HybridZ

ZCC - Custom Tail Project (Rear Spoiler)

palauoriginal

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OK guy'z.... It does look like there would be enough interest for me to take the plunge and make this mold.

So the question's are:

1. Do we round out the shape a bit on the corners of the tail?
  2. Do we lower the leading edge to be a bit more suddle in transition to the hatch?

b, i think the answers/opinions to your questions can be answered once we all see the current spoiler mounted with clear shots from; profile, overhead and rear views. otherwise, it is difficult to gauge how to change it. my 2 cents...

OK guy'z.... It does look like there would be enough interest for me to take the plunge and make this mold.

So the question's are:

2. Do we lower the leading edge to be a bit more suddle in transition to the hatch?

So the question's are:

Yes on rounded shape.

No on leading edge.

Gets my vote.

Indeed. That's my issue with this spoiler. I REALLY like it, but it's just a dress-up piece. If we're going to redesign it, it should follow the findings of the extensive aerodynamic research HybridZ put together. Otherwise, what'd we do it for?

Not trying to pick a fight here, just making a point.

I believe the optimum spoiler shape was found to be 30 degrees from horizontal and 6 1/2" in height.

This is a good-looking spoiler and the only thing keeping me from buying it is the aerodynamic shortcomings.

• Administrators

I believe the optimum spoiler shape was found to be 30 degrees from horizontal and 6 1/2" in height.

This is a good-looking spoiler and the only thing keeping me from buying it is the aerodynamic shortcomings.

Three things...

1) I don't recall the areo findings specifically saying one combination was best (or magic, or ideal, or optimal, or...) If it did, I certainly wouldn't spend any more time reading it :wink:

2) I'm pretty sure the wind tunnel revealed the whale tails and wings to be very effective at producing downforce (more is not always better, incidentally). Personally, I just can't bring myself to installing either on my daily driver. Road race car? Sure. But, not for my back road toy. On the flip side, I'm not interested in the whimpy little (3") duck tail that's so popular. The wind tunnel convinced me it's not worth the trouble. While we haven't tested the sparrow tail, I'm betting it's somewhere in between those extremes (pretty likely on the modest end). It's also a compromise I could live with every day.

3) The sparrow tail might fit into my compromises. However, it's my first point that may keep me from committing to one. Because there is no magic combination, I would really like to have something adjustable. If it wasn't for this reason, I'd probably have ordered a sparrow already. I'm still a definite maybe.

Edited by RTz

Ron,

I guess I wasn't thinking particularly well. Too much urgh, everything really. My justification now would revolve around the relative angle to the downward swooping hatch-line. I'm likely wrong, but it seems that the step doesn't make that much of a difference to the profile, esp as the point of these spoilers is to create high pressure zones by basically stagnating the air as it flows down the hatch. Now that it'd be worse with a smoother edge, just that it doesn't seem worth any increase in price for that mod to be done. I really like this spoiler as I think it will work well with the next level up in aero, like the dual-element wing on the orange race car with wide zgs and rota rbs (the link to which alludes me). Edit: http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=148438&highlight=track+car

Either way, I want one. :)

Dave

I am in for fiberglass one, would like to see the options though (I mean rounded edges, tapered edge). From the pics, I think I like the square edge. By the tapered leading edge, do you mean the side (red circle in Rtz's above pic) or the middle part of the spoiler? Any time line on this, because my money has a tendancy to disappear.