HybridZ

Double Cross Flow Cylinder Head

S130Z

So I came up with this idea the other night for a DOHC double cross flow cylinder head(DCFCH:icon45:). My idea was to have a DOHC head where you have an intake and exhaust valve on each side of the cylinder. This could possibly yeild you two advantages. One being to cross the intake valves to create a swirling effect for a more dense charge. The other advantage would be having two intake manifolds. You can potentially have a different sized runner on each side, one for torque and one side for HP. And sice you would have an intake and exhaust valve per side, you can have two different cam profiles. One profle for torque and one profile for HP.

The throttling would need to be different per manifold also. The torque side manifold would need to open first and then have them both open in your upper RPM's.

(Here is my paint picture I drew as a reference)

DOUBLECROSSFLOW.jpg?t=1258833141

As I continue to ponder on this idea, I come to think of a turbocharged version. On the torque side of the head, run low boost on a small hot side for a quick spool time. On the HP side of the motor, run high flow/boost and a larger hot side for your top end. Since your two intake manifolds are not connected, this eliminates crossing air flow and pressure from the two turbos.

You would also run twice the injectors giving you a greater ability to tune the engine. It's almost like running two completely different cylinder head and intake setups at the same time, just timed differently throughout your RPM's.

• Administrators

Interesting… do you mind if we input, discuss, etc? I love these sort of discussions.. :2thumbs:

I like the concept as seen from the piston for the swirl concept. Keep the valves angled to keep the flow “into” the chamber at an angle forcing the vortex.

Manufacturing/casting would be quite complex with those ports above the chamber with coolant passages surrounding as much of the chamber as possible.

Having twice the induction plumbing and exhaust plumbing could definitely offer some very intricate and aesthetically pleasing bundle of snakes on either side of the valve cover/s. :wink:

Thanks for the input Paul. Everyone, please feel free to input. We don't really have to get into the cooling and production specs on this because as of now it's pure speculation and theory.

And as for the exhaust note for an N/A version......the two slightly different frequencies...(you know where I'm going with this). It may create a "beat frequency", where two similar frequencies cross and create a "vibration" effect.

Why would you need two manifolds on opposite sides of the head? A manifold with equalization runners to make up for differences in the in-head portion of the port would allow this design to function without double manifolds.

Kind of like the 'inline V-6' VW makes now...

V8 has two exhaust manifold, one intake manifold. If this were say an L6 with this idea, it would be two exhaust, two intake. I don't see how that one extra intake (compared to V8) is going to negate anything at all?

&

"More weight.. more parts and greater complexity.. which means more parts to fail or something to go wrong."

It's just the same as a DOHC head, only with 2x intake/exhaust ports...

You'd have the extra intake manifold, 2x injectors (no problem there if it's megasquirt)

2x TB's... http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/1/2656/461/6637730029_large.jpg

300zx's don't seem to have a problem with two intake, tb, (i think some people even use dual map sensors)?

Am I just missing something?

OK, my point is:

The additional weight of the second intake manifold, exhaust header, and related plumbing (probably 40 lbs total) will offset any unproven horsepower gains by the this double crossflow design over a regular crossflow cylinder head.

Thanks for all the input! JohnC you have a good point about the weight. The main subject I really wanted to get at was the ability of having two different profiled cams. It would almost be like having 2 motors in one(not power wise, but having 2 power "ranges").

Very interesting concept, but yea, potentially heavy.

If i were to design something from scratch (even if its just a scratch built head for a certain straight 6) I would probably spend more time in trying to encompass 'proven' ideas straight from top level motorsports type motors.

That or try to find a way to control airflow in and out of the cylinder that doesnt have a restrictive valve head in the way...

OK, I'll just come out an SAY IT: the reason I mentioned VW's "Inline V" was because you would be able to make a 15 degree V12 that LOOKED like an inline six, and had the unequal length runners and all the complexities inherent in a design similar to that originally proposed. Save that at least then you will have 12 cylinders in the space of six...

If you're going to make things complex, get something out of it! Like double the cylinders in the same longitudinal space...and not much more width-wise (not much more wider than a DOHC Head...)

200px-VW_VR5_engine.jpgKleppen_VR6-motor_24V.PNG

OK, I'll just come out an SAY IT: the reason I mentioned VW's "Inline V" was because you would be able to make a 15 degree V12 that LOOKED like an inline six, and had the unequal length runners and all the complexities inherent in a design similar to that originally proposed. Save that at least then you will have 12 cylinders in the space of six...

If you're going to make things complex, get something out of it! Like double the cylinders in the same longitudinal space...and not much more width-wise (not much more wider than a DOHC Head...)

200px-VW_VR5_engine.jpgKleppen_VR6-motor_24V.PNG

...And of course VW already did something along these lines by arranging two VR6's in a conventional "V" to make a W12 that takes up roughly the space of a V8, in case anybody wanted to talk about something that you could actually put your hands on... :mrgreen:

450px-Volkswagen_W12.jpgclassic-concepts-volkswagen-w12-coupe-20070622034151005.jpg

Have you guys seen Colt Cams' staggered lobe profiles for the 'swirl effect'?

Swirl effect for fuel mixture is nice with DI. Why not figure a way to use direct air injection as well? Operate a compressor off of the relatively underutilized alternator electrical supply and inject air as well as fuel. Skip the inlet plumbing altogether. You'd want a high flow, low pressure compressor.