HybridZ

importing?

curious if anyone on this board has any experience importing a pre-75 fairlady? i know about the 25yr rule..but just wanted some feedback on experience dealing with brokers/customs. thanks!

Join the navy and I think you can do it for free? not sure. But why not just buy a Z here? If your looking for a RHD I'm sure you could do a conversion like 280zjoel.

Join the navy and I think you can do it for free? not sure. But why not just buy a Z here? If your looking for a RHD I'm sure you could do a conversion like 280zjoel.

LOL Just buy a RHD Z. Trust me on that one, its a TON of work to do the conversion(the right way at least).

I'm uneducated when it comes to importing. What's the 25 year rule? not trying to thread jack or anything. I'm just curious about this as a fellow californian.

The 25yr law is some stupid ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ law thats prohibits cars from 1976 and up from being smog exempt in California for ever. Its just some other stupid law that california had to make to prove to all the other states how much they suck.

If the States were in a competiton to see who could make the most laws, california would be #1

well actually the 25yr law is you are able to import foreign cars 25 years or older and not have to deal with the insane DOT restrictions, not to be confused with smog exemption of 75 and older.

the only reason why i ask is i have seen a few nice ones in japan that aren't a crazy amount of money. A few months ago I saw an authentic 1976 Fairlady Z on craigslist, and it spiked my curiousity. I have nothing against getting a Z here in the states, but just wondering if anyone had the experience of importing one.

You have to remember the difference in methodology to 'restoration' between here in japan. In the home country, as much emphasis is not made on mechanical or structural sound-ness as it is on looking good visually. That means you may be purchasing a car that looks fantastic but in reality is quite a crap pile as far as rust and/or mechanicals go. It may not look as good at the get go, but if you get a car (from whatever country you like, Ethiopia for what it's worth) that may not look as clean but has as little rust as possible to start with, I think you'll find whatever direction you want to go with it much easier, and that you'll probably be happier in the long run.

Just my .02

Hey they only way a JDM pre 75 Z would be a rust bucket is from sitting out side just like every other Z here in the states. If the car was registered and driven it would have to go through a very intense inspection process for wear and mechanical issues every couple of years. This is very costly and it adds up fast with taxes and parking fees ect.....

I would think you should be fine if it hasn't sat for umpteen years.