HybridZ

Exhaust leak????

Another question; I have Sanderson Headers on this LT1 and a brand spanking new exhaust system. The headers were installed per Sandersons Instructions using RTV instad of the normal gasket The head pipes are installed with a gasket at the collectors. But I can hear a leak and when I put my head over the engine, my eyes burn so there is definately a leak.

Is there a trick to determining where the leak is coming from, Header at the head or the collectors.

If it aint one thing it's another.

Thanks, Larry

Try this. With the engine as cold as can be, get a spray bottle with a heavy soap and water solution in it and spray it on thick where you would suspect a leak. spray it on soon after you crank the car up and look for bubles!

P.S. If the car is too hot, it may evaporate the water!(you probably could have figured that out with out my help though)

I too tried the RTV on the Sanderson headers on both of the LT1's and both times they leaked. I followed Deja's advice awhile ago and picked up a set of EARLS metal/graphite headers and have not had a leak since. Shop around I forget where I got mine but it was $33 shipped.

Greg

I have the stethoscope also but what do you do with it. Run it around the manifolds and collectors and do what? Listen for exhaust noise? I think that these devices work by vibration, not noise.

I use mine based on sounds. Not vibrations. And have found that I can located the noise better by removing the long pointed piece on the end and then use the remaining open end of the stethoscope to move over the search area.

• 3 weeks later...