HybridZ

Why are 240z 9mm rods desirable?

jacob80

Hello,

Just as the thread title states. I have searched, but have not found much information. Many times I come across a site that talks about using them in 3.1 stroker applications. The only thing I can come up with is that they're maybe longer and therefor establish a higher compression ratio? And yes, I DID you the search function. Thanks!

Jacob

Hello,

Just as the thread title states. I have searched, but have not found much information. Many times I come across a site that talks about using them in 3.1 stroker applications. The only thing I can come up with is that they're maybe longer and therefor establish a higher compression ratio? And yes, I DID you the search function. Thanks!

Jacob

They are indeed longer.

Googled: "240z rods longer"

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=100032

You're talking about 9mm 240 rods. I gave away my copy of Honsowetz's book but I think that all the L26 and L28 rods had 9mm bolts. L24 rods are longer than 9mm L28 rods, and the later ones (72-73 I think ???) don't have the weaker 8mm bolts that came in the earlier L16/L24 motors.

You don't use the 9mm rods to get a higher compression ratio. If you just stuck an L28 piston on there for example it would hit the head. You need the right size piston with the correct pin height to compensate for the longer rod, and then you get the dish or dome you want to get the compression ratio you want. What the longer rods do for you is improve the rod/stroke ratio.

Hello,

Jacob

The technical responses above do apply to why the rods are in demand. The Datsun rods are a relatively cheep choice if you can find them compared to having a set of custom rods made or purchasing a set of Kameari rods at about $2200.00 a set.

tell me more about these BB V8 rods.

He's talking about using the Chevy rod BOLTS in the 240Z 9mm rods as a stronger replacement.

The Chevy bolts are supposed to be an upgrade from stock nissan rod bolts and cheaper than going with ARP bolts.

As far as I know you can't use chevy rods in a L6 block...

I posted this in my build thread some time back: http://forums.hybridz.org/showpost.php?p=971311&postcount=21

Also, can someone tell me how you put a name to a link.....I see it in peoples sig or in a thread...it will say click me or my build or something like that and it brings up a link.

In the text editor there is an icon that appears as a small globe with an infinity sign laid on top of it. Mousing the icon over the button and resting there momentarily will reveal a label that says "Insert URL."

Type the text of your link, Blah

Highlight it, then hit that button and paste in the address you wish to link to.

Blah