HybridZ

Pressing out the spindle pin

I'm still working on my spindle pins. Today I went out and got a 12ton press and hacked off the rear LCA. Even after removing the spring and strut mount I found the strut to be very awkward to situate squarely on the press. Since I couldn't get it straight the made in china ram started to bend to one side from not pressing squarely on the pin.

Can someone describe or post pics of how they set their struts in the press?

1) Talk to machine shop. Describe the job.

2) Get quote for said job.

3) Pay in advance for said job.

4) Drop off control arms with spindle pins.

5) Wait 3 days.

6) Go pick up parts and try to placate a very bewildered machinist. :wink:

It worked for me!

Worked for me too! Although they had it done for me in a couple hours..

• 1 month later...

Finally got my spindle pins out!!!

I'll describe the process for the sake of the thread:

First I disassembled the struts so that there was very little weight hanging off the spindle pin end of things.

Then I went to a shop with a sturdy 20 ton press. This is much better than the press I bought because it has some telescopic rods that keep the ram assembly perpendicular to the jack. (mine was allowing slight misalignment)

We placed the bottom of the strut on top of a piece of aluminum that had a hole that was about 5mm larger than the spindle pin and we machined a piece that was about .5mm smaller than the pin.

We applied full force with the press... and nothing happened.

We brought out the oxyacetylene torch and heated up around the spindle pin.

More pressure... and finally it budged. We had to keep the strut/hub hot to continue to remove the pin, otherwise it would stop moving.

I have replaced the pin with a 5/8x10" bolt. I'm NEVER putting stock spindle pins back on my car.

Judging from all the corrosion on the pins when they were removed, I can guess that mine were up there among some of the "impossible" pins. This is the most effective way to do it. We even tried an air hammer with no results.

Good luck to anyone trying to remove their pins!

I didn't use a bucket, but I definitely sprayed pb blaster over the accessible spots (both ends and lock pin area) several times before attempting to do anything with the pins.

I really don't think it helped at all... but maybe a bucket would.

I didn't use a bucket, but I definitely sprayed pb blaster over the accessible spots (both ends and lock pin area) several times before attempting to do anything with the pins.

I really don't think it helped at all... but maybe a bucket would.

when i removed the spindle pin from a friends s30, we put the spindle in the vice and put the control arm on the bench to counter act the force of hitting it with a hammer, then we bought a gallon of PB, broke out the oxy/acy torch, got the metal VERY hot, poured some PB on it, let it soak for 7 minutes, took a 10 pound sledge whacked it for 5 minutes. Ended up repeating that process about 4 time and it finally came out.

When i pulled my own spindle pins by myself, I got two gallons of PB in a small bucket and let the entire spindle soak, from a couple inches on the control arm to the entire spindle itself for about 24 hours, then i put it in the press. after about 30 minutes with the torch and even more PB, it came out fairly easy.

when i removed the spindle pin from a friends s30, we put the spindle in the vice and put the control arm on the bench to counter act the force of hitting it with a hammer, then we bought a gallon of PB, broke out the oxy/acy torch, got the metal VERY hot, poured some PB on it, let it soak for 7 minutes, took a 10 pound sledge whacked it for 5 minutes. Ended up repeating that process about 4 time and it finally came out.

When i pulled my own spindle pins by myself, I got two gallons of PB in a small bucket and let the entire spindle soak, from a couple inches on the control arm to the entire spindle itself for about 24 hours, then i put it in the press. after about 30 minutes with the torch and even more PB, it came out fairly easy.

I'm pretty sure the heat was what got your spindle pins out, not the PB blaster.

Like I said earlier, we let the pin cool down after we had only removed it 1/2 way, and when we put it back in the press it wouldn't move. Once we got it back up to temp it slid out like butter again.