HybridZ

My Car is FINALLY painted!!!! Lots-O-Pics

Rimal310

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish I could find a community college around my area that offered a program like that. Stupid Colorado.

Douglas county Highschool has a Auto shop but I am not sure on what their whole policy is I will check it out more when that time comes around but I might be able to get in without being enrolled as a Student.

Douglas county Highschool has a Auto shop but I am not sure on what their whole policy is I will check it out more when that time comes around but I might be able to get in without being enrolled as a Student.

Let me know what you find out. I'd love to do it at home, but I don't have a good air compressor or gun. Plus, I don't think the wife will like me parking her 2008 STI outside.

Let me know what you find out. I'd love to do it at home, but I don't have a good air compressor or gun. Plus, I don't think the wife will like me parking her 2008 STI outside.

Hmm I know a guy here in castle rock who is into Z's and the last time I talked to him he owned a big storage place and offered to paint my Z, So If you just need a place to do it and a compressor he might be willing to help you out, I might have to give him a call.

Thanks guys!!!!

I'll get more pics up as soon as time opens up and i start working on the car again.

Decided to take a break for the car since the long stretch to get it painted. The car has been sitting collecting dust since i brought it back from the shop BUT class is starting again next week so i will be getting some paint in the engine bay, cowl, headlight buckets, floors(por 15) and begin putting the car back together.

my goal was to have it ready for the MSA auto show but i just found out it's in April, which isn't realistic unless i tow it half done. maybe ill make it in time for JCCS.

Thanks again for the compliments and can't wait to actually be posting pics of the car put together

• 2 months later...

It's been a while since i last updated mainly because it's been just as long since i really did any significant work on my car but i finally put a good few hours into it yesterday and damn it felt good to work on it.

in the last few months i have slowly repaired all of the rust in my engine bay and the wheel wells.

next week if work does get to hectic i will be shooting it with POR15. I didn't know this but you can primer directly over POR15 without sanding. So i have been told and read.

Anyone have any experience with this?

I was thinking about shooting the POR15 on the floors and inside at the same time if time permits.

I was also thinking about maybe just stopping after the por15 and keeping it the gray color of the POR15. Time is not on my side anymore with 50 to 60 hours of work a week so this would definitely speed up completing the project.

What do you guys think i should do?

like i said time is not on my side so i am torn, it's so bad that the thought of selling the project also has crossed my mind. I get a little sick in the stomach just thinking about getting rid of the car especially since i have dedicated so much time and i already have everything i need to complete my Turbo project. It would make life easier especially for the right price.

regardless, i want to have the car completely painted before i decide what i want to do with it, put it back together or part it out.

Well i will hopefully have pictures of my progress next week.

Whatever you do, use a paint suit and fresh air supply mask - POR15 is a water catalyst paint and if you get it in your lungs, it can do remarkable damage, much more than your typical paint.

Also, if you spray it, make sure to have moisture traps or some way of keeping moisture out of the gun.

POR can be sprayed, with the right thinner, some significant safety measures, and the right setup, but it still isn't suggested. It actually brushes on pretty nice!

Rimal your the man baby! getting me motivated.I realy love the the paint color.Gotta get my Z up and running well before i hit the cosmetics.Probably next year.But i gotta come back to your post when i'm ready.Is the Z running? if so bring it to the temecula z show at the end of this month.I'm hoping to go.Awesome job!

Whatever you do, use a paint suit and fresh air supply mask - POR15 is a water catalyst paint and if you get it in your lungs, it can do remarkable damage, much more than your typical paint.

Also, if you spray it, make sure to have moisture traps or some way of keeping moisture out of the gun.

POR can be sprayed, with the right thinner, some significant safety measures, and the right setup, but it still isn't suggested. It actually brushes on pretty nice!

I'll actually be spraying everything in a professional paint booth at the auto body shop in my class with a air respirator and a full suit and gloves. I'm taking every safety measure with this stuff.

After this project i have some pretty good experience with painting so i should be good and I'm having g a buddy who's sprayed POR15 in the booth with me so i should be good.

POR 15 sells there line of reducer which is a little less the $15 a quart and luckily the Finish Masters near my house carries it.

what measures should i take to keep moisture out of the gun?

Thanks for the insight and safety tips!! You're helping me stay alive :)

Agreed on safety measures. I would not do it unless i had a full body setup and a booth. It can really kill you. FAST. You see what it does when it dries. Imagine that in your lungs.

Very true...on top of that, i don't think the smoking will help much either!! :huh:

Your new paint looks awesome. It inspires me to get back to work on my zx's body and paint. I'm a big fan of blue.

Thanks doode!! I'm glad i can help inspire you! it took me paying for an auto body paint class to keep me trucking along in my project.i always liked the way blue looked on our Z's and ZX's

Rimal your the man baby! getting me motivated.I realy love the the paint color.Gotta get my Z up and running well before i hit the cosmetics.Probably next year.But i gotta come back to your post when i'm ready.Is the Z running? if so bring it to the temecula z show at the end of this month.I'm hoping to go.Awesome job!

Thanks man! a little motivation can go a far way! i should have probably gotten my Z running before the paint process but i bought it as a project and everything was already taken apart and ready for paint so i just started with the paint from there. I have an L28et waiting to be dropped in my baby and my original plan was to have that done by the end of the year but work is taking up to much time so no idea of when it will actually be even drivable.

Just had a 4 hour meeting about the scope of my next project at work and it doesn't look like i will be able to finish my project for a while and well i don't have space to store it anymore.

Anyone have any idea on what my rolling chassis would be valued at? 100s of hours of work into the car.

- Completely painted and rust free($800 including paint and material)

- new floors with por15

- tubular subframe rails por15

- Rust free and por15 engine bay

- Wheels wells cut and welded for ZG flares

optional parts - I can part these separately but might be easier to sell chassis with suspension

- ground control coil overs 200r 225f weight($400)

- Tokico HP struts($300)

- Sectioned strut tubes($400)

- Axis Banzai Rims and Nitto tires(~$1300)

okay im going to go throw up now :wacko:

Where are you located? Maybe some one close can come help you get it running and finished faster. If you have a weekend free or something just invite alot of z'rs over and supply the beer and pizza.

Im in Southern California. I thought about doing that but right now just doesn't seem like the right time to have a project like this. I definitely want to do it again at a later time in my life. Thanks for the suggestion though!

• 1 month later...

Back in business.

here are some updates.

Finished all Rust repair in the engine bay, trans bay and wheel wells. I pulled off the entire front suspension and had the car sitting on jack stands and shot both the bay and wheel wells at the same time.

Shot the entire bay and wheel wells with POR15. Surprisingly it shot easily reduced NO MORE then 5%, the finish reminds me of powder coating and made rust repair so much easier.

I used a scotch bright and wire wheel with most of the rust.

Didn't have to worry about getting it to bare metal because this stuff sticks better to rust.

Used a D/A on the rest of the bay.

Took a wire wheel and brush to the wheels well.

Prepped all of the metal and Sprayed!

insidedrivers.jpg

frontpasangle.jpg

frontpainted.jpg

passengerbaypainted.jpg

a few second video i found when i first brought it home after paint...this is Pre Color Sanding

th_MVI_0565.jpg

So Shinny!