HybridZ

My Car is FINALLY painted!!!! Lots-O-Pics

Rimal310

After about a year of body work i FINALLY got some color on my 240z!:mparty:

I wish I would have kept a build page on the paint as i was doing it but i did take pictures along the way!

I apologize in advance for the mix of cell phone and camera pics.

First day in my driveway

- Most of the body panels were pretty straight but i had better fenders, doors and hatch that i had previously been working on.

- Shell had new sub frame, new floors, totally gutted, and very little rust(Thanks Cameron).

DSC03273.jpg

DSC03273.jpg

I took a auto body shop class at the local community college and was able to do a lot of my work there. This was the first time i EVER did any kind of body work.

I was learning it as i was doing it so the first few months were a challenge.

I still had lots of major body work to do here but for the sake of my sanity i wanted to get a coat of primer on it.

IMG_0191.jpg

IMG_0195.jpg

Now with primer!

tankdoorpanelrandom005.jpg

tankdoorpanelrandom007.jpg

MORE BODY WORK.....

More primer - and wet sanding

susdoorstires001.jpg

Rims came in and i got a little excited so i threw on my suspension, wheels, and flares...Took off the wheels before starting the body work.

WedDec23124957PST2009.jpg

WedDec23125014PST2009.jpg

WedDec23124920PST2009.jpg

one more coat of primer and final wet sanding

-TIME TO PAINT

After months of going back and forth with different color options i settled with Monterrey Blue from the 2010 370z. here's a picture.

WedDec23134206PST2009.jpg

After 2 coats of color

WedDec23134158PST2009.jpg

After the last coat of color!!!

I'm the giant with my hands in the air! there is a huge smile behind that respirator!:mrgreen:

WedDec23134154PST2009.jpg

Now for the clear....

WedDec23134145PST2009.jpg

WedDec23134050PST2009.jpg

Back in the garage! This color had more pearl then the guys at Finish Masters had ever mixed and in person you can really see it.

IMG_0569.jpg

IMG_0568.jpg

IMG_0566.jpg

IMG_0576.jpg

Experimenting with gray colored flares. Still undecided if i want to go with that gray or black.

FriJan08175814PST2010.jpg

FriJan08180143PST2010.jpg

FriJan08175929PST2010.jpg

Overall, I'm very happy with the color. I found a few imperfections in the body work that i was a little unhappy(furious) with but can't knock myself to hard, it was a mad rush to get the car in the booth the last day of class. and it was my first paint job ever.

There are a lot of runs in the clear but i'll be color sanding and buffing the car so I'm fine with them.

I will keep posting updates as i get the car back together and color sanded.

If you have never painted or done body work, I HIGHLY recommend taking an auto body shop class at a Community College or whereever. i paid about $100 bucks a semester and was able to use all of the shops quality tools, someone elses garage, a professional paint and primer booth and had a professional teaching me along the way. Made some good friends in the process as well. I'll be taking it again next semester at El Camino Community College(Torrance) on Tuesday and Thursdays from 5:30 to 10:00pm if there is anyone in the Southbay area in Southern Cali.

HUGE THANKS TO ANDRE(The guy in the booth with me), CRISTINE(that guys women) and COUSIN ALVIN(1badgtspecb HybridZ member) FOR HELPING ME ALONG THE WAY!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The color turned out very nice looking with the extra metallic in it. I did the same thing to a go-kart I recently painted in my auto body class :mrgreen: I second the motion for auto body classes at community colleges: they are affordable, well run (from what I have seen), and have decent equipment you can use. My CC allows me to come back anytime and work on projects there even though I am not enrolled :D

Painting the ZG flares black will make the wheels "pop" a bit more. Either way, it still looks good.

Davy

I have to say you should paint them body color. To me different color ZG flairs just make it look like you threw them on and its an afterthought. And And IMO you put so much work into that paint why would you want to have something look like an afterthought?? Its a complete package. When was the last time you saw a modern car have different color fenders than the rest of the body?? I painted my ZG's body color and I couldn't of been happier. I put them on when they where still black but it just looked unfinished. Either way your car looks great and i love the color.

Thank you all for your kind words!!!:mrgreen:

I have to say you should paint them body color. To me different color ZG flairs just make it look like you threw them on and its an afterthought. And And IMO you put so much work into that paint why would you want to have something look like an afterthought?? Its a complete package. When was the last time you saw a modern car have different color fenders than the rest of the body?? I painted my ZG's body color and I couldn't of been happier. I put them on when they where still black but it just looked unfinished. Either way your car looks great and i love the color.

my next option is to paint the the same color as the car. good thing about these flares is that they're easy to sand and re-paint!

I have been following your build for a while. You have done a great job. I love the color.

I have never done paint and body. You make a great point about taking a class. I am gonna look into this in my area.

the class is totally worth it.....especially if you are painting, i've seen shops rent out paint booths for $100 for 4 hours and all you have to do with the class is sign up!

Thats BEAUTIFUL! Awesome to see yet another person going with a new stock z color. (mine is 2004 350z daytona blue)

that Daytona Blue was also one of the options i was looking at! i really wanted to stick with the Nissan and datsun theme throughout the entire car...next is a VQ motor:flamedevi

QUOTE: "and it was my first paint job ever."

It's always good to see one of out cars being brought back to life. Keep up the good work!

thanks! i haven't felt that much fulfillment from any thing in a while....well i guess there was college..haha

The color turned out very nice looking with the extra metallic in it. I did the same thing to a go-kart I recently painted in my auto body class :mrgreen: I second the motion for auto body classes at community colleges: they are affordable, well run (from what I have seen), and have decent equipment you can use. My CC allows me to come back anytime and work on projects there even though I am not enrolled :D

Painting the ZG flares black will make the wheels "pop" a bit more. Either way, it still looks good.

Davy

they said there is actually more pearl then anything else.hopefully i'll be able to do the same with my class!

i'm going to spray one side black as well and compare the two.

Interesting color/wheel/zg combination... Looks good, Id like to see the finished product.

And yes I know that feeling all too well of finally getting your car painted. :)

Best feeling ever!!

interesting always scares me!!!:wink:

wow, thats your first paint... good job, no i take that back extremely awsome job...

Thanks!!! i practiced the speed, distance and motions when i was priming which really helped with the base coat but the clear coat really threw me off. had to shoot it closer and slower to make sure to get good coverage.

WOW Rimal, that thing looks flippin SWEET:2thumbs:

thanks Joel! can't wait to see your right hand drive back up and running. ohh yeah and i need to talk to you and your brother about something that you two may find pretty interesting. I'll call you tomorrow!

One heck of a job Bro! I must say that I have a lot of respect for you for really taking the time that you have taken to get the car to this point. That is going to be one beautiful classic. Keep it up..

Thanks brotha/cousin!! i may have paint but you beat me to actually being able to drive the car! i even left the seat(white bucket) on the driver side for you! haha

Looks like I will soon have a new desktop picture!!!! Love everything about your Z

Your comment makes me want to brew a pot of coffee and spend the rest of the night getting my car back together! hopefully this weekend i can get the engine bay ready for primer and paint. thanks for the motivation!:mrgreen: