HybridZ

turbo motor

txevo

i have a chance to buy a 83 turob motor in the 1500$ range. i would like to put in my 79zx. the guy that has it said it has p90a heads. dont know if thats the one to have or not. also would like to know if the ecu harnes for the turbo hooks up to the 79 or do i have to chop chop to make it work. he also said that the motor has all i need to just drop it in. is the 1500$ a good deal or what would be a good price for it

thx for any help

you can probably buy a running 280zxt for 1500 bucks and no it ain't just a drop in you need ecu and maf for a starter plus the wiring harness. $1500 the guy must have thought you were a tuna with a 2/0 hook already set. P90a heads are standard issue. do a search plenty of info on how to do it and what you need with a leettle effort on your part.

Is the motor completely rebuilt? If it is and was done properly then I dont see why it wouldnt cost that much. If it is not and has just been canabalized<---spellcheck...lol then I would not do it. I just sold a zxt engine to a member here with everything he needs to to the swap for $500 dollars. Well I did forget to give him the oil pump. My bad. Frick frac, if you still need the pump let me know. LOL Plus I threw in some extra parts.

But he doesn't get everything he needs plus he will have spend more money buying the harness, the ecu, a transmission(optional), swapping it etc, that's even if he's lucky enough to run into those parts for that much money you can do quite a bit of upgrades to the car itself or the engine.

Really depends on the person if you got the money to buy it, seriously put a limit to certains things like that, why over pay for a motor almost 30 years old, really good motor but $1500 is too high for me.

MY HELP TO YOU KEEP LOOKING & LEARN THE MOTOR SO THAT NO ONE SELLS YOU THERE JUNK, I LEARNED THE HARD WAY!!!

Unless the seller can provide proof of a recent and complete rebuild I would have to pass. And even with a complete rebuild at that price there had better be a few performance mods or a freshly rebuilt turbo. L28et's are not that hard to find if you search diligently. I just bought a complete but rusty 83 280ZXT with a manual trans for $300 so there are deals to be had.

Sold Clean well decomented 2seaters and 2+2 Turbo ZX's for 3k-6k range....

Where is the $1000 ZXT are??!

Those cars you are talking about are the 4k+ on craigslist cars, the ones members are talking about are the beat up good for daily driving, 3-4-5 owners, never going to be restored cars.

Thats why they sell for 1k- and yours are 3k+

Those cars you are talking about are the 4k+ on craigslist cars, the ones members are talking about are the beat up good for daily driving, 3-4-5 owners, never going to be restored cars.

Thats why they sell for 1k- and yours are 3k+

I bought my 82' 280zx 2+2 for a little over 1200$

I kinda rushed into it, and didnt even try to get the price down!

What a mistake! I could've gotten it cheaper even if it was 100, thats a good enough difference i wish i would've made. Although, im just 17 and i bought the car with all the money i had just earned at 16, I was too excited to finally get it, that i didnt question it enough before i put the down payment on it. The car has some problems as of right now, but IMO from what i've seen and read, the car is in pretty good condition. I just wish i would've saved some money and used it to better restore my car. But its okay, i love doing all the work on it, and getting to know my car. I highly enjoy it, and plan to keep the car for life.

Live and learn. I sure did. For the better.

Guest Rolling Parts

It's a good deal IF the engine/turbo/Injectors have been rebuilt and IF he includes the harness/ECU. It's a terrible deal if it's an original engines that's old, tired, and leaky after 30 years so even rebuilding it yourself will cost well over $1,200. Expect a lot of time on conversion because it won't just "drop in" and run. You will need to at least consider adapting the exhaust or replacing it.

As said, read up on the Turbo conversion, larger clutch, beefier r200 and half shafts, etc. it's the easiest engine swap but that does not mean that it's a piece of cake.

• 3 weeks later...

$1500 is a little high. Light most people have said, if its include mods or rebuilt. I bought my drive train with BW T5, basically everything from the front of the engine to the rear end for that price. Engine had been rebuilt 35k ago. When I heard it before pulling it, sound great. Look on CL, ebay and here too for a deal.