HybridZ

CLSD diff???

lgoodson@pacbell.net

Yeah, hard to tell from the angle the pic was taken. I don't think it is an open diff though. Open R200 have a cast piece that holds the spider gears, two large opening and two solid sides. This one looks closed off all around, also looks like it has wear marks indicating the metal piece to the right of the ring gear slides to the right a bit at times.

That's a short nose R200 but the guts look the same. I've had both apart at the same time before.

Honestly though I have not seen a CLSD or VLSD open infront of me. Only open diffs and a few I have welded :)

-Ed

I have a CLSD open and I went back and forth from my computer comparing the one in the add and there were clear differences between the two. For one thing, the clutch pack housing has a squared off end to it opposite of the ring gear. The one in the add has a beveled end instead of a flat perpendicular end. I have no doubt that the guy pulled it from a 87 Turbo car but people in need of cash are swaping them out for cash. As I said, I just pulled one like that up in SunValley a couple days ago.

And I just bought a lsd from someone who was doing the swap for cash.

The 4 pinion open diff has to have a closed carrier because the cross pin is shaped like a + unlike an open carrier which has a crosspin shaped like a | If you have the | shaped carrier you put a spider gear at either end and have a surface to locate the side gears, and the rest of the carrier can be an open window. A 4 pinion doesn't give you that option, the carrier has to bolt together like this one does in order to house 4 pinions inside and it ends up looking like a clutch LSD. The CLSD has an angled cross pin shaft.

It doesn't really look like the VLSD either:

Dscf0109.jpg

Just saw this on ebay. Looks like a open diff to me I should know, I just pulled one yesterday out of a 77 Turbo that wasn't a lsd. $300.

Check it out but be carefull.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300397989018&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME%3AB%3ASS%3AUS%3A1123

BTW: Early 87 300zx turbos DID NOT have an LSD or a finned cover...