HybridZ

anybody know about roller throttle bodies

jdizzy204

It seems these are much more responsive than regular butterfly throttles but they dont seem to be getting much use at all. Are there any downfalls to this technology versus ITBs (for a sort of apples to apples comparison)?

roller throttle

itb%20transparent.jpg

versus ITBs

0801_impp_01_z+individual_throttle_bodies+itb_setup.jpg

I would think the only difference is that there is no restriction at all during full throttle from the throttle plate, since the roller doesn't have a throttle plate. ie: the throttle plate is still in the path of the air, just has a significantly reduce profile when at full throttle. The roller throttle seems to have no restriction, but would that really make a noticeable power difference to warrant something which looks extremely complicated to manufacture?

I have looked in to this a couple of times and find that people that have them conplain about part throttle trobles. I have been told and can see that the roller throttle bodies are better as on/off switches, then as throttle bodies.

I have looked in to this a couple of times and find that people that have them conplain about part throttle trobles. I have been told and can see that the roller throttle bodies are better as on/off switches, then as throttle bodies.

Exactly what I've heard as well.

Yeah, I have heard that there are modulation issues as well, mainly to do with the shorter path the air has to travel on partial throttle as compare with a butterfly valve. I'd bet that this could be solved with a cam shaped throttle pulley though.

I have heard similar complaints with slide throttles as well...

Looking at the roller design, I can see it causing much more turbulance as the air at part throttle slips through the opening into a larger interior, and then meets the other face of the tube with the small opening above a ledge.