HybridZ

Reproduction Dash

xonix_digital

I find it pretty hard to believe that this topic hasn't been covered yet but my searches yielded no results.

Why isn't there an affordable 240z Dashboard option available? MSA has these for $2500. Used in good condition you can find them for $1000 on ebay.

What is stopping someone from Reproducing this inexpensively???

Thanks,

- Alex

Well it might be easier just to make the foam part of the dash a reproduction, so you could just screw it into you existing metal frame. The problem with this though is shipping, you would need a fairly large box and what would you do to keep it from cracking? These are just some of the things I thought when I heard about this.

Well it might be easier just to make the foam part of the dash a reproduction, so you could just screw it into you existing metal frame. The problem with this though is shipping, you would need a fairly large box and what would you do to keep it from cracking? These are just some of the things I thought when I heard about this.

That's what I was talking about. I don't need a new frame.

Armor all actually really helps keep it from cracking. It puts moisture into the dash, there actually is science behind those products not just "Lets make the dash all shiny".

Armor all actually really helps keep it from cracking. It puts moisture into the dash, there actually is science behind those products not just "Lets make the dash all shiny".

Yes I was aware of that and also Armor all can only do so much, I was talking about if someone here wanted to make their own reproductions and sell them they might have problems with them cracking during shipping such as someone dropping the box etc. Even if you package them well you could still have small stress cracks from twisting which could lead to larger cracks. Armor all works great for vinyl when it is in place but I bet it wouldn't prevent cracking when shipping or a large impact such as dropping. I had recently read a thread where a member used bed-liner to recover his dash foam, So off the frame, and he had problems with cracking only until he installed the dash foam onto the frame. After that he could only use 6 screws to hold it in place before it would crack again. After all this he hasn't had anymore issues, but still this could be a problem if someone was shipping.

Edit: Found the link to the thread. I think it is post #20

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php?/topic/83443-ritrebor-socal-240z/page__p__858585__hl__8%20screws%20dash__fromsearch__1entry858585

The original intention of my comment how will you ship it if someone does make reproductions so that it won't crack? Even after it ships can you make sure it won't crack when it is taken out of the box and installed? One good Idea might be to make a pressure formed plastic mold to make reproductions or something similar that can be flexible, won't fade, and look decent/stock for the price. Another point if you do make reproductions will you have the supplies, tools, and resources to make it shippable? I'm sure the larger companies have found ways to combat cracking and other issues, but will the normal person be able to come across these materials?

Just a few thoughts

Edited by 19752802+2

Hey man, I was definitely planning on using some form of molded plastic or ABS. I'm not sure what material you were envisioning that is so fragile.. Fiberglass???

I contacted a few plastics molders and they were only interested in jobs of 10000 or more. I think thats a bit out of my league for now.

The problem is the cost of developing an ABS mold. If the demand was there, and I could convince a bank that there were 10000 people dying for these things, then maybe we could get this thing done. For now though i think i may have to figure out another way.

Hey man, I was definitely planning on using some form of molded plastic or ABS. I'm not sure what material you were envisioning that is so fragile.. Fiberglass???

I was mainly thinking of foam and fiberglass but Molded plastic and ABS sound like a great material.

Shpping....

Isn't that what styrofoam is for??

And as for Armor All, I will cut off my thumbs before I use it on my vinyl ever again. The one thing I have an "in" for is detailing supplies (my brother runs a company that blends and packages their own stuff, it is top-notch, and detailing supply is a HUGE business down here) and all I ever use is a dressing they make in house that is called Maarvelous. It looks like someone took Hair Conditioner and diluted it with milk, but it feels like massage oil for leather and vinyl.

But if you ask me, Armor All is nasty stuff that eventually dries out your vinyl, leather, and plastic.. unles, of course, you obediently buy a new bottle every six months and keep applying it.

But if you ask me, Armor All is nasty stuff that eventually dries out your vinyl, leather, and plastic.. unles, of course, you obediently buy a new bottle every six months and keep applying it.

x2

Plus, I've never been a fan of the greasy feeling it leaves on everything.

I contacted a few plastics molders and they were only interested in jobs of 10000 or more. I think thats a bit out of my league for now.

The problem is the cost of developing an ABS mold. If the demand was there, and I could convince a bank that there were 10000 people dying for these things, then maybe we could get this thing done. For now though i think i may have to figure out another way.

Well then, it looks like you have handily answered your own question! :blink:

Just buck up enough for 10K units, and you can give them away cheaply enough. Don't use the bank, though interest would run up the costs. Just do it cash. You'll get your money back eventually. Probably. Maybe.

Dash caps are available out there, I believe they are ABS already...