HybridZ

ModernS30's 1972 Datsun 240z

Well, some of you already know I got a 240z shell. Already done lots of work. Just ordered a windshield seal but I am going to need more than just that. Need a fuel cell and a lot of other things still. Here are pictures and will start trying to post updates regularly.

pic0354c.jpg

pic0359x.jpg

pic0357.jpg

pic0355p.jpg

pic0356z.jpg

pic0358e.jpg

dscn4794j.jpg

dscn4796.jpg

dscn4802u.jpg

dscn4793h.jpg

dscn4787f.jpg

dscn4792r.jpg

dscn4788.jpg

dscn4798ce.jpg

dscn4791.jpg

dscn4795e.jpg

dscn4789t.jpg

dscn4790z.jpg

dscn4803g.jpg

dscn4804.jpg

dscn4806v.jpg

dscn4807e.jpg

dscn4808.jpg

dscn4809i.jpg

dscn4810.jpg

dscn4811z.jpg

dscn4812p.jpg

dscn4813d.jpg

dscn4814.jpg

dscn4816h.jpg

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, that car is soooo much better than your 280Z. I will admit, I am definitely jealous of how solid it is. Is there any rust at all?

Are you scrapping your 280Z? Based on what others have said on this site, I think you would be MUCH better off getting a spare tire well to weld in, and getting a stock fuel tank.

Wow, that car is soooo much better than your 280Z. I will admit, I am definitely jealous of how solid it is. Is there any rust at all?

Are you scrapping your 280Z? Based on what others have said on this site, I think you would be MUCH better off getting a spare tire well to weld in, and getting a stock fuel tank.

280z will be scrapped. I believe I have a buyer for the roof. Why, what have others said? Flat tire issues? The way the fuel goes? I am already going to be using 240z lines for a EFI engine. Not sure how but I am. Just have to figure out getting it all plumbed right. There is some rust but not to much, in the weed compartment there is a hole. Then I need to take the underside to bare again. Undercoating was done poorly. I am going to seal all the welds and seams in the patches and then redo the undercoating, probably with bed liner. Something like Rhino Liner or Line-X is the idea. R200 is going to be going in this, as well as rear disk brakes.

Edited by ModernS30

Hmm, well I would be getting this Racing fuel cell. Already has a cage, came out of a dirt oval car. It's a real one with a blatter I believe. I know there are issues, isn't that what surge tanks are for? I haven't had a spare in a while. I get sloshing is an issue. I have been really bent on which way I want to go. I was planing an under floor mount where I only saw the cap to fill it up really. Man, your making this harder for me! I really need to get my brakes wiring and fuel system set up. I am also going to be using the other drivers door shell I have because the one I purchased did have some rust on it that I am not happy with. The other shell is 100% clean. But then I need body work. Decided on a paint job though, I was going to have a shop do it but seeing as how they aren't getting back with me I am going to have to figure out my own way. Pics later.

EDIT: Oh and its bed time for me, now almost 1am work at 7:30 am, still gotta get up and get gas in the morning! UGH! Plus it is supposed to rain like a mofo and I work for 11 hours tomorrow! FUN!

Edited by ModernS30

Interior harness is going in. Got some fastener zip ties and stuff to get them in there. Its starting to come together. Still need the fuel cell and to do that stuff. Need 240z heater core stuff but I might have to figure out mine.

Today my brain went. Holy **** I am supposed to have this car on wheels and running by the 7th. That's less than 10 days. Then I went, yep, that's not gonna happen. As it is I don't have enough money for a fuel cell or anything to get the fuel system set up. I am most likely just going to be using the stock 280z fuel pump because its what I will have. I am a tad worried about the FPR. I don't really know what is the factory one so I am most likely going to have to buy an adjustable one. Really could have used fuel injectors. I still need fuel lines and stuff. Still need to swap the rear ends. The brakes still need done. Man, I have lots ahead of me. I will be swapping brakes most likely tomorrow. Just the fronts and probably trying to get the parking brake out and swapped over. I would take pictures but I am to tired. I think its time for bed. Head ache, almost falling asleep at work. For some reason I sleep plenty but I still feel like crap. Never awake.

Nice GC!!!

I'm trying to get my 96 Impreza OBS Wagon running/driving by mid-May, and it has no motor, tranny, diff or CVs, AND I still have to pull the current harness and convert it to OBD1. [i'm throwing a 91 EJ22/5MT into the OBS to be a rallyX/autoX project and hopefully a daily driver]

You can do it!

Get on AIM if you want to chat it up, maybe you can teach me something about these Subarus.

Is your aim posted in your profile? I really love the Impreza. One bad thing about mine is its throwing 11 ECU codes. All the 02 sensors speed controls, air fuel ratio, and idle control valve are "bad" but the car runs fine. Honestly don't think they are bad I think it is one of those. TO MANY MILES! REPLACE THESE THINGS! codes. Its only got 175XXX but it runs like a champ. Takes a beating too.

EDIT: I forgot to mention. Its EJ22, 5 speed, 97 coupe if you didn't notice that much.

Edited by ModernS30

Bad news. Some how I actually snapped the 240z stub axle? Yes, it broke, how? Idk. Also, somebody please help me with this. The stupid back part of the stub axle wont come off the half shaft. It is litterally like it is welded to it. Nothing seems to break them apart, it only breaks other things. Big issue is I need the 280z ones, but I can't put the 240z one back in now due to it being broken. So how the hell do I load the 280z on a trailer? Another setback. Maybe I should just talk to my dad and see if I can just get a 240sx rear end and fit it under there. Would give more opportunity for modification with ease as well. Any ideas? Hammer and stuff doesn't work. Like I said, just somehow ended up breaking the 240z stub axle.

• 2 weeks later...

Pictures to come tomorrow. Not much work done. Window seal has been here for a while. Ordered new steering rack bushings. Going to buy an OBX on Friday and then I am going to order a washer and bolt set as soon as I have more money for that. Found out why the 280z diff was crunchy and horrid sounding. Popped the rear case off. One of the alignment dowel pins in sheared. Again, pictures tomorrow. Fenders were taken back to bare and primed.

Still need to get the brake brackets made just having issues with money at the moment. I am not getting any hours at work so I am going to have to get another job it looks like. I can't be building a car and only working one day a week. Just not going to happen. Still need a fuel cell. To figure out my fuel system. Need to get the hole differential deal figured out. Need to figure out finishing up the wiring. So much work to do, not enough money to buy the stuff I need to do it. I really wanted to go EDIS as well, just not going to happen. Man, can't wait till I have to register it too, title was signed in 08, car hasn't been registered since 89.

Basic idea of what I am going to be set back right now after buying stuff.

10 Gallon fuel Cell - 180 (shipped)

OBX LSD - 395 (shipped)

Washer and bolt set for OBX - 32 (shipped)

Lines - ? Hopefully not to much

Caliper Brackets - Hopefully no more than 100

Random odds and ends - ?

Obviously I am going to need to make a little better of a list. Basically I need to figure out where I am at and how much it is going to take to get this thing on the road. I have wheels and tires so that is not on my budget right now, what I have works so what I have is going on. I will get some money back from crushing the rust bucket that dreams of being a car in the driveway. I need to post some stuff up for sale as well. Anybody need 280z interior parts? Cheap, don't care just need the extra money.

OBX LSD - 395 (shipped)

Obviously I am going to need to make a little better of a list. Basically I need to figure out where I am at and how much it is going to take to get this thing on the road. I have wheels and tires so that is not on my budget right now, what I have works so what I have is going on. I will get some money back from crushing the rust bucket that dreams of being a car in the driveway. I need to post some stuff up for sale as well. Anybody need 280z interior parts? Cheap, don't care just need the extra money.

Good luck on getting it done in 2 months, alot of work ahead of you. What you have done so far looks great though. Nice rust free frame.

Hey, I have heard bad things about the OBX LSD, but only from Honda Guys, what is your feel on it?

Also, PM on the parts.

Edited by Geking

Hey, I have heard bad things about the OBX LSD, but only from Honda Guys, what is your feel on it?

The OBX has worked fine for many members here with some modifications. Check out TrumpetRhapsody's thread on the gear swap and washer/bolt upgrade.

Modern:

I got my Impreza Outback Sport from fully stock [with no drivetrain] to OBD1 swap + motor/tranny swap in a little less than a week. You'll be fine, as long as your lack of funds doesn't set you back. You're in High School still so I'm assuming you have alot of time on your hands during the summer :) Good luck, hit me up if I can help in any way.

The OBX has worked fine for many members here with some modifications. Check out TrumpetRhapsody's thread on the gear swap and washer/bolt upgrade.

Modern:

I got my Impreza Outback Sport from fully stock [with no drivetrain] to OBD1 swap + motor/tranny swap in a little less than a week. You'll be fine, as long as your lack of funds doesn't set you back. You're in High School still so I'm assuming you have alot of time on your hands during the summer :) Good luck, hit me up if I can help in any way.

Not back home just yet. I feel the OBX will be just fine after I put the new washers/bolts in it and go through to make sure it will work alright. Biggest deal right now is the fact that I have no money. I could have the car done, or at least drivable where I could have it down on a day or 2 basis to do things to it. Daily Driving a project is a PITA. I already learned that. I took pictures just haven't posted them up because I haven't been home to do so. I went by a guys shop to ask about a fuel safe cell, he is a dealer, said they would cost me 1200-1400 so it looks like its gonna be the summit cell. Still gonna be looking for a used one. Craigs list hasn't got me anything good yet. Just have to be patient.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally some progress. Not many pictures. L28 is out of the 280z. Last things to get off are the rear stub axles and mustache bar out, a few other things then the old 280z is going to scrap. Oh, I forgot to add I got a 10 gallon plastic Harwood fuel cell for 50 bucks. Need to figure out mounting and get some foam. I am going to be drilling the spot welds out on the 280z trans mount and the old 240z stuff and gonna try to plug weld them back on. Need to get those Cellows or whatever they are called. Yea, call me stupid fine. HEHE. It should work from what I measured. You just need the 280z trans x member instead of the 240z. Which I have, I don't have a 240z one. But the 240z trans ears are gone.

A couple pictures

enginebayo.jpg

engineonground.jpg

Edited by ModernS30

• 1 month later...

Well. Now that I never update. Been working, not on the car but my job, lots. Don't make enough money to get to many treats but My OBX should be here Monday. The washer set around the same time. I started putting the wheel bearings back together. I bought a shaved manifold and 60mm TB from FlatBlack. I got the transmission mount out of the black 280z. The car is now gone. After I get the mount welded in I am going to be dropping the engine back in. Then get the OBX and differential put together and it should be getting to the time to go. I welded up the fuel cell cage, just need to weld it into the car. Likes will be super simple. Pictures to come but it will probably be a bit because I know I will get lazy.

why did you weld up the engine mounts?

If you look at the pictures, the holes had been cut out. So I had to weld them up and re drill the holes for the stock mounts. The stock mount holes have been re drilled and the mounts are on. Transmission mount is proving to be interesting.