HybridZ

Car related stuff that bugs you...

PanzerAce

This idea came to me when replacing my battery today. I figure we all need a place to tell the stories about stuff that doesn't so much make us mad, just annoys/bugs us about cars.

Right now I'm bugged that various battery makers not only make their batteries slightly different in size, but they also swap around the terminal locations. I just spent 30 minutes installing my battery, which should have taken 5 minutes tops because Duralast and Interstate changed just enough....

Rusty/stuck bolts that won't budge and then break, Previous owners who hacked/slashed/or jerry rigged something. Bad wiring that is near impossible to figure out. Rust in general and hard to find parts are also something that bug me and happen often with a 2+2. <_<

Bloody french spark plugs on the '71 Peugeot 504 motor, they use springs from the plug to the top of a tube where the wire from the dist joins... I can't work out how to get the bloody spring off without stretching and wrecking them!

cars with such brilliant design flaws such as the one the requires you to remove the intake manifold......

......to change your spark plugs.

who ever thinks that kinda stuff is a great idea on the drawing board, should be kicked in the balls <_<

Edited by skib

^^^

Hmmm, but mitsubishi's V6 motor was awesome.

So awesome they supplied it with 3 platinum plugs and 3 copper cores, to reduce labour times during servicing.

Would have made more sence to use 6 platinums and do them all once at 100,000kms :rolleyes:

my biggest pet peeve of all?

Oil filters in close proximity to hot exhaust manifolds.

In some cases, the bloody manifold wraps halfway around the damn filter!

NOBODY ever changes the filter on a cold vehicle in a workshop enviroment. its not like the customer (or mechanic) is happy to leave the car on a hoist for a couple of hours to cool off.

that and new cars being soo damn cramped to work on.

Previous owner hack job wiring, majority of stereo installs, bondo, flat heads, 50 thousand different sized bolts when you can use almost 2 or 3 sizes in different grade to put the entire car together. Axle coupler bolts where a wrench can only be turned a quarter at a time. Fart Cannons, Honda in general, lack of room to do certain tasks. Emissions bs in the way.

People who do not know what they have and try to make a quick buck off of things. I talked to a guy who swears that the 240z first came out in 1972, and thinks his rusted out z which has been siting for 15 years is worth ATLEAST $6,000..... :angry:

Edited by 280zjoel

Oh boy... 6g72 comes to mind. Water pump driven off T-Belt. Cooling cross over from drivers to passenger side thats buried under the intake that has leaky o-rings. Must remove upper intake to change rear bank plugs. Oil pickup that is 3/16ths from the bottom of the pan so if you even look at the pan wrong it will crush pickup and spin a bearing. Oil galleys in the block coupled with oil squirters that are grossly undersized. This list goes on and on with the 6g72. Lets not forget a 11 hour all data book time to change the T-belt. (takes me 7)

Knock sensor buried in the same valley in the block under the cross over pipe.

Dont even get me started on manual trans cars that use atf!!!!!

Anything on a RX-7 FD. Not only is it cramped, even the simplest parts are stupidly overpriced. Doing a motor swap on a RX-8; it's bolted to the subframe. But don't worry! Mazda sells a tool that can take the whole front subframe with motor and trans all at once. The price? A cool $3k. ....for what's essentially a stand.

Changing the oil filter on a Chevy Cavalier... They decide to put it RIGHT NEXT to the exhaust manifold on the BACK of the engine. Can't get it from the bottom cause of a rail/engine mount, and if you try from the top, you're getting burned.

I'm glad I don't work at a quick oil change shop every day.

Oh, and customers with cars.

Water pump on a Subaru GL. You have to take the whole front of the engine apart to change it! And my latest task...SPINDLE PINS!

Water pump on an EA82 is a breeze.. you just can't leave the timing belt covers on that motor or it becomes a 6 hour hassle dealing with the captured nuts spinning in the plastic of the back side of the covers.

My T-belt covers are actually sitting on top of the garbage can right now even though the car was gone two years ago.. they sat in a box in my storage unit and I just recently came across them and finally pitched em.