HybridZ

Worst Day Ever

jakeoster

Today started out like any other day. I got new tires the other day and needed an alignment. So I went to my local tire shop and they did not have their computer set up to align cars older than 1980. So I was referred to an area of san diego that I never really go to. I get very near the shop on a two lane road and brake for a rental moving truck in front of me while he makes a left turn. I am stopped for about 5-10 seconds and the next thing I know my neck snaps foward and I hear the sickening sound of a unibody being crunched and I slam into the truck in front of me. I go to open the door but the frame was tweaked so I couldnt get it open and was forced to climb through the window. Really down about the whole thing, shes my baby and was really enjoying the RB swap. Going to meet the guys insurance agency tomorrow and see whats what. Photobucket is being werid so Ill toss a few more pictures up later.

IMG_0341.jpg

Dont let the insurance company low ball you like 1,500 bucks for that chassis. If they do tell them to produce a shell in the same condition for that price.

Hindsight is 20/20 but its reason's like this i have classic car insurance with a fix payout no question's asked other than was i driving it for reasons other than pleasure.

Suggest you look into this. Mine is 105.00 A YEAR threw hagerty. I can put 10,000 miles on a year and its insured for 10,000 bucks no insurance adjuster needed policy. I send them annual odo pics and document any and all changes to the car. Hell i have insurance on spare parts. Please dont let them low ball yah.

Personally i would not settle for any less than 5 grand. figure 1,000-1,500 for a shell and the rest paint or rust repair. Pending on how nice your car was. Kinda hard to tell once its been hit. Thats with you getting this car back. If they wanna take the whole thing i would want close to 10. But they always sell it back.

Edited by yetterben
  • Like 1

The guy that hit me is doing everything through his Allied insurance. We'll see how it unfolds tommarrow, but seeing how tweaked the frame is I am probaly going to have to find another shell and redo the swap. I'm collecting all my reciepts at the moment.

That had to hurt? Are you sore? If my z ever gets crashed, I will probably break down into tears. All of your hard work man, sorry to hear and see that. I really hope it all works out. If nothing else maybe you can find a decent shell to swap it into. Maybe even a 240z?

Have to wait until Monday to talk to the adjuster...figures since I happen to work that day and have had time off for the past week. I will be in the market for a 1975 280z if I had to make a prediction. I will not be giving up on the swapping the RB again no matter what happens. Once you drive an RBz, there's no going back :D

Dang, just hung a 71 up in the rafters last week that was painted the same color!post-380-12764054814015_thumb.jpg

post-380-12764055197615_thumb.jpg

post-380-12764055662031_thumb.jpg

post-380-12764056173865_thumb.jpg

post-380-12764056638694_thumb.jpg

post-380-12764057443097_thumb.jpg

I got to agree with Yetterben on this one, I would not sell the above chassis for $1500, as I know I can broker it in Europe for 2X that EASILY. If you need some sort of statement, like from 'A local Sports Car Club Officer or Director' PM me, part of the oldest Z-Car Club in the world just a wee bit north of you and can send something on club letterhead if need be in regards to what a NON-RUNNING stripped chassis sells for on the export market (giving shipping dates and destination!)

As for the one above....

I don't think I will be moving it anywhere for a while, would have to move three cars to get to it now!

post-380-1276406045156_thumb.jpg

Well, I received a check today for thirty two hundred dollars and am keeping the wrecked Z, its at my home now. I have a little something that I have had my eye on since my Z was wrecked. Im going to call the guy today and see if I can get it on a trailer and bring it over to my house. Stay tuned...

Well, I received a check today for thirty two hundred dollars and am keeping the wrecked Z, its at my home now. I have a little something that I have had my eye on since my Z was wrecked. Im going to call the guy today and see if I can get it on a trailer and bring it over to my house. Stay tuned...

Not bad, I would be pretty happy getting paid out that much and getting to keep everything still.

Story told here before:

Bought car for $3500, salvage title one year old at the time (theft chop shop recovery).

Drove for 150K miles, hit on 60 FWY and drove it home.

Totaled by Insurance, got paid $3700, minus $500 scrap value on the car and retained it.

Sold car for $600 and a baby goat.

Bought male goat for $175 to hook up with the baby when mature and start making free lawn and weed abatement for my yard.

Pair mated and had triplets on first mating.

Sold each of the goat offspring for $150 at easter (reaped $450!)

Sold the proven mating pair with propensity toward multiple births for $450.

I think we made out on our car as well!

My suggestion: Buy a goat with the money, just keep them away from the Z's! They like to climb... :angry: