HybridZ

SR20 vs RB26

Papaboy

A little off topic, but I was reading on some other forum, and the people who used the RB26 and the 2jz said that your better off using the 2jz for many reasons from availability of parts to power and performance. They said they have used both and in the end the 2jz was better overall except in that the Rb26 had forged pistons stock. They said that is the only big thing it really had on the 2jz.

The RB does not come with forged pistons stock. I personally think the 2jz is a more refined/stronger motor. The SR is a sweet little swap too...

I feel like this thread is giving the rb a hard time.

Thats only so in countries like the US where the RBs weren't used much. Here in NZ every other car you see at a drift track seems to be an RB powered Laurel, Cefiro or Skyline and there are LOTS of aftermarket producers of parts. I think there are more RBs than RWD SRs around here.

You mean weren't used at all? Either way he lives in Sacramento...

A little off topic, but I was reading on some other forum, and the people who used the RB26 and the 2jz said that your better off using the 2jz for many reasons from availability of parts to power and performance. They said they have used both and in the end the 2jz was better overall except in that the Rb26 had forged pistons stock. They said that is the only big thing it really had on the 2jz.

I'd say 90% availability, but, it's a toyota...

sr weighs 200# less and most parts can be found off a nissan sentra ser or 240sx. but overall if crazy hp is what you want get a 2jz

I'm not so sure about the crazy hp part, but also don't forget the sr's cg advantage.

202 HP SR, 250HP RB, 276HP 2JZ-GTE

I wouldn't say the numbers mean "nothing" but I agree that they aren't accurate. Besides, 250hp? They're also rated at 276 I believe, although bone stock skylines have been dynoed at around 310. All three are going to have the same advantages when you talk about swapping them and cutting the fat. I don't know anybody that gets one of these and puts in a 2" catback, a 1" aftercooler, and the belt driven fan, all while adding 800lbs to the chassis. Basically disregard those numbers when you talk about a hybridz

On a second note as well... factory RB26's (R32's and R33's) if I'm not mistaken their wastegates were set for 10 psi, and the GT-R's had boost restrictors of 1 bar from the factory as well.

I thought the restrictor actually brought it down to like 8psi, removing it goes to 15 right? Either way, the upgrade is free giving the rb an even earlier lead.

OP asked about SR20 versus RB26. SR20 is cheaper to modify, lighter, easier to find a tuner, cheaper to buy, cheap parts in abundance in USA, etc. RB has better potential, cool factor, and that's about it.

Some of it depends, of course, how far you might take the powertrain from stock and what you intend to do with the car.

True, potential doesn't mean anything if you just want a quick 350--do whatever gets you to your goal quicker. Not all of us are going for a 1500hp daily. Still, it's a lot sexier and unique imo. When I run into a guy with an sr, he's the one that's impressed... I think that might be an exaggeration on the availability of the sr parts though.

But what about when you look to beef it up? You've got to pony up for 2 more pistons, 2 more rods, 2 more holes bored/honed, 2 more injectors, if you get the cams reground or you buy new cams it will reflect that you're paying for 24 lobes of aftermarket as opposed to 8 lobes. I did a bunch of searching on this end and it's why I've got an odd-ball I6 instead of an odd-ball V8... Those costs add up quick.

Sure on Vs you have to by double the parts and intake/exhaust ducting etc. gets more complicated, but I'm not so sure that when you buy cams you pay by the lobe... Everything in the prices are relative. More expensive probably, but it's not all gonna be 3/2 the price of the sr equivalent. Besides the sr is going to have to be taken further than the rb just to catch up, so you have to factor that price in as well.

The RB does not come with forged pistons stock.

Yeah where did that idea come from? Would be nice...

Cool, I guess I need to really take a step back and make some hard decisions about where I want this car to be at before I continue, as apposed to buying and engine first then trying to figure out what to do with it. (nub mistake)

Let's face it, the hard decision for everybody is the same. Do I get the rb or do I settle? :P Actually that's not true, I'd probably get the sr if I was getting the car for autocross. If this were an sr20 v. rb25 though I would say no-brainer.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I know that for my situation, weight is an area of huge concern. So, the SR is what's lookin good to me right now, but I know that when you get up in the 400bhp range (where I wanna be) when the boost comes on, its pretty harsh. And because I need to daily drive it, I dont know if thats what I want....

course, I could just get one of those 2-stage boost controllers...

Anyway, from what I know from racing, low weight (even at the cost of peak HP) is much more beneficial to actually "going fast". Turns are quicker, there's less weight to throw around and upset the suspension, and if you dont lose speed easily, you dont have to get it back with 800hp.... 3-400hp is plenty for moving a light car. IMO the smaller, lighter engines are more effective for low track times.

But if drag racing is your thing, then i'd just go balls-to-the-wall and cram a 2JZ in there.

Edited by XTCoX

• 3 months later...

The initial cost of an RB26 is more expensive at the beginning (not by much in my opinion)

That is if your looking to swap a stock motor in and leave it stock.

As soon as you start buying quality parts such as an intake manifold, cams, exhaust manifold if you plan on running a top mount single setup. Those parts are usually twice if not three times more expensive than an SR. Clutches and flywheels are not cheap for the RB either.

• 5 months later...

nice thread, I am in the same boat just a bought a 240Z wihtout engine/gearbox and drivetrain. My other car is 370Z which I dont want to boost so SR will fit the bill. As the car is lighter so I think it will be faster then my modified 310whp 370Z :unsure:

If cost isn't a big factor and your number 1 priority is power and awesomeness, then go with the rb26. If you want good power for a decent price, great aftermarket support and want to eliminate some weight, go with the sr20det. If you want the same benefits of the sr20det, want to spend even less money, and have more torque then go with a ka24de-t. For a lower price than either the sr or the rb, you can buy a running ka, a holset turbo with t3 manifold, walbro fuel pump, larger injectors, wideband o2, megasquirt or the new nismotronic that is about to come out any day now, and the few other supporting mods needed. If you are looking for under 450hp then you dont even need to worry about the internals as the stock ka internals can handle over 400hp with a good tune. So it all comes down to your preference and how much DIY you are planning on doing. The LS1 is another option you should look into. This v8 pulls like crazy, basically sits completely behind the front crossmember, and isn't even expensive anymore. It's all about personal preference...which engine do you like the sound of best?

• 7 years later...

hey guys,

Im not a complete idiot when it comes to cars, but there is this guy who seems to think i am.

His trying to tell me his skyline is fitted with an rb26 6 cyl but his picture shows he has an sr20 4 cyl.

When i pointed this out to him, the knob still stuck to his bullshit story that it was an rb26 ACCEPT he had a bullshit universal rocker cover of an sr20 on his rb26 due to the laws not allowing anytrhing to stick out of bonnet.

His a cockhead because it wouuldnt stick out the bonnet no skylines engines stiuck out of the bonnet.

he even made up his own turbo apparenbtly he has a 7878 garret pffffffft big extreme and again bullshit.

anyways his fabricated bullshit car apparently has a 1000hp lol hilarious shit talk.

anyways just wanted to confirm if there is such thing as a universal sr20det rocker cover that goes over the top of a rb26det.

i firmly believe theres no such thing, but just need verification this knob jockey is an absolute bullshit artist.

thank you

That to me ISNT a RB26, but instead an SR20. 

Pathetic trying to bullshit it’s a universal rocker cover for a RB26.

wheres the crank cam angle sensor on front of motor?

the cam shaft timing gear has a removable cover at front of motor, SR20 don’t.