HybridZ

From The Ashes

The car is looking good. How much longer do you think that lovefab is going to take. Like ztr said it would be a good idea to mount it with rubber. A hard mount on a ecu can break electrical components very quickly. Did you end up keeping the stock fuel tank? A cool mod that i saw to the fuel tank was they cut out the old pickup/return and then welded on a -10 for the pick up, and a -8 for return. They took the old pick up and then had a -10 bent to fit in the stock tank. I'll try to find the link. Your going to run a MAF, why not a MAP? Especially if your bov is vented to atmosphere.

Edit: here's the link Tank Mod

Edited by motoman

The car is looking good. How much longer do you think that lovefab is going to take. Like ztr said it would be a good idea to mount it with rubber. A hard mount on a ecu can break electrical components very quickly. Did you end up keeping the stock fuel tank? A cool mod that i saw to the fuel tank was they cut out the old pickup/return and then welded on a -10 for the pick up, and a -8 for return. They took the old pick up and then had a -10 bent to fit in the stock tank. I'll try to find the link. Your going to run a MAF, why not a MAP? Especially if your bov is vented to atmosphere.

Edit: here's the link Tank Mod

1. I have rolls of this foam with sticky on the back that I'm going to line the inside of a bracket with in addition to velco I'm putting on the bottom to keep it secure. Not done with it yet...

2. I'm using the stock tank for now to get it running for the time being, not gonna be doing any hard driving for now and am gonna keep the tank topped off with fuel.

3. I have a power fc ecu which is maf based. Not to mention that a map setup is expensive to do on the rb25. The hks bov seals itself under throttle and I didn't have an issue while running it on my previous build.

4. As for the Love Fab, I'm gonna shoot Cody an email today and see what's up with it. He's a good guy, just been having a lot coming up.

Got a couple things done after work today.

1. Foot long silicone coupler I got to fix my intercooler charge pipe because it was just a little short. Cut it in half for a six inch long one.

4f23dd61.jpg

2. Intercooler piping clamped in.

9a55a520.jpg

3. Mounted the ecu. It's padded and Velcro'ed for a nice snug, secure fit.

b4021d87.jpg

Edited by jakeoster

Nah, haven't started it yet :( hoping to real soon though. What I have left to do is finish my fuse block and wire that, make brackets for my intercooler, wire my gauges, fill my fluids, and finish my fuel return line and it's time for first start. Getting there...

Well, that didn't take too long. I got her to start today. She's not road worthy yet, but she made a little noise for the first time in a year. What's left:

1. Clean up wiring

2. Mount fuse block

3. Fill transmission with oil

4. Weld on muffler

5. Get the gauges working

6. Make intercooler brackets

7. What ever little hurddy gurdy mish mash crap that comes up

I'll get a video up when I can :)

Edited by jakeoster
  • Like 1

Quick and dirty first (actually second) start with the open down pipe. I wanted to film the official first start but while testing to see if I had the starter and stuff hooked up correctly it caught me by surprise and started up as if I had just taken her around the block. It was cool, but I didnt get a chance to film it :(

Still got some things to do until shes road worthy, haven't been out for a drive yet, but shes running :D

Edited by jakeoster

Sorry to hear about the ecu not working out, can you use the old one for now?

I sent apexi an email, I heard Rayyap got his fixed by him. I have a stock ecu that I've been using so I can still run the engine.

The LoveFab is for LHD cars so we are gonna give it a shot and see how it goes.

Today I wanted to get the exhaust done as the two 90* bends I ordered arrived. I started to fit everything up and realized I needed the two 90* to be expanded so I could fit them together. There's a guy in town that does exhausts so I decided to go over and check him and he expanded them for me for 10 bucks. He was a real cool guy to talk to. So I get home and start to work and I realize I didn't have the skills to make it work as it was a little damaged from the accident. So I decided to pull it off the jacks and drive it over to have him check it out. This was my first drive in the Z! She ran pretty good over there but was extremely loud as I had it running off the downpipe. So I got there and he checks it out, and for $200 he did the whole exhaust and added a muffler. Came out great, nice and under the radar :D

At the shop on four wheels for the first time in months.

5feed4c3.jpg

Muffler, it's a flowmaster.

0618a8e4.jpg

The Magnaflow resonator I had bought.

e16b362f.jpg

Muffler

b860d183.jpg

97dcf7df.jpg

It sounds pretty good, it's a lot more civilized now and still has that RB grunt and scream. The engine pulls wayyyy better then the 280z did on boost and runs a whole lot smoother. I got some things to finish up but I'll get a nice crusin' video up as soon as I can. Great day today :D

Trust me on this. With just that flow through magnaflow muffler/resonator. Rb's sound absolutely amazing. So if you ever get bored with the under the radar exhaust. Pop off that flowmaster and I promise you will love it. When can I come over and get a ride? B)

Trust me on this. With just that flow through magnaflow muffler/resonator. Rb's sound absolutely amazing. So if you ever get bored with the under the radar exhaust. Pop off that flowmaster and I promise you will love it. When can I come over and get a ride? B)

I used to run straight 3" with a 4" hks muffler. It sounds good but you couldn't even have a conversation in the car without raising your voice. It would also set off peoples car alarms who were parked on the street when I passed. The deep sound would resonate off all the surrounding buildings and what not making it quite loud. Basically I just came to the realization that this is a street car first and a race car second, it's a far better streetable setup. Still sounds great though!

did you have to notch your trans cross member mounting tab for the speed sensor? do you have any driveline vibes?

On my 280z I had to cut off the stock trans mounting ears and the bracket bolted to the frame rail. Now on the 240z I assumed (btw never ever assume) that I had to cut off the trans mounts and didn't really think about it. So I did, and needless to say it didn't take long for me to figure out I messed up. So one side I welded the ear back on and the speedo sensor side I made a bracket and it clears the speed sensor. I don't think I have any vibrations, I would imagine they would be very noticeable if I did and I haven't noticed anything thus far.

What I do have a problem with is I have to figure out what's wrong with my alt. wiring as it doesn't charge the battery and the Z died on me on the freeway and I ended up having it towed home. For some reason my turn signals quit working on me, and I'm not sure how to get my tach to work or if I have fried the tach signal inside the ecu. I have to come up with some kind of surge tank setup for the fuel system and finish everything up. Runs good, still needs some work though.

Edited by jakeoster