HybridZ

Driveshaft quote seem a little high?

ukcats07

Just came back from the only local driveshaft shop here (at least that I've found) with a quote for a new driveshaft for my 302 swap.

$340 for a <300whp driveshaft. T5 slip yoke, 1310 u-joints and NEAPCO flange adapter. 22.75" overall length (flange to flange).

Does this seem high? I like the idea of buying local, but everything I've seen online leads me to believe I should paying somewhere in the neighborhood of $200.

Any thoughts? Any good online dealers? Found a whole slew of them from google, just don't know which one to go with for my swap.

Thanks

might wanna try to find your own slip yoke from a junkyard or something...that could bring the price down about 60-80 bucks im guessing

I'm just planning on taking all my parts to my driveshaft guy and telling him i need this yoke to fit this shaft with this adapter plate at this length.

Damn, thought I had this topic watched. Sorry for the no response. I definitely walked away as I thought it was too high myself. I also heard some not so great things about the place in question from a speed shop here in town. They did not recommend using this place due to quality issues, not necessarily price. Yeah, they wanted $70 or $80 (if I can remember correctly) for the slip yoke and like $50 for the NEAPCO adapter, about $120 in labor and some more for the weld yokes and u-joints. I'm probably just going to give Denny's or Precision Shaft Technologies a call on Monday and see what they look like price-wise.

tq breaks shAt not HP, get away from the ricer shop and find a good reputable one, only costs about $20 to ship a driveshaft so $40 total added to 100-200 still cheaper than those yahoos

Yeah, sorry about that. They didn't say anything about it standing up to 300whp etc. I just threw that out there when I was talking to them to give them an idea of the power-level of my motor. I was basically stressing to them that this driveshaft does not need to be anything crazy.

Edited by ukcats07

My driveshaft came from Wenco. Don't remember exactly what I paid, $250? But it came with the 1310 chevy joint and Neapco adapter on the back and the NISSAN T5 yoke on the front. But the first one was wrong, and they acknowledged they screwed up and had a UPS call tag out to me and a replacement on the way ASAP. I will do business with them again as price is one thing, but how they respond when a mistake is made is something else.

Just got off the phone with Performance Shafts. $250 shipped to my door. The guy I spoke with was super nice and said I should have the drive shaft by Friday. Radiator, carb and a few other small things left and I might be able to start this car soon!

One important question is to ask how fast they spin the driveshaft to balance it. That adds to the cost. You do this because the driveshaft rpm varies based on u-joint angle. So, the transmisison output may be spinning at 3,000 rpm but the actual driveshaft speed varies from 2995.9 to 3004.1 if the shaft is at a 3 degree angle. Getting that balanced right is really important.

For anyone else who's doing a Ford swap---talked with JCI conversions and they will make a driveshaft to fit the ford trans for the same price as their GM version. $235 shipped is a pretty good deal IMO. Especially coming from a company that knows Datsun V8 swaps. I most likely would have bought from them had they sent me a response email yesterday morning instead of this morning. I guess I'm impatient and PST had a good price and a good day for delivering the Drivehaft.

One important question is to ask how fast they spin the driveshaft to balance it. That adds to the cost. You do this because the driveshaft rpm varies based on u-joint angle. So, the transmisison output may be spinning at 3,000 rpm but the actual driveshaft speed varies from 2995.9 to 3004.1 if the shaft is at a 3 degree angle. Getting that balanced right is really important.

At the first shop they laughed when Andy and I walked in and told them we wanted our 2+2 driveshaft balanced to 10,000rpms. We walked out and went to IEDLS (Inland Empire Driveline as Hoov mentions) they had no qualms about our balancing request at all, and the aluminium shaft was done for less than the quotation in the O.P.

And yes, it has gone that fast, plus some... It DOES make a difference!