HybridZ

700r4 cooling?

Guest HALLOWEEN Z

Guest HALLOWEEN Z

I was using one of those tranny coolers from oreillys but have now gotten a stock replacement 3 core datsun radiator instead of the gm radiator I had. Now I have a tranny cooler in the radiator. Will I be fine running the cooler in the radiator? It doesn't get driven hard except very occasionally. It's a 700r4 transmission

Guest HALLOWEEN Z

forgot to add that external cooler is in bad shape and needs replaced. Not a problem replacing it just didn't want the extra part if it wasn't necessary. From what I understand cooler isn't always better for transmission oil they have an operating temperature. Ofcourse without a temperature gauge I don't know what its running anyways.

Don't run the stock internal heat exchanger, it will do nothing but reheat the ATF you are trying to cool down and will cause your coolant temps to rise.

Thats why you run it into the radiator first and the external cooler second. BTW your logic in the bold is flawed.

Thats why you run it into the radiator first and the external cooler second. BTW your logic in the bold is flawed.

Yeah, I just realized that. But my point is still that running ATF through a factory heat exchanger and then through a external cooler is useless, as you aren't really cooling the ATF when it goes through the heat exchanger you are merely getting the ATF closer to the water temp (usually heating up the coolant) and it alone has more con's then pro's, especially when mated with an external cooler.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The purpose of running the cooler AHEAD of the radiator exchanger is to lower the temp of the fluid BEFORE hitting the exchanger.

Transmissions do not like cold fluid either - they like it heated, so having the cooler ahead of the exchanger allows the exchanger to help heat the fluid to operating temperature.

The cooled tranny fluid will not put as much load on the cooling system, thereby increasing IT'S efficiency.