HybridZ

Are you guys keeping your heaters?

xonix_digital

Hey wrenchers.

I just pulled my dash and found a lovely mouse house in my heater.

IMG_5520.JPG

Gross.

So I yanked the whole thing out.

IMG_5528.JPG

Are you guys keeping these monstrosities?

I plan to only drive it in the summer months, and track it once or twice a month.

Should I keep it or sell it? Is it worth anything?

thanks.

My PO took mine out. I thought I'd only drive mine in the warm months, but sometimes you get that "Z itch" to drive.

I'd put it back in. It's not going to really make your car faster to leave it out, and having it when you need it is way better than regretting you took it out.

My $0.02

I ripped mine out. Such a waste of weight and space imo.

Then again I live in a place where when it gets bellow 40 degrees at night people are complaining.

I gutted my heater core and I'm going to reinstall it and use my own custom fan setup. That way I have a manual valve control so it doesn't radiate heat when not in use, and I don't have a bulky control console that's useless. I just need one setting - ON.

I ripped mine out. Such a waste of weight and space imo.

Then again I live in a place where when it gets bellow 40 degrees at night people are complaining.

I gutted my heater core and I'm going to reinstall it and use my own custom fan setup. That way I have a manual valve control so it doesn't radiate heat when not in use, and I don't have a bulky control console that's useless. I just need one setting - ON.

I agree. I would only really need it if i were up way early in the morning and my W/S got fogged up.

I could fab up some sort of custom solution for that.

Let me know if you have any insight as to how you plan on pulling that off. Im interested in what you guys have come up with.

My PO took mine out. I thought I'd only drive mine in the warm months, but sometimes you get that "Z itch" to drive.

I'd put it back in. It's not going to really make your car faster to leave it out, and having it when you need it is way better than regretting you took it out.

My $0.02

I agree. The heater really isn't enough weight, if you aren't full out race car, then you may as well keep it. A/C you can do without by rolling windows down. Heat is something nice to have.

If my Unit had been working and the heater control valve wasn't bad I would of left mine. I was thinking about buying a 80mm or 120mm core that I could fit a 12v PC fan to and routing it to the defroster vents, then just using a simple toggle switch or you could go with a variable controller. Would take up far less room and still do the job.

Just check out a few watercooled PC's and you'll know exactly what I'm talking about.

Edited by goodoldjam

^I like that idea, I'm not sure if mine works, well, it feels like it doesn't at least, it just started getting cold up here and I'm more interested in the defrost feature vs heat. Which BTW is a good way to keep the gf out of the car :rolleyes: in any case, I want something more efficient and possibly electronically controlled.

Edited by Daphur280

Here we go a 86 Chevette uses a core that is perfect for 120mm. Napa has the core for $27, buy a $5-$10 fan maybe with a built in speed controller. Rig it to the vents and you have a mini heater system.

heatercore.jpg

fanonheatercore.jpg

And here's a fan to go with it:

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835220014

Even comes with a good speed control.

Case fans might get a little melty with that kind of heat though. Might be wise to mount them with an aluminum washer on the core side, and a hard plastic washer on the fan side, to keep the heat from transferring to the fan. Then you'll need some sticky foam tape to seal the edges of the fan so the air goes THROUGH the core.

Another reason I didn't want to keep the stock S30 heater is that I hate the line placement. It's terribly in the way for most engine swaps.

Oh, and despite my 280ZX having a working heater, I still have to drive with the windows cracked in the rain. Now, I know that modern cars use the A/C to pump cold air at the windshield to defog the windshield, but many older cars did just fine with a good heater. Point being, even a functioning heater in a ZX (which I consider better engineered than the S30 unit) doesn't really do a good job.

So that being said, it wasn't hard for me in my climate (totally a different story if I lived elsewhere) to decide that I could do better by simplifying the system and making it do JUST what I want it to do. Give me basic heat, and allow me to defog at least part of my window. I'm actually considering an electric element heater for the windshield if I can find a suitable product. Still working on that though.

Edited by Gollum