HybridZ
240zip

Maserati 4.2L

I saw this transplanted into a rat rod. It has four cams, four dual down draft webers. Mates to ZF 5 speed. I'm going to guess it would be a nearly impossible swap even if the engine were nearly free. About 260 HP stock, likely 280 with a free flowing exhaust. Sometimes these cars come into the wrecking yard for almost nothing.

The 4.2L 4 cam engine was from a 1984. $999 for the whole car, but it came with an automatic. I also found another interesting engine - a Porsche 928 2 cam v8 with a five speed. In both cases you're talking an insane amount to do the swap and then expense it maintaining it. I think the Maserati engine would be great for someone doing a Ferrari GTO / 250 replica conversion. With the ZF 5 speed (which mates to the engine with no problem) and the 4 double down draft webers, you'd have an incredible car. The Maserati engine came in the Indy and a few other cars of that era. I was tempted to take the engine and clean it up and have it on display in my shop just because I love the look of it.

The 4.2L 4 cam engine was from a 1984. $999 for the whole car, but it came with an automatic. I also found another interesting engine - a Porsche 928 2 cam v8 with a five speed. In both cases you're talking an insane amount to do the swap and then expense it maintaining it. I think the Maserati engine would be great for someone doing a Ferrari GTO / 250 replica conversion. With the ZF 5 speed (which mates to the engine with no problem) and the 4 double down draft webers, you'd have an incredible car. The Maserati engine came in the Indy and a few other cars of that era. I was tempted to take the engine and clean it up and have it on display in my shop just because I love the look of it.

do not buy the 928 engine they always overheat i had a 928 and the block cracked those engines are terrible there fast but they will overheat my friends dad made it through college replace heads on 928s do not buy it!

Lol! I started this project back in Nov 1999. I put up a thread here in '03 with an S15 SR20DET & 6 speed conversion but things have changed slightly over the years.

Here's the original topic below, however I will be posting a new topic with this conversion soon.