HybridZ

How much is my Z worth

jhill

Its so tough to tell how much my car is actually worth. On ebay the prices seem much too bloated. Craigslist is terrible, sometimes you can find a decent 280z for 1500, other times all you have is a non turbo 2+2 brown 280zx for 15,000. Who is going to buy that? :huh: . Then it seems on here, hybridz, the classifides are almost too low, maybe because this group of people are so knowledgable, they can be pretty picky. So, how much do you think I could get for my Z. Or how much should it be worth.

1978 Datsun 280z

Engine: 1982 L28et

Rebuilt t3/t4 clipped

Knockoff hks ssqv bov

24x12x3 intercooler

N42 non egr intake

60mm TB

440cc supra injectors

walbro 255

'78 n/a transmission

Tokico lowering springs/struts

Sportmax002 16x8's

BEGI rising rate fpr

Champion Ebay radiator

Msd blaster coil

Ebay rev limiter B)

post-4865-037014000 1289266623_thumb.jpg

post-4865-034904700 1289266638_thumb.jpg

How is the rust? Does the sunroof leak? How many miles on the motor? rebuilt? got receipts? what kind and size of exhaust and downpipe? tire condition/size and brand of tires? Based on what I see here, I'd guess 4000-4500 or so...primarily because of cheapie ebay parts. more info can yield more money

Ahh ok. Thanks for the response. Rust is pretty much not an issue, ive replaced the few rust holes the car came with, with new metal, although there is some bondo work from the past, nothing crazy though. Sunroof is non-functional but does not leak. The motor has got about 100k on it, no reciets there you'd just have to trust me on that. Tires are great, less than an oil change on them. I cant remember the sizes off the top of my head and its too cold outside to check. Also stock downpipe (I know), 2.5in exhaust from there back with a resonator. I got talked into the 2.5 instead of the 3in by the guy at the exhuast shop, it sounds good but does drone at times.

I feel that not having a real engine management system like megasquirt is also hurting the value. The rrfpr works pretty well but I think it gives the band-aid fix feel to the car.

Oh and it also has a welded R200 B)

But seriously, when you do ebay, you have to check completed listings only, and even then auctions that didn't hit the reserve are erroneous. Compare to what people are asking for on CL, it might not be what they're actually willing to sell for but it could give you an idea what to ask for to be competitive.

You also have to think about the market for cars in your area, Do most people in your area like to buy classic cars that have been modified? I know I can tell what most people like to drive in the area I live in. You can also tell by how much they are selling for, If you try to sell it in your area what will people be willing to pay? If your planning on shipping if you have to then its not too much of a concern, but I know I live in an area with a lot of people that like nice cars or classic cars and I wouldn't have too much trouble selling my Z if I had too. Just some things to think about, Also how much money do you have into the car and how much of that do you want to see back? You may not be able to get all you put into it back but you may get part of it.

Think about putting it up on Ebay. From those two pictures it looks like it might attract a decent amount of attention, but it's hard to tell without more, and without more detail. If you are serious about selling it, that is. If you wait long enough, someone, somewhere, will probably buy it for what you want, within reason.

When I was shopping two words that made me move on were "sunroof" and "bondo". Also rust being "pretty much" not an issue is scary for someone who would have to have the car shipped.

They would want you to be 100% sure of what kind of situation it is or else how could they trust it.

Just some thoughts after buying in a very rust prone part of the country.

The sunroof is a huge negative for some. Also, it's impossible to set a price without dozens of detailed pictures. A welded R200 makes the car a poor daily drive and mostly suitable for the track, but R200s are easy to source. I'd say between $3,750 and $5,000 depending on your local market. If the car had an EMS like MS or SDS, then towards the higher end, but yours doesn't. Seems to be missing the rear bumper. I've seen similar cars go for $3,500. You can ask anything you want on Craigslist or use eBay with a reserve so there's no risk involved.

The sunroof is a huge negative for some.  Also, it's impossible to set a price without dozens of detailed pictures.  A welded R200 makes the car a poor daily drive and mostly suitable for the track, but R200s are easy to source.  I'd say between $3,750 and $5,000 depending on your local market.  If the car had an EMS like MS or SDS, then towards the higher end, but yours doesn't.  Seems to be missing the rear bumper.  I've seen similar cars go for $3,500.  You can ask anything you want on Craigslist or use eBay with a reserve so there's no risk involved.

I have often thought about putting a car on ebay with a ridiculous reserve, only to test the market, with no intentions of selling.  For some reason it feels unethical to me.  Is it acceptable to do this?  Can it be done? Maybe it's just me.  I would love to try it.

Edited by cygnusx1

People do all sorts of things on eBay. For example, they sell little items, but then they use it as a platform to market their company website or other services. I've seen car dealers simply have the same car on eBay and for sale in the local classifieds and simply withdraw the ad if it sells locally. I've seen people put high reserves on items just to test the market, but you need to be prepared to sell if someone does meet your offer. Same thing is done on Craigslist where people just continue to list the same stuff at inflated prices. But if you're not interested in selling, why be concerned with the cars worth. I've always said your car is worth what someone is willing to pay. If you're not willing to sell ... well then it's 'priceless' :rolleyes: I've pondered the 'worth' of my current 240Z project. I know what it would cost to reproduce. From your car pictures it seems we have the same tastes ... two 240Zs and of course the Z4 as the daily driver.

I'd also add that from the pics, it looks like it has no front bumper either. With an aftermarket airdam, that means there is an unfinished looking area..unless you did body work there to smooth it out.

I also don't see any paint. Flat black is not a paint when I go out to look at a car. It may as well be primer. It is a very "love it/hate it" look.

I also don't see any description of brake upgrades to match the new hp levels. Lowering springs..any new bushings? If things are stock, they better be in excellent condition.

No paint (I know its a flatblack murdered look), stock brakes, unknown condition of suspension sounds to me like $3000.00 extra that it needs. Add that to your price, and see how reasonable your asking price is.

I'm not trying to sound harsh here. I am very experienced in buying/selling z's, and I have a huge amount of recent experience selling an ultra modified Z. Modded Z's are harder to sell than stock Z's in similar condition. Think of a 20yr old explaining the car to his insurance agent. Insuring modded cars is not as easy at it once was. Many modded z's right now have not disclosed this to their ins companies...If they did I believe many would get dropped.

Good luck in your decision.

I dont know maybe I'm just too picky but if the car was anything but pure stock I would seriously hesitate before buying it if I intended to use it regularly. I dont think a new (to you) motor is really a selling point. You can get L28s dirt cheap, who knows where it came from. If it was rebuilt (which you say its not), who was it rebuilt by? If its anyone other than a well known shop its subject to a lot of scrutiny. A non-rebuilt motor's service history is a huge question. Rebuilt turbo? Again if it was anyone but a qualified shop (with reciept proof) its not really worth much more than a used turbo. The rest of the parts can be nit picked the same way. In this old of a car if its not new, I would question its longevity. If its rebuilt or replaced, I would question the level of workmanship.

Since our cars are actually pretty cheap and easily attainable I dont feel that any mods really add a lot to the value of the car. The body and "completeness" of the build are what ultimately will add value. The cars obviously repainted, how good of a job did you do with the paint/body work? To be a restoration candidate the car will have to be repainted. If it has to be redone then that subtracts a lot of potential value rather than adds it. Also how good of a job did you do with the swap? Is it hacked together in a rush, or did you take your time and iron out the details? Everyone I've talked to scrutinizes any swapped car MORE than a regular car. This is on average swapped cars are a little more "unstable" than factory cars. Theyre also typically driven in a very different manner. Even my co-worker's beautifully over-restored SR20 swapped 510 wagon (which he drives every day and to which I compare all motor swapped cars) still occasionally refuses to start.

To your credit, you could have done an awesome job with the car and I think a few potential questions would be answered simply by driving and looking at the car and not looking at the spec sheet. You can tell a lot of things just by how the car drives and you can usually spot a hack job a mile away. I feel that our cars are too personalized and unique to have an inherent "worth." You cant look up a KBB value, this isnt a Camry. The price is really up to what value each individual person applies to the car and it will vary greatly between each person who looks at it. If you sell I would list it early and, if you can afford it, do not be in a rush. Eventually you will find someone who values the car at a price you can be happy with.

Edited by h4nsm0l3m4n

A car is worth different to everybody. Your value of the car is what it is worth to you. Somebody may see it the same as you, others may put higher value (highly unlikely) and others will put lower values. You have to remember, the I guess, emotional 'worth' of your work put in the car isn't there for somebody else. Subtract 50% of the money you have in the car. That is a likely selling price.

As everyone knows the market is soft now. The wider your advertizing base is the more potential buyers and the better price you might get. Even the RESTORED STOCK 240Z have been loosing value the last couple of years. Oh for the boom years to return!!!

Subtract 50% of the money you have in the car. That is a likely selling price.

I agree, for a car with mods or custom features take about half what you have in it for a good starting price. Unless your last name is Foose, or Trepanier....

I've seen a few primered turbo 240z's for sale here in CA for around 3500 to 4500. I'm not sure if your car is painted matte/flat or if its primer.

Also I'm not sure of the smog laws where you are, but here anything after 1975 still needs a bi-annual smog inspection.

In the 5-7k price range I would expect a pretty turn-key / sorted out car. One that didn't need any major upgrades only minor accessories/customization.

To answer some questions:

xonix_digital- Ok, "pretty much" on the rust situation was not a wise choice of words. What I really meant was that the car is as rust free as a East Coast car gets, there is no rust on the floorboards, frame rails, body. I just left a margain for error cause no old East Coast Z is rust free.

240zip- The car does not have a front or rear bumper, althought the rear bumper area has been shaved nicely giving it a roll pan effect. I like it :) .

ZR8ED- Brakes- Super stock although I did buy the "premium brake pads" from napa ;) . And although everyone in there right mind will disagree with me, the brakes don't seem too bad honestly. Maybe I don't drive fast enough lol. Yeah I had to rebush the front differential, mustache bar, A arms, and I can't remember I'd have to climb underneath to get you the whole list. The bushings went very quickly after the car was lowered, even random ones that I didn't think would be effected by the drop (they probably needed replacing anyways come to think of it)

Also the car is flat black. Love it or hate it, it was painted for 30 dollars and came out very even. I know it isn't real paint but just to explain, paint isn't the direction I've been heading with this car. It just wasn't a concern for me, car is garaged and I personally like it. I'll add some more pictures. One of the way I bought the car. (from the classifieds on hybridz B) )

This is all good stuff guys, I appreciate all the responses.

post-4865-005764300 1289352633_thumb.jpg

post-4865-065617800 1289352656_thumb.jpg

post-4865-090318000 1289352705_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Everyone and their mother lists something on ebay with a ridiculous reserve. Sometimes they put for sale locally in the ad. Sometimes they want people to push the limit or start a bidding war and just second chance the highest bidder at the end. Sometimes they have a friend bid and bump up the price. Sometimes they bid really high on their own item to make another one of theirs seem more valuable. I wouldn't worry about being unethical selling on ebay... but if you're at it you might as well set the reserve at a price you think is good, and if it actually sells then all the better. You can always set it a little high the first time, one relist is free. It seems to me that having a reserve though makes people less inclined to bid seriously because they don't take the seller seriously (as in they figure the reserve is too high to be worth the effort anyway); perhaps it's just me. Either way you still have to pay the listing fee so keep that in mind if you're just experimenting.

That $30 primer job added hundreds to the value. Some upgrades are definitely worth it. I think donald trump always gives an analogy about buying a dirty car, giving it a $5 car wash, and reselling it for $100 more. Although at the opposite end of the spectrum, maintenance type items don't really add much of anything. Some people think they can resell their car for how much they paid for it plus all the money they put into fixing it up after it broke down (Yes, I actually know someone like that.). A brand new shiny name brand alternator with lightning bolts and chrome accents is about as valuable as a 40 year old fully functioning stock one. Even customizations are only a good selling point to that one guy that has the same tastes as you, in fact many customizations make a car worth less (just look at those tilt hood corvettes that people can't even seem to get rid of). I think that's why it seems so difficult to put a price tag on a car such as these. There's a guy at work that always kept asking if I would sell him my z and when he found out it had a jdm engine he said nevermind. Basically, while the value might very well have gone up, the target audience certainly narrowed. Once you get a fair price in mind, don't let lowballers discourage you, hold out as long as you can, and publicize it as much as possible so you're sure to find that one guy that loves rusty primered sunroofs, lest you submit to selling it short. ;)