HybridZ

Used Motorcycle Questions

EvilC

So I have been playing with the idea for the past few weeks to get a motorcycle. Yes, a crotch rocket. I really do like the 07-08 Yamaha R1.

I have never owed my own bike but have taught a few of my friends to ride. I wanted to wait until I knew I was mature enough to get one of my own. At 26 now, I do understand the danger of one especially living in NYC. I do look forward to really learning how to ride and def will be signing up for HPDE for bikes…..like you didn’t see that coming.

So when looking at used bikes, what are some things to look for? I am aware of making sure there is a free and clear title. Look at the bike for any obvious damage….frame/wheels/fork? I am guessing the chain would be something else to look at. One bike I have in mind, the owner told me it fell over from a standing location. Due to the fact it is only 30-40 degrees during the day now, taking one for a ride is almost out of the question.

Looking forward to some info from you guys who ride or did at one point. Also would like to hear from owners of other brands of bikes and hear your pro n cons.

Thanks

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Check for aftermarket parts, as most of the time when something breaks it's replaced by a aftermarket part. I bought my 07 R1 new and the only serious problem I have seen/heard from where a valve guide issue on some bikes and if they don't have them get the factory pilot powers. If someone claims abnormally low mileage the place to check is for a worn shifter, rub marks on the peg brackets and marks on the upper triple tree. Also don't let anyone discourage you from buying a bike, I bought my R1 as my first street bike and love every second of it.

DSC00735.jpg

Edited by hoov100

Buying a bike is similar to buying a car, just look for obvious things. Make sure the bike has never been down(dropped in the driveway not moving is fine). Also look at the character of the person.Even if the bike has low mileage they may have been the type of person to beat the hell out of their bike doing stunting, stoppies, wheelies ect.. Also look for a bike that is mostly stock, the more stock the better. then you get a better idea of what condition the bike is actually in. I also question people that write in their add that they just put a whole new set of after market fairings on their bike(they probably crashed it!)

And I try to look for a bike with under 10,000 miles!

I ride a 2001 zx6r(kawasaki) Its a great starter bike but it has its limitations. I personally like the ride of the honda's, F4i, or the 600RR. they feel really well balanced, comfortable, and I like the way they look. My brother rides a F4i, and I prefer his bike over my bike anyday, They are the same year bike but the ride quality on his is so much better. My other brother rides a 2006 gsxr600, His bike looks very nice and the models proceeding it do to. the bike simply put feels luxurious compared to other bike Ive ridden. Its very comfortable and I like the power band on it. Another bike Ive ridden is the 2005 636, I did not like it, it feels bulky, and I felt like I couldn't turn with it. had pretty decent power though.

Lastly, when shopping, Take Your Time. You will score a great deal if you do, theres always one person who just puts their bike up and gets rid for cheap to sell it quickly, or someone who just started to ride and had a light crash and just wants to get rid of it. Just constantly scour craigslist.

Here are some of the bikes im leaning towards as my next bike, maybe you will see something you like.

http://www.dieselstation.com/pics/2009-Kawasaki-Ninja-ZX-6R-bike-wallpapers.jpg

http://www.2wheelkits.com/images/2008_4_GSX-R600_BlackMatte2.jpg

http://www.redracingparts.com/images/fiberglass/honda/CBR600RR2007.jpg

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/upload/211443/images/Honda%20CBR600RR%20ABS.jpg

Edited by stravi757

If you're not a giant, you should definately consider a 600 or 750. I drive a zx6r and my buddies on bigger liter bikes cant even keep up on backroads (and they're more experienced than I). Not to mention you'll probably like the more nimble, smaller bikes being in the city. I'm biased to Kawasaki, but cant go wrong with an R6 or cbr.

Anyways, make sure all the gears shift smoothly..check for any jimmy-rigged wiring; Especially if there's any aftermarket electrics or lights. If you're getting a newer bike (such as an 07+ like you stated) chances are not much if anything will be wrong with it. Now is definately the time to buy a bike though..wait until spring and expect to pay much more for the same bike you could buy now for say $1000 less.

Also, make sure you spend the money on quality gear. A nice helmet (Shoei, Arai) will make riding much more pleasurable; Not to mention a shitty helmet will discourage you from actually wearing it. But I wont turn this into a gear thread, just dont take your skin for granted.

Alright I'm done rambling, welcome to the 2 wheel world-

Thanks for all the info so far. The bike I will look at in the am in a 08 R1 with 7k miles for $6k. Bike is stock. It is priced low for something near the city. I have been on CL looking at prices of the model and year bikes and there is a difference being here in NYC or about 2 hours away. I expected that.

hoov100, I was looking for a bike exactly like yours or the red n blk theme to kinda go with the Z, lol. I can always repaint the bike I buy. I don't plan on changing bikes every few years.

Like you guys stated, I will try to get a sense of what kind of rider people are before I buy anything. Between now and tax season will be the time to get a deal. If anything, I will snap pics of some of the bikes I am looking at but I will say I would like to keep my spending @ $5k.

This bike I am going to look at is 10 mins from my house and about $1k more than I want to spend but about two years newer than what I thought I would find....so we all know how that goes.

My .02 not answering the question - I just sold a '06 R1 i had for a year because it is not nearly as fun on the street as I was hoping. Sure, it's cool, it sounds awesome, and is way fast, but my SV650 is just as fast until about 60mph and is way easier to ride. The only place the R1 shines over my SV is in passing and approaching/exceeding triple digit speeds. I've had it out in the Hill Country here and found those few moments of blistering acceleration didn't outweigh the insurance or fuel costs... or worrying about theft.

For reference, I bought my first bike 7 years ago, a 2003 SV650S. I've put 37k miles on it, crashed it several times, upgraded suspension, and am about to begin my novice racing season on it. I smoke dudes on R1's and every other bike all the time on the track and I keep up just fine with my liter bike-riding friends in town and on country rides; that irritates them. It'll take you from beginner rider to the end. It teaches you to rely on your riding ability and improving it rather than on the sheer HP of the bike.

But maybe you're just looking it to pose. :)

To kinda answer the question. The chain is a good place to start - look for stiff links and rust. Ask about oil changes, check the exterior appearance of the filter and the cleanliness of the oil through the site glass. Take a look at the second trip meter and see if the distance looks like the guy has been using it to measure since the last time the oil was changed. Ask where it's been serviced. Check the brake fluid color and pad life. Twist the throttle and make sure it returns smoothly and quickly with a snap.

As with anything else, make sure the title is clean and clear and mileage matches the cluster. Thought of another one - do a little probing to see what kinda group the guy hangs out with. Maybe ask him to start it up and see if he revs it with a cold engine; he should just start it and let it idle on its own. All the SS bikes ridden on the street tend to get beat on; I'm more afraid to buy a SS street bike than one that's been through a race season.

Edited by ShaggyZ

My .02 not answering the question - I just sold a '06 R1 i had for a year because it is not nearly as fun on the street as I was hoping. Sure, it's cool, it sounds awesome, and is way fast, but my SV650 is just as fast until about 60mph and is way easier to ride. The only place the R1 shines over my SV is in passing and approaching/exceeding triple digit speeds. I've had it out in the Hill Country here and found those few moments of blistering acceleration didn't outweigh the insurance or fuel costs... or worrying about theft.

For reference, I bought my first bike 7 years ago, a 2003 SV650S. I've put 37k miles on it, crashed it several times, upgraded suspension, and am about to begin my novice racing season on it. I smoke dudes on R1's and every other bike all the time on the track and I keep up just fine with my liter bike-riding friends in town and on country rides; that irritates them. It'll take you from beginner rider to the end. It teaches you to rely on your riding ability and improving it rather than on the sheer HP of the bike.

But maybe you're just looking it to pose. :)

To kinda answer the question. The chain is a good place to start - look for stiff links and rust. Ask about oil changes, check the exterior appearance of the filter and the cleanliness of the oil through the site glass. Take a look at the second trip meter and see if the distance looks like the guy has been using it to measure since the last time the oil was changed. Ask where it's been serviced. Check the brake fluid color and pad life. Twist the throttle and make sure it returns smoothly and quickly with a snap.

As with anything else, make sure the title is clean and clear and mileage matches the cluster. Thought of another one - do a little probing to see what kinda group the guy hangs out with. Maybe ask him to start it up and see if he revs it with a cold engine; he should just start it and let it idle on its own. All the SS bikes ridden on the street tend to get beat on; I'm more afraid to buy a SS street bike than one that's been through a race season.

I feel the insurance argument is very over played, I'm currently paying $800 a year for full coverage on my 07. I am 21, have had my license for less then two years with no accidents or tickets. As far as rider skill determining how fast the capable the bike really is. That is true, I have smoked liter bikes on 600's and I have smoked 600's on my R1, but I don't feel that it's really a good way to purchase anything. I feel that if you like it, buy it. I bought my R1 because I liked it, I know I could have learned faster on a 600, but I liked the R1 and bought it. I'm not saying you are wrong, but in my honest opinion when it comes to things like these, I would buy something that I liked regardless (most of the time anyway) of how it performs compared to something else.

I just got myself a bike not to long ago, i took a friend with me to check it out that has been riding for 4 years and has went through a few bikes. Had him test ride it and i test rode it. 2006 zx6r (636). I looked for any and all parts that would be damaged in a crash, leaks, oil level and color, same things as a car sorta. I'm 200lbs 6'2 and its a little cramped but its not uncomfortable. Best advice everyone has given me is "Ride like your invisible"

76936_1679577271827_1309408441_31835740_1296847_n.jpg

I feel the insurance argument is very over played, I'm currently paying $800 a year for full coverage on my 07. I am 21, have had my license for less then two years with no accidents or tickets. As far as rider skill determining how fast the capable the bike really is. That is true, I have smoked liter bikes on 600's and I have smoked 600's on my R1, but I don't feel that it's really a good way to purchase anything. I feel that if you like it, buy it. I bought my R1 because I liked it, I know I could have learned faster on a 600, but I liked the R1 and bought it. I'm not saying you are wrong, but in my honest opinion when it comes to things like these, I would buy something that I liked regardless (most of the time anyway) of how it performs compared to something else.

You're not exactly wrong, but my insurance on the R1 was $1100/year with the same coverage (not minimum) as my SV at $300/year. I'm 31 w/ wife and 2 kids and a clean record. It's hard to talk insurance value since there are so many variables but that should tell you something. The R1 is a very bad choice for a first bike; just because lots of guys have done it doesn't make it a good idea. Another thing to consider: I have far more fun riding my SV as fast as I do than riding the R1 even a little faster, and I think a lot of that has to do with being able to whack the throttle wide open (kinda) on the SV compared to the R1. Would you rather drive around in a 700HP Z than a 300HP Z? That's not an unreasonable comparison since an SV is about as fast as the 300HP Z and the R1 is about as fast as the 700HP Z. You're doing nearly 60mph before you even get to take advantage of the R1's power.

I'm not kidding myself: I don't expect you or anyone else to "downgrade" to a bike that makes sense for your riding. If you jumped on a stock-suspended SV from your R1, you'd think they were garbage, unrefined, and clunky. You'd likely grow to love it.

For what it's worth, I really want a Triumph Daytona 675. Those have great powerbands for street and track.

Edited by ShaggyZ

Maybe. The I4 600's are very peaky, moreso than the liter bikes, generally. It's like "no power, no power, 5k rpm, no power, 8k rpm, some power, 9k, BAM!" It goes from boring to ridiculous real quick. There are some exceptions, kinda, like the '09 Ninja ZX6R; it's gained a reputation for having great power across the band. Obviously, I'm a twin fan, especially as a street-ridden bike; very tractable power.

I don't mean to slam anyone here or try to "win." I've been in motorcycle land for 7 years and have ridden several different bikes on street and track and am hoping to give you guys a good perspective on what these bikes are like. I'll make the comparison again: R1 for most people is like driving around in a super peaky 1200HP Supra - they have no intentions of putting its handling to work (real riding in my opinion) and all that power can rarely be used but no one can convince them they'd probably enjoy a 200HP Miata instead.. and they would. :)

Edited by ShaggyZ

I have to agree on the SV-650...

Best starter bike that you'll find a reason to keep ever. Does everything but top speed well - and who needs that on the street?

If I were to have a bike for running around on a near daily basis the SV would be my pick.

I personally have two bikes - both RD350's - a '74 basically stock except for H4 Bi-Xenon headlight, and a '75 that will have a 400 engine/tranny, ported and piped with upgraded electrics.

It's currently stripped down and blasted awaiting a warm enough day to paint the frame - I have PickleX-20 on it so it won't rust.

Talk about fun bikes!

Oh - and I pay $94/yr for full coverage insurance with medical on the '74. I purchased it running good for $450 and spent about a week really cleaning it up and cleaning the carbs, putting on new oil/gas lines and in-line filters. Most of the time was spent polishing aluminum and chrome.

JohnC: All motor and no chassis as I remember. I had friends with 500's and one had a 750 and my '75 would eat them up in the mountains no sweat on my bikes or my part. On their part - they were scared poopless trying to keep up!

On their part - they were scared poopless trying to keep up!

A very flexible chassis with lots of head shake if you went into a corner too hard. You tippy toe into the corner and then blast out, hoping the flexy swingarm behaves itself. Sometimes it did, others times it tried to high side the bike. If you left enough room on the exit you would probably be OK.

A very flexible chassis with lots of head shake if you went into a corner too hard. You tippy toe into the corner and then blast out, hoping the flexy swingarm behaves itself. Sometimes it did, others times it tried to high side the bike. If you left enough room on the exit you would probably be OK.

Yup, just like I remember - good times, huh?

the problem with bikes is that the cool looking fast bikes suck to ride for a long ride and the good long distance bikes are ugly.i bought a 2002 yamaha fz1 new and still have it.currently has about 22k miles on it.the bike works great but-the seat is too close to the pegs or my legs are too long.i was in las vegas for a week and rented a bmw r1200gs(so called adventure bike)for 2 days and did a ride through death valley.did about 150 miles of dirt.bike is very tall and you would have to be at least 5'8" to ride it.i really like that bike.its kind of ugly.but it settled into a good 90 mph criuse with the grip warmers on no problem.young guys buy sport bikes but eventually they either give up on bikes or move out of sport bikes.the insurence is only expensive if you want full coverage.my fz1 has never had full coverage because when it was new i was quoted $2400 a year.at 42 years old with no tickets i wasnt going to pay that much.i got basic pl/pd with a big uninsured motorist coverage instead.most of the young guys with liter bikes if i check out the tires they have squid strips-they are only worn in the middle