HybridZ

What sports car to buy?

Drax240z

47 members have voted

1. 1. What sports/super car would you buy in the $25,000 range?

• Porsche 911
    • Acura NSX
    • BMW Z3M Coupe
    • Corvette Z06
    • Other car
    • Save more money to buy more expensive car!

So let's say hypothetically you have $25,000 to spend on an used sports car. It's going to be a bit of a garage queen, reserved for weekend and summer jaunts. You don't want to put much time into maintenance/building, otherwise you'd have something along the lines of another Z. Staying away from anything too exotic and old (ie: old lotus, old lambo, etc.) due to ongoing costs and work.

Basically it's got to be a drive it, enjoy it, park it, and drive it again car. What would you buy?

porsche_911_turbo_1986-L.jpg

acura-nsx.jpg

BMW_M_coupe_32369_20080226_l.jpg

Electron-Blue-Chevrolet-Corvette-01.jpg

Thoughts and comments encouraged.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Administrators

If track performance is key, P-car or Z-O6.

Sex appeal, NSX.

Overall fun performance with quality build, NSX, P-car, Angry clown shoe.

Something that allows you to tinker on it and doesn't cost and arm and a leg for new/used replacement parts, (power-train or chassis) Z-O6. If no desire to tinker on the power-train, Clown shoe has a bit of aftermarket support, P-car has tons.

BLOZ UP suggestions are also very good. :2thumbs:

From your list, the best all arounder has to be the P-car.

Why did you have to make it so hard to choose?!? First choice is the Porsche, just because of it's track-a-bility and fun, as an all around awesome car... NSX if I were feeling like something exotic and unique. Like mxgsfmdpx pointed out, the Supra is always a good choice too :)

I do think that the Porsche would look the best sitting next to the Z in the garage :D

No doubt, an S2000 or E36 M3. One of those will be my next DD.

I have driven both generations of S2ks, along with the E30 and E36 M3. The S2000 is honestly amazing, from the engine and shifter to the suspension, they all work together in perfect harmony. The E30 M3 is raw, but very satisfying to drive and corners like nothing else. The E36 M3 is more refined and torquey with those extra 2 cylinders, but still has that sports car feel. Both BMW and Honda have engineered their cars very well and everything from button positioning to the feel and sound of the door closing has been thought out.

I've met Steve Dinan (founder of Dinan Engineering) and after someone else made a comment at the expense of "Honduhs" he replied that "Honda is the BMW of Japan." I seem to agree!

FWIW, I'm 6'2", 190lb and fit into any of these cars without a problem, but if I was any bigger I think I'd have a tough time.

• Administrators

ZO6 if autocrossing is important. Great 'tool', but not the most refined.

NSX... positively drooling AND the wife will probably enjoy the right seat as much as you enjoy the left (is that sexist?).

Clown shoe... fun AND practical. Drive it every day anywhere and still embarrass most other cars.

P car... Yes :-)

Ok, the market here is a bit different from the US, and I'll use NZD not USD, but I'd probably get an MGF (had one before, fun car, light, agile and good power/weight ratio and front/rear weight), or a mid 80's porsche 911 or a porsche 928. Failing that a Jag XJ12 5.4 V12 is JUST in that price range for a decent example. Or maybe a Skyline GT350.

Some great responses guys, thank you. Mostly cars I've considered, but I have MY (personal) reasons for choosing some rather than others. I'll put them out there for debate.

The Originals

Porsche 911 - Lots to like, and everyone knows what that is. Drawbacks for me are 1) too common 2) probably too much work for a $25,000 example. Not ruling this out.

NSX - Really like these, need more power and more noise and basically they are great. Headers, exhaust, intake take care of the noise. If I didn't have a buddy locally with one I'd probably be more interested than I am. His is a 9.5/10 beauty. Still not ruling this one out.

Corvette Z06 - Never really in the running for me, but it's a hell of a lot of car for the money. Not sold on styling, commonality, or the cheap-ish fit and finish. Probably not in the running.

BMW Z3 M Coupe - Car I've been lusting over for 11 years. S54 examples have 315hp, and are among the best handling cars made. Love it or hate it styling, I love it. An object of desire, but is it the best choice? Front runner for sure.

The Suggestions

Lotus Elise - I lust after this car, but worry that it's going to be a bit underwhelming as a STREET car. If it was an autoX/track car, with only occasional street use, I'd consider it. For me, I'm looking for a street car with occasional autoX use.

Ariel Atom - See above, but twice as much. ;) I see a lotus 7/Ariel Atom as a 2-3 year DIY project down the road a bit.

BMW E30 - Too mundane/common for my tastes, even the M3. A bit too old. I drive an E36 every day as it is.

MKIV Supra - Driven a few, not the "driving" experience I am looking for though. I like them in a lot of ways, I'm more of a corner carver than a straight line guy though, and the Supra seems better tailored towards brutal acceleration.

Lancer EVO - I have ZERO interest in a boosted 4 cylinder unless it's in a MUCH lighter car than this. Not a big fan unless it's for rally use. (where it's phenomenal) Not my intended usage.

Honda S2000 - Best steering I've ever driven. Fits the corner carver in me. Engine is only so-so in my mind. Not a fan of convertibles. A bit too common for me.

Mustang - I've owned one, no interest in owning another. I understand the appeal, but I'm looking for something a bit less cookie cutter.

Volvo C30 T5 - Not quite going to do it for me, in this particular application. Maybe a better replacement for my daily driver, but I can't see a scenario where I get revved up to get the Volvo out of the garage for a weekend cruise. Not sure a manual tranny is available?

Super 7 - In the long term plan, but it's got to be DIY project and I'm not looking for that at this point. In a few years once the kids are doing their own thing perhaps.

BMW E36 M3 - Doesn't work for me, not looking for a daily driver. E36 already daily driven.

Porsche 928 - Just doesn't do "it" for me. Love it or hate it styling, and I don't love it.

Jaguar - Unless its an XK120 or a D-type, I'm going to have to pass. ;)

Skyline - RHD only here. Not an option for me.