HybridZ

Its winter time, anyone else having problems with their Z's?

josh817

Drove over to my lady friends house Christmas night, car ran like a champ. Next morning later it doesn't want to start. I think I lost spark, but I don't know how that would happen considering I parked the car... and that's it.

Curious if the cold somehow kills our electrical stuff. Typically in this cold weather, I crank it over for 2 or 3 seconds and get a little blip, then next time I crank it fires up. I'm using Weber's without the chokes hooked up. At my friends house though, I didn't get a little blip at all. Managed to troubleshoot as much as I could on the street and the coil wasn't sparking to the block when I held the wire to it. Maybe I couldn't see it with the sun.

Anyway it's back home now and I'll check for 12v. I always try to trivialize a situation so this time I'm telling myself now I can dig into projects I had backing up since the car isn't running. When it was running, I didn't want to mess with it!

The blue goose has landed and is ready for maintenance.

With a dead car, I can take of the carbs and test fit all this stuff, tear the wiring out and prepare for Megasquirt, and do the brakes FINALLY.

9bf2c4.jpg

Edited by josh817

I hate Gremlins! Possible the ignition problem has always been there and the cold has uncovered it?

I know on my old 70, the colder it was the harder it was to start. Of course once going it was great. This was with SU's and no choke cables.

Sure, if it's a 12v. My dad may have some spares at the shop that I can test with first before I snag yours.

I just figured it was cold because it was the first time I had parked it outside on the street and two nights ago it dropped into the 20's. My car hasn't seen that crap in a while. I thought it was the battery at first because it sounded lazy but we hooked jumpers to it and still nothing. I tried for a while and decided to stop before I fry something expensive...

Unfortunately, the flatbed/tilt bed tow truck nearly maimed the car since it sits so low. I heard the front air dam crunching but the damage is just on the underside so I don't care. Then he decided to push it from the rear spoiler so now that's all loose. I'll have to find a new way to mount it.

Edited by josh817

• 2 weeks later...

The only trouble I am having is that its too cold. I go out in the garage, shiver, then come back into the house and watch a movie in front of my fake fireplace. I think it is going to sit a while with only my other car to talk to. I may go back into the garage near spring. I have nothing critical to work on, and "while I'm at it" is something I have to watch out for!

Winter here in the N.E. and Z's don't mix. So mix your own.

734386096_ioNDu-XL.jpg

The only electrical problem I have, resulting from the cold weather, is from mice chewing the wires. That problem has been resolved, thankfully.

It was -20something-ish F at my parent's house.

We forgot the turbo Z had a low anti-freeze to water ratio because of water wetter.

The water in the waterpump and radiator froze (and possibly in the block). Luckily getting it into the garage where it thawed slowly we seem to have not damaged anything. No popped core plugs or busted radiator tubes.

My $300 parts car cranks really slowly even with a new battery in the cold mornings (36F woot!).

It's about 5 degrees (Fahrenheit) right now with winds at 30MPH, with gusts up approaching 70MPH. My truck has developed all kinds of new suspension noises, my *brand* new battery has a hard time turning the engine over and my seat isn't cushy anymore. My Z's in storage... in Oregon.

You know you are messed up if you think Oregon or Washington is nice climate. :D

Just got back from the north east... Pennsylvania claimed 2 tires, Virginia claimed a 12 pack of Reeses, and Arkansas claimed my glasses. Even the poor little Honda cranked over slowly up in Rhode Island. Luckily it had enough to start up without a fuss.

My cheap $160 travel cost vacation turned into at least a $500 trip... plus all the time driving in a Civic with my sister and brother in-law which is hell. They trashed my poor baby, I will never let family assume responsibility for my vehicle. Stupid me, I went in suspicious and they swooned me into trusting them. :bonk:

I still haven't worked on the Z. I'm trying to avoid it and focus on other things, mostly brakes.

Cygnus I like your wood stove. I want one when I have my own house. Is that a little Sterling motor powering the fan? Would make sense to utilize one rather than an electric fan.

Edited by josh817