HybridZ

ZG Flares Not fitting correctly

stav2201

Hey everyone, I am in the process of painting my car and finishing up my suspension for my 1975, 280z. I ordered The fiberglass ZG flares from MSA a few months ago and just got to the process of mounting them. Ive noticed that while attempting to fit them correctly the drivers side flare is about 1 1/2 inches longer than the passenger side flare (For the front wheels)and isn't mounting very easily, its almost to the point where it will break if i bend it to fit it correctly. I called MSA and they told me that it was normal and they require cutting sometimes and that you have to bend them a little, also, since i drilled holes in them for the screws i cannot return them. Im just wondering if anyone else ran into this issue? Was one flare longer than the other and do i really have to cut them to fit them on properly? I will post some pics tomorrow when i get back from work, any feed back in the mean time would be much appreciated, thank you.

Hey everyone, I am in the process of painting my car and finishing up my suspension for my 1975, 280z. I ordered The fiberglass ZG flares from MSA a few months ago and just got to the process of mounting them. Ive noticed that while attempting to fit them correctly the drivers side flare is about 1 1/2 inches longer than the passenger side flare (For the front wheels)and isn't mounting very easily, its almost to the point where it will break if i bend it to fit it correctly. I called MSA and they told me that it was normal and they require cutting sometimes and that you have to bend them a little, also, since i drilled holes in them for the screws i cannot return them. Im just wondering if anyone else ran into this issue? Was one flare longer than the other and do i really have to cut them to fit them on properly? I will post some pics tomorrow when i get back from work, any feed back in the mean time would be much appreciated, thank you.

Yes, they require some bending, and possibly some cutting. Yes, one side appears to be longer than the other, its up to your discretion on whether to trim it or not. Focus on lining up the top of the flare with the body line and the rear of the flare (the point that sits just above the rocker) first. Mounting them with tape and taking pictures to compare with other installations and taking a step back often to observe position helps a lot. Just be patient. Its better to take several days of trial and error fitting than to start cutting and messing them up permanently in a few hours.

This is from generational shifting of knockoff of a knockoff of a knockoff...

The original ZG Flares fit nicely. The seventh generation removed units everybody seems to be peddling these days don't.

:iagree: Mine (from MSA) also required trimming and sanding. IIRC, one of the fronts was like a 3/8" skinnier at one end and three of the four flares had a lip that needed trimming to make them even. Also, the ends were not totally round and needed some work as well.

This is from generational shifting of knockoff of a knockoff of a knockoff...

The original ZG Flares fit nicely. The seventh generation removed units everybody seems to be peddling these days don't.

Are the original flares the ones ZCCJDM sells? http://www.zccjdm.com/catalog.php/azcarbum/dt46936/pd1859595/240Z_280Z__S30Z__ZG__JDM_FENDER_FLARES.

• 2 weeks later...

I contacted the customer support for MSA and they informed me that, yes, the left front flare is supposed to be shaped like that due to the mold getting old and warped over the years. They claim that you can bend it and move it around and it will fit fine, just requires some adjusting... Didnt make much sense to me why they have been selling a partially broken item for the past 6 years regardless the fact that they get complaints every time they sell them (which the guy explained to me).

Im also installing the 240 front air dam (ducted) on my 280z with 17x9 rota RbRs, ive cut out the wheel wells but the front air dam does not sit flush and rubs against the tires. Anyone have any advice on where i should cut the air dam or if i can heat it up and bend it in some way? Thanks for the help.

Thers really no need to complain to them because that's the only molds they have and like some mention above, from knock offs to knock offs, it starts to change shape. All it requires is drill your holes first, hold up the fender, mark your holes, drill, then put them on. I got mine from zcarparts and it needed a bit of flex to work.

The best way I found and seen other members do it on here is line the two top holes up with the body line, then flex the edges inwards towards the wheel well curves. These sat 1 inch away from wheel well before flex, it actually sticks out a bit more and give it a better stance after flex.

SDC11886.jpg

Edited by piston

Sweet, thanks for the advice and visual. I just need to figure out how much more fender to cut off and how low i can place the flares since im going with th 17x9 Rota RbR's in the front. The rears prove to be a little more difficult, im just not sure how low i can place the flares before they start rubbing against the tires in the rear. Any advice fellas?

• 1 year later...

I just received my ZG flares today and have a question about fit also. The fit was pretty good on all but one flare, the driver's side front. I know the molds are old and the fit has to be worked, but the front driver's wasn't looking right. After closer inspection I noticed that the flare was "trimmed up" a little too much I believe. It seems that the flares have a small "flange" area around the upper edge that lays against the body. The problem with my driver's front is that this flange is gone?

Check out the pics and someone confirm for me that this flare is NOT right. I have contacted the vendor, but I want the opinion of someone that has done this.

post-1083-054001100 1330825823_thumb.jpg

post-1083-085492600 1330825840_thumb.jpg

post-1083-005641100 1330825857_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I think I'm gonna bite the bullet on these. Great price, reviews check out good. They're a little wider than the standard ZG (3" in the back) but that's ok, they look great.

edit: just pulled the trigger. Looks like it'll be another month before they get here but that's alright by me... I've got a long ways to go before I need them.

Edited by luseboy

• 2 weeks later...

Update on the fenders. They arrived today, about 2 weeks faster than they said they would. I couldn't believe how great they look, just pushing them against the fender and qaurter panel, they push right into the body lines and don't appear that they will need any trimming or anything. There was no gap just holding them up, and I assume there will be none when they are screwed into place either. I can't believe it, these things are perfect! They seem pretty strong too, and weigh almost nothing. They are a good 3/4 of an inch wider than the og jdm ones, but I don't mind that, gives me more room to fit a big brake kit. I'm extremely satisfied. I don't think I will even need to put any welting on these. Though I may in the end. Anyways I will probably get them installed pretty soon here, need to order riv nuts and hardware from mcmaster carr. But I think these things are perfect and I highly reccomend them. I'm seriously shocked right now, I was expecting them to be pretty low quality.

My ZG flares from MSA fit nicely on the rear with minor persuasion. I haven't really messed with the fronts much, but it looks like it will be a similar procedure of marking the holes on the top, drilling, installing screws, and flexing the ends to fit.

Please post some pictures of your flares, with some mock ups, if you can.