HybridZ

Swapping 240z to R200 and CVs

DeLorean

I have been reading and gathering parts for an R200 swap and I would love someones clarification, because I have confused the sh*t out of myself. I have a '73 240z, I hope to start an RB25 swap soon and I want to beef up the rear end (pretty sure my halfshafts are nearly cooked anyway).

I have the following parts:

3.90 R200

280ZXT CV axles

280z mustache bar

280z companion flanges.

I am planning on ordering the conversion package from Modern motorsports, but I have emailed them a dozen times and not had a single response.

Am I missing anything aside from the adapter from MM? Do I need 280z stub axles in order to use the 280z companion flanges? Any clarification you guys can provide would be much appreciated, I really hate to post asking for this info, but I'm just not getting it haha...

Thanks

Delorean-

Sounds like you've got most of the big parts needed to do the swap. You may need a different pinion flange, depending on which R200 you've got. See this thread for clarification: "http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/75675-r180-to-r200-pinion-flange-question/page__p__720437__hl__%2Bpinion+%2Bflange+%2Bswap+%2Br180+%2Br200__fromsearch__1#entry720437".

Don't know what you're currently using for forward differential mount, but it's pretty common that you have to flip the mount around in order to mate correctly with the R200 forward mounting bolts.

Hope this helps. Good luck with the swap, and be sure to post your results...always helpful to hear what worked and what didn't work.

r/John

Yep...you should be able to use the S30 half-shafts (if they're the 4-bolt style to mate up with your 280Z companion flanges). You may have some possible length issues, depending on if/how much you've lowered your suspension. Due to the extra width of the R200 (especially on driver-side), there's a risk of the half-shaft bottoming-out during suspension compression. May not be an issue, depending on your particular set-up and intended use. I found a ton of good info in the stickie at "http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/49194-differential-cv-lsd-hp-torque-r160-r180-r200-r230-diff-mount/".

Good luck! I'm in similar situation as you (maybe 6 months behind)....currently in the process of gathering the necessary parts to do the swap. I'll be watching your swap with much interest!! :D

You could also just make/have made an adaptor plate for your outer cv joints to your companion flanges. There are a few designs out there floating around. Wolf creek racing makes an adaptor for Porsche CV joints but you could use the same idea.

A guy made some funky lookin steel ones that kinda look like a squashed spool with some holes drilled into it that you can find online if you google "240z companion flange CV adaptor"

Or even just welding a plate that surrounds the companion flange and drilling the correct holes into it. If you notice, Ross offers that as well as his billet ones. If you're not gonna be running crazy insane torque with big ol tires I'd consider it.