HybridZ

People driving with brights on all the time

BLOZ UP

Is it me.... or was there a large increase in the past year or so of people driving around in city traffic with their brights on all the time?

There are also a lot more people with HIDs in their halogen housings, which also blind me, but I can usually tell the difference.

I just see people driving around lit roads with their headlights blinding me a lot more than I used to.

If they happen to be behind me, I have been able to peer into their cockpits to verify that their dash has the blue highbeam indicator lit. They also seem to be the type that drive with there mouth open...

So, completely oblivious that their brights are even on? They just don't realize that the angle and intensity of high beams is distracting and annoying to oncoming traffic (and even people in front of you going the same way!)? What gives?

Maybe they have always been diving like that you your car is just low/lower. I haven't really noticed a difference but I agree that people are always driving with their high beams on. I dont understand why. when Im a a road and I notice a person shut the highs off as were passing each other, I think to myself, why? So I try turning mine on in whichever car Im driving, and %95 of the time I feel like they are just doing it because the opportunity is there... or maybe they think there are giving their low's a break, or are trying to make them last longer..hmm

I know a lot of people just switch to their high beams instead of replacing their bulbs. It pisses me off but my Audi has 110W high beams, I love to play the game :blink:

At least in TX, failure to dim highbeams is a traffic offense. I wish I saw more police officers actually enforcing it. As well as the HID modifications which aren't legal either.

But so few officers, so many other things to pull people over for I guess.

I have also noticed the growing trend. It is extremely annoying. I usually let those people pass me or I switch lanes. The only explanation that I can think of for this is that they turn on their high beams trying to duplicate the brighter look of HIDs, not knowing or thinking that they blind other drivers.

Those creeps have been around forever, them and the folks who run with their road lights on. When I was driving my own truck, I had a set of 24 volt landing lights that would make even the stupidest of drivers dim their lights:) I always wondered how someone could spend thousands of dollars on a car without a dimmer switch.

I must admit, my H-4 Lights.com supplied Narva bulbs went out on low beam after 15 years of driving, so being the cheapskate I am I put duct tape over the highbeam reflector region of the Autopal Reflector lens and drove on unabated until I had a chance to get him face to face and complain about his cheap bulbs. I mean really, 15 years? C'mon! These replacements should be WARRANTY!

Seriously, I duct taped the headlights when the second low-beam went out within a week of the first.

Of course that week of driving took 3 months given the time the car was parked at the LAX Parking Structure...

Yeah there are a lot of them. It's even worse being low to the ground because they're practically pointed right at you. Especially big bro trucks with like eight of them. Not sure that there's an increasing trend though, it's always been that way. I never thought of it as being because of lacking lowbeams, just being jackasses, but that's a good theory too. I've always wanted to mount headlights pointing backwards just so I could return the compliment to those people when they're behind me.

If anything it seems to me people around here are getting away with having nothing a lot more. What kind of weirdo drives in the middle of the night without their lights on? I also always see singles in threes. Perhaps I'm just more aware now that I do so much night driving. I did see someone get pulled over a few weeks ago after switching them on way too late to recover, which I enjoyed. Also drunk drivers at 9PM, seriously?? I always wanted to dial 911 like the amber alert board says but it feels like a waste of time.

See now you got me all worked up. Man this stuff really grinds my gears.

I've always wanted to mount headlights pointing backwards just so I could return the compliment to those people when they're behind me.

Since my 62 VW Bus didnt have reverse lights, and in a dark bowling alley parking lot I krinked the rear corner on a Dodge tank on league night... when my original tranny took a dump and I refit the 67 box with a reverse switch, I decided 'hey, I can put real back-up lights on this thing' so on the bumper I clamped one 55W H3 driving light with a pencil beam, and one 55W H3 fog light. Worked through a relay anyway, so I figured 'if I need a light to dig myself out of a snowbank I may as well put this on a switch while I'm at it...'

Viola, exactly the same result. I would get guys with their high-beams on by backside and FOOF FOOF FOOF! Suddenly there were either low beams or they backed off far enough that it didn't bother me any more!

Vengance is mine!

That was about the time I had the Marchal 9" Super-Oscars on the front bumper with the big-watt Hellas for headlights. Back then, people would flash me because the lights were bright, but not aimed wrong or anything. Usually a flash...flash....constant high-beam at me oncoming.

When that high-beam came on full-time, I would romp on the foot switch with a vengance and feel the car slow down from the generator load of 2 130 Watt Hella High-Beams and 2 100W Marchal Super Oscars with a reflective range of something like 2 miles all coming on at once.

There was instantaneous compliance with oncoming low-beams after that little display...

Only once was it a Michigan State Police cruiser! :blink: He was not amused...

It never seemed to be this bad--but I suppose I am driving at night more often in the city as opposed to the highway, so I see more people rather than just sitting in a moving group.

When I do slow down to try and persuade them to change lanes and go around me, if they were behind me, i take a peak inside and it always just looks like some otherwise normal person who just decided, "well, hey, in this mode the lights are brighter! Why would you ever want them in the other mode?!"

In other words, completely oblivious to the whole existence of other people on the road...

And this is in my Nissan Pathfinder, which isn't exactly a low vehicle.

"Never ascribe to malicious intent that which otherwise can be attributed to simple ignorance."

Tony D's Law

:P

I never torched anybody who didn't flash-flash-torch me first.

I would only flick my highbeams at the occasional high-beam on driver. But now that you mention it, on the same stretches of road (even though it's now 4 lanes + a full shoulder instead of two with no shoulder) there does seem to be a lot of people just barrelling along oblivious to the Highbeam Indicator on their dashboard... :huh:

As a weird exception to this, a month or so back I was driving in my somewhat low 280Z, and on two separate occasions on that same trip people turned off their headlights altogether when they were behind me at lights. All I did was turn my rearview into night mode, and after they saw this, I guess, they turned off their lights. Turning back on after the light was green and I was further away.

So, there is hope.

Yea i just flick the ******'s in "bro" trucks off that have the 12" lifts and mommy and daddy supplied 20" wheels and 38+"tires to make up for their small genetalia....and its the FOG LIGHTS in their bumpers with HIDS that are killing my eyes the headlights are wayyyy over my car, even more so because my car is pretty low

2ykci13.jpg

Thats a 4" brillow pad about an inch shorter than a coke can, for reference

I've have noticed this for a while now, but it has gotten increasingly annoying since I recently switch my DD to my '78 280z which has no tint on the rear hatch glass. I think I am going to invest in one of those small train horn kits so when I slow up to make them pass me, I'll let them have it. :angry::lol:

As a weird exception to this, a month or so back I was driving in my somewhat low 280Z, and on two separate occasions on that same trip people turned off their headlights altogether when they were behind me at lights. All I did was turn my rearview into night mode, and after they saw this, I guess, they turned off their lights. Turning back on after the light was green and I was further away.

So, there is hope.

Stupid question: How do you switch to night mode or whatever. My rearview has a little star on the knob hing but the knob doesn't twist/pull/whatever. I always readjusted the angle manually...

I'm surprised Arlington has hope! Judging by the character association I have with Arlington, the headlights are bright but not the people. I remember in highschool this one kid with a v6 Camaro would always tell me my Z sucked and bragged about his HID install as if it was some epic task that took days of fabricating and wrenching.

Reality check:

He has no tools other than an adjustable wrench, hammer, screw driver. It's not that hard to do...

But then I thought to myself "Self; what other tools do you need to fix anything in this world." Usually a hammer solves everything whether you beat it into submission or throw it and walk off, which qualifies as "fixing".

My dad use to throw tools across the shop. You knew to be on alert when he started talking to inanimate objects as if the screw, bolt, etc. had a personal vendetta against him and didn't feel like cooperating. Once his curse words graduated from normal damn's and ass' to sexually explicit words like ***** and phrases with "mother" in it, you knew **** was going to fly.

Edited by josh817