HybridZ

Z32 Turbo Prices

Gollum

Not that I'm really in the market right now, but my wife really likes the Z32's, and every time she sees a NA one without a rear spoiler she points it out and shudders "it's naked" (she obviously prefers the spoiler). But finding the right Z32 really seems to be almost impossible. So here's my ideal Z32:

Later year with door mounted seatbelt. (94 up)

TT Model

Manual Trans

White or Blue (too much to ask?)

Non-Molested

Reasonable Price

Edit: Oh, and needs to be a non-2+2

It seems whenever I find one with most of these, they want like $8k+... I know production numbers aren't very high, but I believe I'm right in saying that even the lowest production year Z32 had more units made than the entire life of Mark 4 Supras... So what gives?

Will prices ever come down? Or will prices only go down as every single TT specimen out there gets utter ruined by JDM kids-yo?

Edited by Gollum

KBB is around $6,000 around here for a TT. Actual market value is around $8,000-12,000. They've always been high. We were lucky and got a non molested, albeit high-mileage, 92 TT (auto). After doing the timing belt, coolant hoses, a rear main, subharness delete, door lock fix, alarm fix, and replacing few corroded connectors and it's as good as new.

The low mileage ones were just too high to justify spending so much. We got it for just under KBB + $1,200 in repairs. Now I feel much better about this car then the $8,000+ ones which few of had actual proof of a timing belt job, or anything else for that matter.

You just have to sit and watch the ads for a while till a good one comes up.

They are getting more and more out of reach for "kids". Too old and relatively unreliable. They are also less widely known now-a-days. I don't know if they will ever reach Z31 status--where there's always some cheap one in the local paper. They are a proper sports car.

Edited by BLOZ UP

The curse in Z value more than anything else has always been availability. I can go find several S30's within arms reach right now. S130's are almost free due to them being thrown out. Z31's are right behind the S130 soon to be utterly worthless. But the Z32 had MUCH lower production numbers. Just didn't sell as well. But it still outsold any other Japanese sports car of the time (that I can think of).

But magically the Z33 production numbers were right back up where the Z32 should have been. Any I know why. I'd say at least half of the time I pass a 350Z it turns out to be a female driver. It's getting to be less so, but that was certainly the case when they were new. Female buyers really fill out the market and help make a car popular. But how many women want some old used Z car? Not nearly as many. When women go to a dealership the cars they gravitate towards will always do well. Mustang is a great example of that.

. Female buyers really fill out the market and help make a car popular. But how many women want some old used Z car? Not nearly as many. When women go to a dealership the cars they gravitate towards will always do well. Mustang is a great example of that.

Haha, never thought about that before. Follow the women, I always say!

My neighbor just got a Z32, Red TT, manual, with 62k miles on it for $8k. It has a few problems, most of which were listed above. The car is gorgeous, stock, and drives like a dream. After a few little fixes, it's going to be an awesome car.

Those relatively high US prices are strange but then again in AU there are a lot of grey imports which have kept used prices down. The Z32 body is a timeless design and up there with the S30 in that regard, sure to become a classic.

Those relatively high US prices are strange but then again in AU there are a lot of grey imports which have kept used prices down. The Z32 body is a timeless design and up there with the S30 in that regard, sure to become a classic.

he's got it, while Z32's were still selling for $14K+ here in the states, the JDM pricing was below $3500! In 2001, you could have as many as you wanted for that price. Same for Skylines of the same vintage.

The JDM cycles drop prices precipitiously for domestic stuff up to the 10 year point when they either get really cheap or start going up in price again. There are very few exceptions to this rule.

I bought my 75 Fairlady Z for $2400 in 1984. Less than 60K miles on it, and like new all around. And I overpaid, at auction those cars were selling for half that...but I was new in-country, how was I to know?

And smart me, I bought the 75 for $2400 because I got a two-year inspection on it (the last one)---why on EARTH would I have wanted that silver 71 for sale for $3200 at the lot next to it??? I mean, sure that S20 engine and 432 badging was cool and all, and the triple carbs were nice...but man, I needed to get it inspected every year---why would I pay a premium for all that hassle... :huh:

True Story, the logic haunts me to this very day... :(

Oh, it gets worse. Two weeks after I fill out all the triplicate paperwork to ship HLS30-156466 back to the states, the owner of the VERY SAME Z432 comes to me with a proposition:

The Shaken Sho laws have just changed so my FLARED 240Z body is now legal, given some elementary paperwork and would I consider trading the stripped tub with chassis components ("and you keep the yellow marker lights, I want the red US-Spec ones...") even across for the same 432 (now painted dark gunmetal grey). This deal would include the spare engine, and a rocket-box full of cams and Mechanical FI parts that goes with it...

It's not just stupidity that haunts me from my youth...it's the torture of knowing it came to me twice and away it went!

I briefly considered trading the guy, and shipping my other Z (the one with the 100L tank...another long story) along with the 432 but the inbility to get government shipping once the paperwork was initiated on ANYTHING BUT the subject vehicle already heretofore submitted for transport to the government will not be considered.....

Torture, as by then I knew what the car was...

I have photos of it, and photos in the Torii Station Auto Hobby Shop with the spare S20 engine sitting on the table next to my car. It was just another piece of iron to move out of the way when we were working on the cars! :blink:

For a clean one, year 94 or so, you can expect to pay 15+

Personally, If I could find a later year in near perfect condition, I wouldn't mind paying 20 for it.

Check the prices of JDM direct imports to Canada...they have some hefty markup, and are still cheaper than that! So sad our friends in the provinces have so much common-sense when it comes to this kind of stuff. Whereas here in the good old USofA or 'Freedom From Choice' protects not only us, but our environment as well! (figuring they will operate the vehicles anyway somewhere and recycling is a better idea than simply scrapping and remanufacturing...)

No offense, but for $15-20K...I'd rather be able to choose from the following page, personally:

MY GAWD!

But if Z32TT's are your bag, then look here:

And why are you willing to pay $20K???

Edited by Tony D

Check the prices of JDM direct imports to Canada...they have some hefty markup, and are still cheaper than that! So sad our friends in the provinces have so much common-sense when it comes to this kind of stuff. Whereas here in the good old USofA or 'Freedom From Choice' protects not only us, but our environment as well! (figuring they will operate the vehicles anyway somewhere and recycling is a better idea than simply scrapping and remanufacturing...)

No offense, but for $15-20K...I'd rather be able to choose from the following page, personally:

MY GAWD!

But those are JDM cars. You probably will not be able to register those cars here easily; moreover, they are right hand drive, something I do not prefer here in States. I agree with you though, performance wise, GTR is a more desirable car.

As far as paying 15-20 goes, it's completely personal. I've always had a thing for Z32s. You can easily find TTs under 10, but those won't be clean.

Btw wanted to clarify...

94 and up DID NOT have a door mounted seatbelt! The 90-94 models did. 94 and up had the seatbelt mounted like a normal car, not on the door.

90's are going to be the cheapest because they are the most problem prone.

1995 twin turbos are the most desirable because they have the 16 bit ecu AND still retain the variable valve timing.

1996 models DROPPED the variable valve timing due to emissions standards! Also they have the "****" ecu no one likes that is OBD2. Have to go completely stand alone to tune. The pre obd2 ecu's off the 90-95 can be chipped. Which is ALOT cheaper and easier. (z1 sells perfermance chip for $100)

Conclusion: The best z32 is a 1995 twin turbo.

The rarest z32 is a 1990 Nissan 300zx twin turbo convertible. Only 44 made. Also is the most desirable. Most have production numbers in 1989, but sold as 1990.

Edited by B00STDZ

Sorry, Freudian slip on the seat belts. Still looking for NON-Door mounted seatbelt, aka the later ones.

I personally don't care if it's OBD-II, and actually prefer it. If I'm going to break open the OEM ECU to tune it OBD codes will be the least of my worries come time to smog.

MY GAWD!

Wow. I had no idea they were such a deal over there...

Oh, I thought a twin turbo twin turbo...

RHD or LHD, makes no difference to me.

The point being the prices... They ARE easily registerable in Canada. Which was kind of a secondary point.

I guess you missed the stuff about 'Freedom from Choice' huh?

:huh:

Oh, I thought a twin turbo twin turbo...

RHD or LHD, makes no difference to me.

The point being the prices... They ARE easily registerable in Canada. Which was kind of a secondary point.

I guess you missed the stuff about 'Freedom from Choice' huh?

:huh:

RHD may not make not make any difference to you, but it's a big deal for me. Moreover, I am not in Canada; therefore, what you posted is irrelevant.

I agree with the point you made about keeping these cars going, instead of scrapping them.