HybridZ

My Dream LS7GTZ.......project underway

Are you a 240?  or 280?

My 1973 s30 with Zero usable fuel was 2252 without me.

I am 170 buck-nekkid also, I figure me and suit and helmet and HANS is another 200,

I still have L28 and am running the Toyota anchors. 

I wonder where the weight is?

I am trying to stay in a certain P/W class so I really can't dump anymore weight now.

But I think losing another 100lbs from the car is possible (CF hood & hatch, battery, alt, starter, struts and wheels)

This new 1970 shell I just acquired is a feather...  :)

Mine is a 1971 chassis. It has quite a bit of modifications and reinforcment to the frame rails and such. It would twist in half if not for the added steel square tube. I knew it added weight but was certainly necessary. My new plan goal is to drop between 250 - 300 lbs.

What is your goal date to have car back on the track? Rear suspension: any planned changes there?

I have a NASA race at Barber in February so I'd like to have it done by then. I have no plans on changing the rear suspension at this time. It would really require a whole tube frame redo and thats pretty much rebuilding the whole car. I should probably go ahead and just tube frame the whole car but thats just more work and money than I had planned. 

Matt, I was shocked when mine came in at 2709 without me in it, but my cage is fairly substantial, like yours, and I also have Pete's framerails in the car as well.  When I hear guys talk of weights in the 2100-2200 range I just shake my head and wonder "how".  That weight was before I swapped to CCWs and revamped a few other things.  I'm hoping that swapping from the Bowtie Block to the LS platform will have lowered it by 100+ pounds.  I'm also hoping that the other mods I made previously removed an additional 75#, based on my own weighing of individual components.

Your plan sounds solid and I'll be very interested in seeing what you come up with.  I'm wonder if going with a modified tie rod would also help longevity on the steering links.

Matt, I was shocked when mine came in at 2709 without me in it, but my cage is fairly substantial, like yours, and I also have Pete's framerails in the car as well.  When I hear guys talk of weights in the 2100-2200 range I just shake my head and wonder "how".  That weight was before I swapped to CCWs and revamped a few other things.  I'm hoping that swapping from the Bowtie Block to the LS platform will have lowered it by 100+ pounds.  I'm also hoping that the other mods I made previously removed an additional 75#, based on my own weighing of individual components.

Your plan sounds solid and I'll be very interested in seeing what you come up with.  I'm wonder if going with a modified tie rod would also help longevity on the steering links.

Going with the upper and lower control arms that are hung from a chromolly tube frame front clip will change everything. The hubs and bearings will now be like those found on an actual racecar vs. a riding lawn mower. The geometry of the suspension and tie rods after the upgrade will be like an actual race car (or modern designed sports car) vs. that of a semi modified 40 year old platform that has failed me twice. I am very interested, as you are, in how much weight will be lost in this transformation. I am adding back some in the undertray that wasn't there before, so there will be some give and take. The radiator box I will fab out of something that is extremely light vs. metal/aluminum. I am not molding in any body panels and I believe there is even more weight to be removed in the rear "molded in" flares. The IMSA flares that are wider will be slightly heavier but no mud drops weight I believe. I have also given thought to losing the rear three piece IMSA tail, as I think the wing is doing most all the work. Redirecting the exhaust out the sides will allow me to drop the fuel cell 9 inches thus lowering the rear CG drastically. I might even have room in the engine bay to re locate the dry sump tank and in doing so reduce weight in the length of oil lines and oil in them. The addition of the adjustable shocks (Moton or Penske) will hopefully pay huge returns in set up and performance. It should but we will see........$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Edited by cobramatt

I thought everyone would get a kick out of this.

This is a funny video I did this past weekend at Road Atlanta while doing some testing for next weeks race in the Vette. A friend asked me to take his wife for a few spirited laps. She's a trooper........

OK.....

This might not be the Zcar but this is my last NASA race of the year at Road Atlanta this past weekend. I am happy to announce that I was able to defend and secure the NASA Championship for 2013 in the MTI Racing Datsun 240Z. The Z has begun the process of being torn down so the rebuild can take place. I will certainly post pictures of the re-build. 

This is my MTI Racing C5Z and I ran it as an ST2 car this past weekend. Even though the car is street legal and underpowered in class we were able to manage 3rd place in class and in the process have one of the best battles for position with fellow C5Z racer and friend Kevin Harvey of the year (I think I say that after every race). When you have a minute and really want to watch something entertaining check out this in-car footage from Kevin's car of our battle from start to finish. Kevin also makes one of the best high speed saves I've ever seen at the checkered flag that you don't want to miss. 

I want to wish all my fellow Hybrid Z friends and family a wonderful Holiday season, a very Merry Christmas and a safe and prosperous New Year. 

Did you miss a gear at 4:17>

I don't like watching stuff like this..... it gives me the bug.......

I'm sorry as this is not my in-car video. I am driving the White Vette in front of this red one. If we watch my video you don't get to see how close the race between Kevin and I was. It does seem as if he had a little difficulty there coming out of T5 and it slips out of third. 

that was nice.  I think my sphincter would close up tight in such a high speed track.  out here in AZ, the fastest I have been in the M3 is 140 at the end of the drag strip.  then it is a hard 180 at 60 mph.  we can hang with the c5's on the straight and out brake and corner on the back half.  kind of fun.  on some of the shorter tracks it is the pesky little Miata's that hang with us.  I see you have the same fun with the mustangs though.

jimbo

Today I ordered the new body panels. Just as I did before, Brian at Z CAR CUSTOMS-JDM and I are working together on all the pieces. We are doing the following:

New IMSA front Fenders

New upper and lower IMSA Gnose

New IMSA air dam and custom one piece lower air dam (new product)

New ZGR tail

New hood w/ custom rise cowl (new product)

New roof skin (new product)

New custom vented front cowl (new product)

The big deal is that all the pieces are going to be in 100% CARBON FIBER and the Gnose, air dam and hood will be 3 inches wider than the original mold. 

I am very excited about the added strength and weight loss in doing everything in CF. There is almost an 80lb savings in weight over the steel roof and fiberglass panels. The roof and hood are brand new custom items that Brian and I are working on. If you, like me, have an S-30 that had a sun roof and you are thinking of what to do, I would strongly suggest the CF roof skin.