HybridZ

Time to throw in the towel?

John Scott

This is going to be my second summer without being able to really drive or work on my Z. Three right wrist surgeries, fusion have now made it impossible to wrench, and nearly impossible to drive. Left in need of partial fusion. No fun just looking at it in the garage. This version, 383 6 speed going on 9 years without any hitches, but due for some freshening up. Not going to happen, and can't see it with an auto. Its kind of disappointing to see how few original HybridZ members there are who still have and drive their cars. 16 years with my Z may be coming to a close.

Edited by John Scott

Sorry to hear about your wrist problems. There is no shame in going auto with a stall converter. You work with what you got. KEEP YOUR HEAD UP. :) After a bad car accident a Doc told me I would not walk normally again, so forget about ever playing semi-pro football again. I couldn't play ball anymore but I walk normally and can run faster then guys 15 years younger then me. Took a couple of years. I am 45 by the way.

Edited by dexter72

Sorry to hear about your wrists John! I can't imagine how frustrating that would be!

I was always a die-hard fan of having a standard transmission, with the feeling that it made the driving experience more true or enjoyable. Then I drove a performance car with a modern automatic in it, and can see the appeal B)

Personally, I'd be open to the option of having a shop swap in a newer automatic, and see if that makes things enjoyable again. However, only you will know what is right for you. Either way, I hope to keep seeing you post here!

Checking in as an old time memeber here (Feb 00 joined when it used to be v8zcars.com....). Sorry to hear about your wrist conditon (tried advanced medicine?)

It's been 11 years now and I still haven't finished my original "vision" of a modified Z. I'm getting closer but damn the cost to "do it right" is kicking my arse!

Best of luck to ya and I'd check on the paddle shifters too!

David

I was also considering calling it quits recently, but for financial reasons. It seems like the value of older z cars is skyrocketing. Give it a few more years and I'd imagine it'll be difficult trying to get back into these cars without having to sell a kidney. Or maybe somebody else's Lol.

Checking in as an old time memeber here (Feb 00 joined when it used to be v8zcars.com....). Sorry to hear about your wrist conditon (tried advanced medicine?)

It's been 11 years now and I still haven't finished my original "vision" of a modified Z. I'm getting closer but damn the cost to "do it right" is kicking my arse!

Best of luck to ya and I'd check on the paddle shifters too!

David

Funny how things change over time. By the time I had built my car to my vision, my vision had changed. I then rebuilt the car with my new needs/wants in a sports car, then my vision changed again, and the cost of rebuilding was prohibitive given where I am in my life. The time and money I once had, I am now using for other things.

So here is my advice.

Modify the car to be able to enjoy it some more, or move on and don't look back. As other long time members here have told me, Z's are awsome, but there are many other awsome cars out there. Don't limit your self just because you have had the car a long time.

Take care of yourself and goodluck with the car

Scott.

Sorry to hear about your wrist problems. Just don't do anything rash about getting rid of your Z. If I were you, I'd have someone build me a really strong auto , and add a high stall converter. Just keep us all informed how you're getting along, and remember we're all behind you.

Good luck.

Joe

Sorry to hear about those issues John, you've come a long way since the early days with the car! I think Scott nailed it, times change, and if the car takes too long to build it doesn't change as fast as we all do. ;)

You have my sympathies. Fused backs and wrists do crimp one's style. Our office represents injured workers in worker's compensation claims in California and, I assure you, we have seen individuals without a right hand drive a floor shift. I don't know the real nature of your injury, but here are some solutions we've seen for carpal tunnel injuries with surgery:

1. If your wrist is fused, but your fingers can still function and you can make a weak fist, consider a "brody knob" on the steering wheel and large round knob on the shift lever... think something the size of a billiard ball. In fact, I saw this as a red and black "8" ball on a client's car. There are veterans without both legs and with only one natural hand and a partial limb with prothesis that are driving and, I might add, enjoying life.

2. An automatic transmission solves many problems and for 1/4 mile runs is actually a better choice than the 6 speed.

3. If you are a solitary wrencher (not to be confused with a solitary wencher... which does sound like more fun), you may not have the fine motor control to start a nut that you can not see. But, you might begin working with others .... this hobby does offer a lot to a social wrenchers. If you can't do it, someone else can help.

Has your surgeon recommended physical therapy? If he/she hasn't, you should inquire. It is often painful to start, but it will pay you dividends in a very short time.

For what it is worth, I lurked for about a year on the old site before I signed up. I've had my Z for more than 11 years and I've never driven it. Started with a SBC, pulled that out and in went the LT1 Gen II, pulled that out and in went the current LM7. Next year, I'll show it at the Dr. George show in Indian Wells.... even if I have to drag it out there and some one will have to guide me by the hand over there.

G

This is going to be my second summer without being able to really drive or work on my Z. Three right wrist surgeries, fusion have now made it impossible to wrench, and nearly impossible to drive. Left in need of partial fusion. No fun just looking at it in the garage. This version, 383 6 speed going on 9 years without any hitches, but due for some freshening up. Not going to happen, and can't see it with an auto. Its kind of disappointing to see how few original HybridZ members there are who still have and drive their cars. 16 years with my Z may be coming to a close.

I met a gent at the Australian Muscle Car Masters meet outside Blacktown some years ago. Mr. Justice, driving a tautly sprung 240Z that he'd driven down from Queensland. (Member of the QLD Zed Club)

He had three fused vertebra, and it was a chore for him to get into and out of the car, and with that suspension no doubt painful on the roadway as well.

All I could think of was that he was truly a dedicated enthusiast to suffer so greatly to attend an event, and then to take the time to show me things and really point out a lot of high-points this foreign visitor would have otherwise missed.

Many of us take for granted enjoyment in our hobby, and from time to time we should count ourselves fortunate to enjoy relative health, and prosperity to allow us to engage in this hobby unencumbered by the trials endured by many.

As a carpal tunnel candidate, I do not look forward to my future. I wish you well in the endeavors. There is nothing wrong with an automatic, especially if it keeps you in the car and gives you some outlet.

We all need something, and if it passes that this is not possible for you in the future, I wish you all the best in finding an equitable solution for alternate release. Like I said, 'we all need something' and hopefully you won't have to make a change.

Good Luck!

<EDIT> I also have to add that the comment on therapy is one to seriously consider. With my CT, I happened upon a massage therapist in Thailand who worked wonders. For the first time in 10+ years I awoke without the sensation of two ice picks being driven through my wrists. I long for the return to Thailand and that job site, as since that therapy I've been able to relate it to other therapists and they have been able to somewhat relieve the symptoms and keep me productive. But not so well as the one in Thailand. She worked wonders and I was shocked and amazed at how well it worked and how long the results lasted. It also helped me identify specific actions which aggravated my condition more than others. I had no idea before, so I can now avoid some things and keep myself 'useful' at work longer. Again, whatever the outcome, good luck!

Edited by Tony D

Thanks for the replies and support.

I blew the lunate/ schaphoid ligaments in both wrists. The upper bones settled into the void, went arthritic, lots of bone contact. Right was worse so I tried a partial fusion, but bone collapsed causing screws to grind off cartilage. Second surgery, even though only two months from first was too late. Now almost total contact wrist to radius. Nearly all last spring and summer were in a cast, splint. Only solution is now to fuse solid. I can turn palm up and down, but that's the extent of movement. I requested the 10 degree dorsiflection for pushing strength. It will work better for weight lifting, hopefully biking and popping off a few .40 S&W rounds at the range. My whole life has been in construction, metal smithing, has been drummer, and car nut. No one touches my nuts but me :blink:

Right now I'm in a pissy mood, so I'll wait and see what I can do before jumping to conclusions.

Here's the new hardware I get tomorrow morning:

lcp_fusion_system.jpg

Edited by John Scott

Wow, that is some heavy wrist hardware John. I am sorry to hear about it. I've worked with some orthopedic guys here in Dallas recovering patients after surgery, it's not fun. I pray the best for your surgery tomorrow, and hope you find peace with whatever decision you make on the car.

Best of luck with the surgery, recovery, and readjustment of your life around your new challenge. You will find ways to work with it. Use you're inventiveness. You might design custom levers, handles, triggers....etc for all your toyz so you can continue to enjoy them. Don't be too ashamed to ask for help initially. I know it's very difficult for me to ask for help if I can't do something. I don't know about you but, I am way too "DIY Stubborn" sometimes.

Not to make light of your injuries, but they've been doing a lot of research in the last 20 years for bionic replacement limbs. They're learning so much more about the nervous system and have come a long way in developing nerve feedback control systems for synthetic limbs.

I would think that this would be a fascinating thing for someone who loves to wrench.

terminator-arm_large.jpg?1279236669

I don't know how much these procedures cost or what the requirements are for them, but I know fusions can cause pain and discomfort, even when they work.

I'm hoping by the time I'm old enough that my family has to start thinking about putting me in a home, that they'll have full-borg humanoid chassis available, so I can just drop my brain in there and live forever.

In all seriousness, I wish the best of luck to you and hope you don't make any emotional decisions too quickly. I've read lots of posts about your car and experiences, it has been an inspiration for my project (I went 383 SBC, as well, and eventually want to throw the 6 speed in).

• 2 weeks later...