HybridZ

My simple aluminum dash.

EMWHYR0HEN

I tossed the stock dash for one reason, weight.

First I mocked up a cardboard jig just to get an idea (Thanks Clifton for the pics and specs). Then I pulled some measurments and cut the top out (.40 thick) with some heavy duty sheers. Then I cut out the front face and side supports (.080) with a cut of wheel and had a cool wet rag near by to keep the metal from worping.

I don't have a TIG welder so everything is bolted bogether. Fairly easy, I just cut it out so that there are tabs every 4'', then bent the tabs in the direction or angle desired. After that I just lined it up and drilled through both peices.

I weighed the new Aluminum dash with my scale I use for fishing (pretty accurate) and it weighed 4 Lbs 3 ounces w/o gauges. Finished it with flat black because it was like a mirror in the sun. Finally, I mounted it to the car using scraps bent into "L" brackets using the stock mounting points.

Oh and all the materials only set me back 30 bucks at IMS! Easy to cut, priced ok, doesnt rust, I think i'm starting to LOVE aluminum!

IMG_0095.JPG

IMG_0096.JPG

IMG_01001.JPG

IMG_0099.JPG

IMG_0256.JPG

IMG_0254.JPG

IMG_0237.JPG

Hmm... keep stock dash + dash cover and interior refurbish, or gut the interior and make one of these... hmm. Blast, decisions!

I REALLY like the way that looks. Gutting the interior on a semi-daily driver just makes me nervous. Afraid I might get tired of it. We'll see.

How much and of what did you get at IMS?

About how many hours invested?

Willing to send me your cardboard mockup so I can replicate the results, or just build me one? :P j/k

that looks pretty good for not being made with a welder.

I have a couple of questions though.

Would it be flimsy because it was made without a welder?

and

If it's a daily driver, where would you mount the vin number so you will avoid harassment by cops? I ask this because a ford mechanic/instructor told me you can get in to a lot of trouble if you mess with the vin locations.

I got 2 4x8 sheets which was more than enough for no more than 30 bucks. I work pretty fast, but it took me around 4 hours to make. Sorry I tossed the Jig.

Even though the strength of the dash wasn't a priority it turn out to be pretty firm. The main thing for me was weight, simplicity, and access to the gauges. The car is my weekend/track car so i'm not too worried about it.

Umm, about the VIN thing, you could mount it anywhere on top of the dash, But that would be the least of my worries with a loud exhaust, lowered, no speedo, etc.

Nice job, It really cleans up the interior and the bolts look trick.That said, you might want to finish off the raw edge on the top pc. with either a hem ( take it to a sheetmetal shop and have them bend under a 1/4-1/2 inch hem ) or a rubber trim channel. I know you'll be using a harness but your hands could contact that edge in a crash and a knuckle punch straight on would go right thru a driving glove.I'd like to see more pics of the car.

Okay I'll be the newb of the day...Can you explain why? Just can't think of a good reason to me....

So that you don't get damaged as severely when your head hits it. I was in a pretty bad wreck in my first Z where I was rearended by a car doing about 50 and then pushed into oncoming traffic where I hit a car doing about 30 head on. My wife was sitting in the passenger seat and she put a dent in the dash with her forehead while wearing a seatbelt.

So that you don't get damaged as severely when your head hits it. I was in a pretty bad wreck in my first Z where I was rearended by a car doing about 50 and then pushed into oncoming traffic where I hit a car doing about 30 head on. My wife was sitting in the passenger seat and she put a dent in the dash with her forehead while wearing a seatbelt.

Not to threadjack...but if you were to have harness' do you have this same problem? Basically what about it being a track only car makes it safer than being a DD car? Taking a hit at 50mph on the street is the same as taking a hit on at 50mph on a track. Is it the extra assumed equip for being a track car that makes it safer? Just trying to figure out the differentiating factor, I understand your point though Jon.

Thanks,

Tyson

Thanks for your compliments and also your concerns of my saftey.

I made the top overhang 1/2'' because it just looked more " classic " to me. I'm still considering on just slicing a peice of rubber tube in half and covering the edge but I dont know yet.

I'll always have a 5- point harness on so I'm not worried about smacking my head on it, and plus i'll have a helmet on at the track.

Kevlar gloves? haha