Then this happened.
Someone old lady pulled out in front of me in a 60mph limit, I had no chance of stopping in time. Then she claimed it was my fault later on, I didn't want to loose my no claims and wanted the car repaired properly so I took her to court and Won of course, but it took over a year since the accident.
Its not that bad but still is about £10,000 of damage, the airdam, bumper, bonnet, headlight bucket, headlight case, headlight, headlight cover, wing, indicator front, indicator side, grill, diffuser plate and two wheels where they touched the kerb are all damaged, as is part of the inner panel meaning the engine will have to be removed to straighten and repair.
So, the car hasn't been on the road in over a year, between breaking my fibula and tibia wakeboarding to getting my first house and my Job commitments I just haven't had time.
In good news however I bought my first house, and it has the all important triple garage, so I now have somewhere to store and work on my cars. That was the main reason for going with this house tbh, petrol head prioritys.
The garage isn't much inside at the moment, but I have big plans for it, once the Datsun is sorted again it will be my next project before I can start another car project. Plan to extend the two right side bays longer to allow room for cabinets and benches with room to work on a car all round while it is on a scissor lift which will be recessed into the floor. Walls will be painted, floor will be tiled, insulation added to the roof, the two left bays will get a loft for storage and I'll fit flat led lighting panels recessed into the ceiling throughout.
Got most of the parts needed to fix the Datsun now, I decided I would try and cut some weight
So I got Marugen Shoukai FRP wings, amazing quality and only weigh 2.15kg each.
I wanted a carbon fibre Bonnet, but nearly all available are actually fibreglass with a cosmetic skin of carbon. I wanted full dry carbon. Only two options I could see were Topstage Composites and Restored.JP. I went for the restored one, it weighs 5.7kg.
Inside will stay carbon, topside will be body colour.
Skillard full length grill
I decided recently that I would go all out, so the whole car is going back to bare metal, only rust is a few spots in the floor plans, this will be repaired along with some more seam welding in the rear, some minor mods in the engine bay and I will be extending the frame rails to join the rear sub-frame. Currently trying to decide if I want to add a half cage or not.
Stripping in progress. The sound deadening was a pain to remove, even with dry ice.
I plan to re make the interior wiring while building her up again. Work should be commencing when I am on leave in July. So can't wait to drive her again.
My sump needs better baffling and the flange isn't flat so I plan to either start from scratch or cut off the flange and re make the current one with a new flange, wings and an improved trap door setup. This will be done while the engine is out the car for the body work.
Got some RB26 flanges ready to go.