HybridZ

CV half-shaft swaps in 2014 any less expensive alternatives?

gvincent

I have been hoarding my 300ZXT half-shafts that came with my 88 R200CLSD in hopes of someday swapping out the U-Joint half-shafts in my V8 Powered and lowered 76 280Z. To cover all bases I also acquired a set of 280ZXT half-shafts.

I started to research this as I was intending to do this swap but have not read or followed since the last time I researched this in 2007.

I thought all I needed to buy would be a set of companion flange adaptors.

Fast forward to 2014 I start reading as many posts as I can and discover all the posts about binding and needing custom shorter axles.

MY question is there has to be a less expensive solution that is not going to cost over $700 for axles and flanges?

I see the Flanges have doubled in price to $400+ and shorter axles are around that also!!

I am glad I waited so I didn't kill myself with binding axles by just buying the flanges back in 2007 and doing the swap but I  simply can't afford $800 to do a CV swap even $500 would be a stretch but doable I guess

I know MM is no longer (Ross RIP we miss you) and Wolf Creek and Checkered Flag are the costly alternatives

I Know J Mortenson stopped his Axle deals and that Joe Siam (Checkered flag) is trying to get MM going again but not getting any help from Frank, Ross's Dad

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/103391-z31-axle-swap-r200-clsd-m2-differentials/

Are there less expensive companion flanges out there?? Come on now they really don't need to cost $400 do they?

I guess I keep babying and nursing my U-Joint half-shafts for now…Anybody know the Zerc fitting size for the Half-shafts

I too have been stressing over finding a way to do CV axles for a reasonable price. Maybe I'm crazy but it seems dumb to me that the most expensive aspect of my build would be the axles. 300 dollar short nose r200, 300 dollars worth of parts from TTT to make it fit. 400 dollar drive shaft and 1000 dollars in axles??? 

There just has be a better way.

Joe Siam (Checkered flag) is trying to get MM going again but not getting any help from Frank, Ross's Dad

This guy Joe is just trying to make some money and he didn't get the deal he wanted.  Then he took the MM site name, and is using the designs from MM's suppliers.  His remarks on the MM web site about the discussion are pointless and shouldn't really be there.  Irrelevant to your purpose anyway.

Why don't you design a thinner adapter, offset more to the wheel side so that you can use the stock axles.  Indications are that the axles are just just a small fraction of an inch too long when used with the MM design.  The MM design looks kind of thick and may take up more axle space than necessary.

Almost forgot about this old adapter that cygnusx1 worked up.  It's for the 3x2 hole 280ZXT axles.  There used to be a complete thread on it but it got disappeared somehow.  All that's left is the print, with dimensions.  http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/files/file/3-cv-adapter-print/

Seems like something similar could be worked up for the 4x1 axles, but you'd have to determine how much less room you have with the 300ZXT axles.

Then there's the comfort level of adding an extra interface.  In theory, it's just another set of nuts and bolts clamping things together, but still... 

Edited by NewZed

I'm currently leaning towards splurging for the Wolf Creek setup. I generally try to keep things as cheap as possible, but after reading countless threads about people having trouble fitting 280/300ZX axles with MM/CF addapters, it seems worthwhile to spend a few hundred more for the tried and true Wolf Creek setup. The biggest hassle seems to be installing the safety wire.

I'm open to ideas though as I have a pair of turbo and non turbo axles collecting dust. 

I'm currently leaning towards splurging for the Wolf Creek setup. I generally try to keep things as cheap as possible, but after reading countless threads about people having trouble fitting 280/300ZX axles with MM/CF addapters, it seems worthwhile to spend a few hundred more for the tried and true Wolf Creek setup. The biggest hassle seems to be installing the safety wire.

That is one of the reasons why I went with the Wolf Creek Racing setup, as well as trying to source a good pair (or pairs) of 300zxt CV axles.  You can only get the 280/300 axles used whereas the Wolf Creek Racing setup comes with brand new axles.

The price Wolf Creek is charging is very fair if you think about it.  The adapters and new CV axles cost $900; MM/Checkered Flag adapters are $400 and then you need to source the axles which can easily run $300 for a pair but they are still used.  You still have to flip the cages and worry about binding.

Well, I know for sure I have only seen the binding issue on 240z/260z car but not on a 280z using the 280zxt axle. Greg I would bolt up what you have when you get some adpaters and run the suspension through its full travel and see what you have. Also contact Cygnusx1 and see if he has any issues since his car is also a 280z. I believe the 240z and later 280z cars have differnet diff locations relative to the body of the car itself - not the MS bar.

If you decide to sell your turbo axles, just let me know, I'm collecting axles and turbo CVs for a possible NO2 addition next year.

I'd love to offer them up, however I'd like to hang on to them until I've got a new setup in hand...and I have a long list of things to do before then!

OK solutions submitted so far:

1. Buy WolfCreek complete kit for:  $900 plus shipping

2. Buy somebodies companion flange adaptors and have Techno Toy rebuild your CV axles with shorter axles :  $480 plus shipping for the rebuilt axles and $$$? for the adaptors.

3. Buy Chequered Flag companion flange adaptors for: $440 for either 300ZXT or 280ZXT 27 spline. and Buy Chequered Flag Joes custom axles for:  $350 a pair.

These axles are not not shown on the website but in this post from 2 months ago?? http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/103391-z31-axle-swap-r200-clsd-m2-differentials/page-2

see post #34 and #36

When totaled up all the above are over $800.00 minimum

Has anybody made the 280ZXT 3x2 adaptor from Cygnusx1 (download from post #3 above)  and is it not as thick as the ones that were/are being made for MM and now Chequered Flag?

Anybody currently running the Cygnusx1 3x2 adaptor and 280ZXT axle combo on a 280Z? 

Has anyone made a thinner and cheaper 4x1 300ZXT adaptor than the $440 option from Chequered Flag

Clive, best way to reach Cygnusx through Hybrid or NYZCC? I think you have a valid point and are onto something there on Diff locations of the 280Z's (R180 VS R200 and 280Z mustache bar in 240/260 body with an R200 upgrade)

I know MM is no longer (Ross RIP we miss you) and Wolf Creek and Checkered Flag are the costly alternatives

I Know J Mortenson stopped his Axle deals and that Joe Siam (Checkered flag) is trying to get MM going again but not getting any help from Frank, Ross's Dad

Joe has short CV shafts like M2 used to make, and stubs and companion flanges. He's a good guy, doing the right thing for the Z community. 

I converted my 240z to 280zxt cv axles last winter following this write up.

http://www.zhome.com/rnt/FordPower/HalfShaft.html

With an R200 already in a 240z all you need is 280zxt cv axles, 280zxt companion flanges, R200 differential front pinion grease seal (75mm O.D. X 40mm I.D.),  2 - 280zx stub axle lock nuts, and 12 new nuts, bolts and washers for the half shaft to companion flange. Overall it was an easy conversion.

I paid $125 for the cv axles, $80 for the companion flanges,  and $12 for the stub axle nuts. I don't remember the cost of the pinion seal or hardware, but it wasn't very much.

I haven't had any binding at all. 

Overall I think this is the cheapest way to do it. I have a mild 327 chevy making about 325 hp, torque unknown, just a fun street car. Haven't had any problems.

Has anyone made a thinner and cheaper 4x1 300ZXT adaptor than the $440 option from Chequered Flag

Clive, best way to reach Cygnusx through Hybrid or NYZCC? I think you have a valid point and are onto something there on Diff locations of the 280Z's (R180 VS R200 and 280Z mustache bar in 240/260 body with an R200 upgrade)

I'd be interested in the differences as well since I have a 78.

Even paying Joe for MM's flanges wouldn't be so bad if axles were easier to deal with. Though I vaguely remember reading somewhere that people were running, I believe, 2 driver side axles because they are different sizes drive to passenger, which prevented any binding. Though I don't know how valid that info is or ever was.

My real issue even past expenses with custom axles is that when they break in the middle of a long and expensive track weekend..then what? If possible I'd rather find a way to make off the shelf work, even if it means flipping cages to get that extra space.

You still have to pay for "re-splining" of the axles.  Or an adapter.  And some of the parts appear to be NLA.  It's a three page thread, could you consolidate the stuff that works in to a new procedure?  I went through that thread a while ago and got to the end with no effective plan.

Also note that any "new" axle you buy aftermarket may have the aftermarket company's own spline count.  They use common parts and build to length and bolt pattern.  So if you don't go new factory, or original equipment junk yard, the spline count matching can kill the project.

I'd be interested in the differences as well since I have a 78.

Even paying Joe for MM's flanges wouldn't be so bad if axles were easier to deal with. Though I vaguely remember reading somewhere that people were running, I believe, 2 driver side axles because they are different sizes drive to passenger, which prevented any binding. Though I don't know how valid that info is or ever was.

My real issue even past expenses with custom axles is that when they break in the middle of a long and expensive track weekend..then what? If possible I'd rather find a way to make off the shelf work, even if it means flipping cages to get that extra space.

You're not going to break Joe's axles. You'd be much more likely to break the CV joints. If you're that worried, you could pack an extra set, but really, there haven't been too many people blowing through CV's.

You still have to pay for "re-splining" of the axles.  Or an adapter.  And some of the parts appear to be NLA.  It's a three page thread, could you consolidate the stuff that works in to a new procedure?  I went through that thread a while ago and got to the end with no effective plan.

Also note that any "new" axle you buy aftermarket may have the aftermarket company's own spline count.  They use common parts and build to length and bolt pattern.  So if you don't go new factory, or original equipment junk yard, the spline count matching can kill the project.

Unless I'm reading the thread wrong, which is possible haha, posts 42, 44 and 45 make it seem like their all the same spline count and it was a simple change of cv ends and a spacer being made.

That being said its doubtful that any company is even still making new axles for a 90-92 pathfinder, I'm sure most are rebuilt by now, though that is something to consider. I just picked up a set of z31 turbo axles, I'll probably pick up a set of pathfinder axles soon to see what they look like and if its as simple as its made out to be.

Unless I'm reading the thread wrong, which is possible haha, posts 42, 44 and 45 make it seem like their all the same spline count and it was a simple change of cv ends and a spacer being made.

That being said its doubtful that any company is even still making new axles for a 90-92 pathfinder, I'm sure most are rebuilt by now, though that is something to consider. I just picked up a set of z31 turbo axles, I'll probably pick up a set of pathfinder axles soon to see what they look like and if its as simple as its made out to be.

Let us know so the only expensive part now is the companion flange adaptor, I am sure the 90-92 Pathfinder axles are not that expensive…hopefully less than the $350 for the Joe axles

I still wish there was a less expensive set of companion flange adaptors. I mean I know Joe is trying to do the Z community good but I can't afford $400 for adaptors

This guy Joe is just trying to make some money and he didn't get the deal he wanted.  Then he took the MM site name, and is using the designs from MM's suppliers.  His remarks on the MM web site about the discussion are pointless and shouldn't really be there.  Irrelevant to your purpose anyway.

Why don't you design a thinner adapter, offset more to the wheel side so that you can use the stock axles.  Indications are that the axles are just just a small fraction of an inch too long when used with the MM design.  The MM design looks kind of thick and may take up more axle space than necessary.

Almost forgot about this old adapter that cygnusx1 worked up.  It's for the 3x2 hole 280ZXT axles.  There used to be a complete thread on it but it got disappeared somehow.  All that's left is the print, with dimensions.  http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/files/file/3-cv-adapter-print/

Seems like something similar could be worked up for the 4x1 axles, but you'd have to determine how much less room you have with the 300ZXT axles.

Then there's the comfort level of adding an extra interface.  In theory, it's just another set of nuts and bolts clamping things together, but still... 

Are there any drawings kicking around for the 300ZXT companion flange adaptor? I searched but couldn't find anything

I have a access to a machinist who owes me a couple of favors…..Hmmmm