HybridZ

Help! What brake options are available for S30 Z cars?

I have 15 inch rims on my car and theres barely any room between my stock brake calipers and the rim. I want to do the swap with the stock rotors, will they fit or will it hit the rim? And the calipers are s12w from an 86-89 toyota 4x4 correct? Thanks, I really dont wanna mess up.

I ran the S12+8 calipers (w/stock solid rotors) under 14x7 wheels.

I had to add a 1/4" spacer between the hub and wheel for clearance.

Bolt on other than that.

I have a set of the S12+8 calipers listed in the forsale section.

Q1: how thick does that hub spacer need to be, 0.5in?

NOTE1: will be used on a 1971 240z with z31 5-lug front hubs with vented rotors in addition to 4x4 s12w calipers. using 6061 flycut to thickness and abrasive water jetted for profile (google this machine.. it uses high pressure water to cut metal parts, rated to cut thru 6in steel (2D only). the secret is ruby/sapphire dust in the water.)

Q2: what to do about hubcentric ring issue? sizes (ID/OD)?

NOTE2: when you have the hub spacer in it blocks the rotor from reaching the surface on the hub that centers it, keeping it back by the "no centering" part. for this you need a ring spacer so that the rotor never becomes "eccentric" and jacks everything up. otherwise i noticed modern motorsports sells this type of ring in their 4x4 package. maybe ross can PM me a price on the hubcentric spacers?

ok some pics. these may also serve the purpose of helping others who are considering this mod to figure out how all this stuff goes together. its really not that hard once you get all the parts together.

hubspacer.jpghub.jpghubgap.jpg

if not then:

http://siick.150m.com/pics/random/hubspacer.jpg

http://siick.150m.com/pics/random/hub.jpg

http://siick.150m.com/pics/random/hubgap.jpg

hubspacer.jpg

...Q2: what to do about hubcentric ring issue? sizes (ID/OD)?

NOTE2: when you have the hub spacer in it blocks the rotor from reaching the surface on the hub that centers it' date=' keeping it back by the "no centering" part. for this you need a ring spacer so that the rotor never becomes "eccentric" and jacks everything up.... [/quote']

Here’s the rotor spacer I designed for the 240Z hub. It features a lip that centers the rotor. This makes it more difficult to make but other spacers I have seen just use the mounting bolts for rotor centering which is not good engineering practice:

http://home.earthlink.net/~zcarfan/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/spacer.jpg

Guest JAMIE T

Nice part! Though I don't need anything like that, it's cool you posted it.

It's funny how this "Brake options" thread became the "Toyota Brake upgrade FAQ". Lots of great information on the solid and vented toyota upgrade. Good job gang!

haha nice drawing steve. i was trying to stay away from the one piece solution to cut down on fab time and material cost. im pretty sure id get jacked trying to make a part that detailed since the first thing they said in my machine shop class was "guys, no car parts." :/ i guess im going to have to think about this some more, and either find a more ghetto solution or buy the MM spacers. i just dont want that damn gap, like you said "not good engineering practice." thanks for not being all proprietary with part dimensions.

oh yeah one more thing. is your spacer for a 240z hub or a NA z31 hub on a 240z spindle? i still have the issue of Q1. i think i read on the forums that for my setup id need a 0.5in spacer, but i cant seem to find it again or confirm. just asking because i notice your drawing shows 0.663in thick.

thanks,

john

FYI. . .

I mounted my S12W calipers (using the stock mounting tabs) and they fit under two of three sets of my 14x7" wheels (using a 1/4" spacer (from pepboys) between the hub and wheel).

There is only a small amount of clearance though.

I could not get access to the thrid set.

http://www.zcarparts.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=PBC06

If i use these rotors I will need to use the s 12 8 calipers from the 85-89 toyota 4x4 and a spacer correct? And were is the best place to get the spacer? If I am wrong please tell me what I need.

Thanks

Using the S12+8 Toyota 4x4 calipers with stock (solid / non-vented) rotors is bolt-on!

No spacer is needed between the hub and the rotor.

However' date=' you might need a spacer between the wheel and the hub.[/b']

I used a (off the shelf) 1/4" spacer from a local parts house to space the wheel out for caliper clearance.

You will need longer front wheel studs if you have to use a spacer.

... is your spacer for a 240z hub or a NA z31 hub on a 240z spindle?... i think i read on the forums that for my setup id need a 0.5in spacer, but i cant seem to find it again or confirm. just asking because i notice your drawing shows 0.663in thick....

My rotor spacer is designed for the 240Z hub and the 1984 Z31 front vented rotor. The dimensions on the drawing are correct as I have installed these spacers on at least a dozen S30's.

If you want to use the 260/280Z hub the rotor spacer can be thinner. I think the difference is 8mm but I am quoting from memory. I need to re-measure my spare hubs to verify.

... i was trying to stay away from the one piece solution to cut down on fab time and material cost.... i guess im going to have to think about this some more, and either find a more ghetto solution...

If you want a cheaper solution then I recommend using the 1985-88 Maxima front rotor with the 280ZX hubs. The Maxima rotor must be machined to fit the ZX hub but this only costs [me] about $25 a rotor. You need to increase the ID of the center opening on the Maxima rotor and drill four holes for the rotor-to-hub mounting bolts. No spacer is needed! The ZX hub fits on the S30 spindle provided you remove the sheet metal backing plate from the strut:

brake_upgrade3.jpg

Sorry about the poor quality photo. It’s all I could find right now.

hey guys everything you are explaining is very clear. sorry about being persistently retarded but.. with a 5 lug z31 hub and vented rotor + s12w calipers, is the spacer thickness 0.5in? 240z spindle, but NOT hub.

thannnks :/

http://www.zcarparts.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=PBC06

If i use these rotors I will need to use the s 12 8 calipers from the 85-89 toyota 4x4 and a spacer correct? And were is the best place to get the spacer? If I am wrong please tell me what I need.

Thanks

for that one u dont need the spacer. it looks just like a normal solid OEM rotor only difference is that it's slotted and drilled. u'll need the 79-85 Toyota 4x4 calipers for that one.

u only need the spacer and the 86-95 4x4 caliper only if ur goin with the THICKER VENTED rotor (regardless if they're slotted or drilled, VENTED being the key word)

ok, you folks are getting seriously confused with the term SPACER here. Let's clarify this so we don't have people complaining about wrong information:

HUB/ROTOR SPACER that is mentioned several times in the FAQ and pictured HERE

set.jpg

goes between the rotor and the hub. It DOES NOT go over the wheel studs. here's what it looks like assembled:

rotor_assembly.jpg

rotor to spacer to hub

WHEEL SPACER: the spacer that sits between the hub and the wheel. Looks like this:

WheelHgr2.JPG

In short, if your wheel hits the caliper, whether it's the S12+8 or S12W, you need either:

a. a WHEEL spacer/adapter to move the wheel out

or

b. A new set of wheels that clears your new setup