HybridZ

R200 & Quaife - OR - R230 VLSD - for 700HP SBC

Guest Mike

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"The Quaife can spin one tire in a straight burn-out... not what I want. "

Excuse me? The quaife works well for drag racing. It is constantly biasing torque. From Quaife's website:

"In drag-race style, straight-line acceleration runs, this results in a close to ideal 50/50 power split to both drive wheels, resulting in essentially twice the grip of an ordinary differential (they don't call open diffs "peglegs" for nothing)."

From my personal experience, it has NEVER "spun one tire" during a launch. Whoever told you that probably doesn't own one. Sounds like sour grapes to me.

FORREST... I've read that the Quaife can spin one tire in about three places on hybridz and a couple of other sites. If that's wrong, then I made a misinformed decision. I'm sure the Power Brute will be just fine for me anyway. I don't need the ultimate best, just excellent.

"The Quaife can spin one tire in a straight burn-out... not what I want. "

Excuse me? The quaife works well for drag racing. It is constantly biasing torque. From Quaife's website:

"In drag-race style, straight-line acceleration runs, this results in a close to ideal 50/50 power split to both drive wheels, resulting in essentially twice the grip of an ordinary differential (they don't call open diffs "peglegs" for nothing)."

From my personal experience, it has NEVER "spun one tire" during a launch. Whoever told you that probably doesn't own one. Sounds like sour grapes to me.

I would think a Quaife would be good in a straight line too. I've heard (and seen with my own eyes) them slip in tight turns at an autox and also long sweepers on the road course, but straight line is the easiest slip to limit. Might slip out of the bleach box at a drag strip if there was really no traction on one or the other wheel.

I agree as well that Quaifes are were its at. They dont spin one tire. I've built a few 450+whp/450+wtq FWD GTI VR6 turbos. They had quaife differentials and wouldn't light up 1 tire. If you nailed it in 3rd on the freeway it would light up both tires, but you can't blame the differential for that.

They are excellent choices for street and drag racing. Look at the Sport FWD class. You have FWD hondas with quaifes running 9.4 @ 160+mph. Crazy fast!

Justin

Like I said, I made my choice by reading lots of posts. The problem is that sometimes people post wrong information. That was the case this time. Again though, I'll be very happy with the Power Brute.

The Quaiffe is a torque biasing unit. If there is no torque load on one wheel, then there is nothing to bias. Hummers use ATB diffs and transfer cases. If they go off road and get one wheel in the air, then they can't move. The owners manual actually says to put on the brake in this case.

Guess the bleach box may cause something like that to happen. Or if you lift an inside wheel on a turn. That is why JohnC says the suspension must be set up properly for the Quaiffe to really shine.

Hard to believe the average smuck like me could go wrong with the Power Brute. I was going to put off an LSD solution till next year, but the current group buy looks too good to pass up. Early Christmas present for me.

LOL... :lmao::beatdeadh:willy_nil

It's always a blast to watch you guys duke it out. Please just don't take anything you say to each other or what I might say personally, okay?:cool:

POP... Yeah, that's what read elsewhere. But I know nothing about diffs so I rely on you guys to steer me in the right direction. My problem all too often is OVERSTEER:D

I seriously doubt I could go "wrong" with either the Power Brute or the Quaife so I'm happy with my decision:wink:

Guest Crispy Chicken
Stay with the R200 and try to find one with a clutch type LSD out of a 87-88 z31 turbo and spend the extra money to have the internal clutch plates adjusted to your liking.

The added weight of the R230 kinda turns me off and the pro and cons have already been discussed.

If you have the money the quaife is a great upgrade for the R200 and it sounds like it will meet your intended use/goals just fine

Ken

How much more does the R230 weight than the R200 ????

• 5 weeks later...

mrt0mjines... I'm keeping my R200 and am updating the carrier to either a Power Brute CLSD or an OBX HLSD. There is a lot of disagreement regarding which direction is best. If you have specific questions, I suggest you PM jmortensen. He's a diff and suspension guru.

I can add some information to this discussion...

VLSD - Good for a street car and an occaisional use track/drag car. They can be very successful in professional road racing but the VLSD units used at that level bear little resemblence to what you or I can buy for under $3,500.

Quaife - Great for a street car and an occaisional use track/drag car. They are also very successful in road racing IF the chassis is setup specifically for it. Swapping form a clutch pack LSD to a Quaife and making no suspension changes guarantees lots of inside wheel spin. Then there's that lifetime warranty thing, but you pay for that in the price of the unit.

Clutch LSD - Good for a street car and an occaisional use track/drag car. Been around forever but will need rebuilding at some point in its life. Can be tuned via ramp angles, preload, clutch type. They can be noisy on the street in tight turns.

Folks who race their 350Zs tend to toss out the factory VLSD in favor of a Quaife or a clutch LSD (Nismo, Kaaz, Cusco). The VLSD works unpredictably as the diff heats up.

I've raced cars with all three diff styles and I prefer the Quaife. It takes some development time to tune the car's suspension to the diff but the results are impressive. I dropped my lap times by 1% when I went from a clutch pack LSD to a Quaife in the Rusty Old Datsun.

Quaife - Great for a street car and an occaisional use track/drag car. They are also very successful in road racing IF the chassis is setup specifically for it. Swapping form a clutch pack LSD to a Quaife and making no suspension changes guarantees lots of inside wheel spin. Then there's that lifetime warranty thing, but you pay for that in the price of the unit.

I've raced cars with all three diff styles and I prefer the Quaife. It takes some development time to tune the car's suspension to the diff but the results are impressive. I dropped my lap times by 1% when I went from a clutch pack LSD to a Quaife in the Rusty Old Datsun.

John... Hey... Would you mind talking a little further about what was required to tune the cars suspension to maximize the effieciency of the quaife? I'd like to hear more.

Originally Posted by Mike viewpost.gif

Thanks KJONES... My current R200 is open. The Quaife sometimes loses traction on one wheel during straight burn-outs, from what I've heard. This isn't a track car and straight take-off traction is what I'm concerned about. I'm probably just going to have a new Power Brute installed and adjusted. What do you think?

Your honor, your honor, I protest. Hear say!

The Quaife is what it is and has a better than average reputation.

Now on the presision gear site, even the company it's self did not rate the Power brute high on the road courses. I just looked and they dont even include the road course in its rating system.

Off Roading

4 of 5

Mud Bogging

4 of 5

Rock Crawling

Towing

4 of 5

Circle Track

4 of 5

Drag Racing

4 of 5

Street to Strip

4 of 5

Rock crawling not so hot either.

Me no rock crawl, me street bully....sometimes.

Wow Mike you shure took a beating for that quote!!:beatdeadh

You first stated that back at post #38.

This quote of mine above shows that I was the first to jump on. Na na nana na.:wink:

The road course ratings are different from the RR site verses the Precision site. The rep at Reider Racing claims that both are in error due to the fact that, as Jon M points out as well, The Power brute is the nismo/nissan multi clutch LSD that has garnered considerable acclaim on road courses around the world.

The Brute will do an awesome job for the average hot rodder.

And thank you sincerely for all the beatings, and the hard work on the Brute Group buy. I have mine, and it's all your fault!!!!:D

Many thanks,

Beatings? What beatings? I was married for fifteen years... I guess I don't even notice anymore;-)

Originally Posted by Mike viewpost.gif

Thanks KJONES... My current R200 is open. The Quaife sometimes loses traction on one wheel during straight burn-outs, from what I've heard. This isn't a track car and straight take-off traction is what I'm concerned about. I'm probably just going to have a new Power Brute installed and adjusted. What do you think?

Wow Mike you shure took a beating for that quote!!:beatdeadh

You first stated that back at post #38.

This quote of mine above shows that I was the first to jump on. Na na nana na.:wink:

The road course ratings are different from the RR site verses the Precision site. The rep at Reider Racing claims that both are in error due to the fact that, as Jon M points out as well, The Power brute is the nismo/nissan multi clutch LSD that has garnered considerable acclaim on road courses around the world.

The Brute will do an awesome job for the average hot rodder.

And thank you sincerely for all the beatings, and the hard work on the Brute Group buy. I have mine, and it's all your fault!!!!:D

Many thanks,

Guest Crispy Chicken

VLSD - Good for a street car and an occaisional use track/drag car. They can be very successful in professional road racing but the VLSD units used at that level bear little resemblence to what you or I can buy for under $3,500.

I wonder how the new Quaife r230 performs compared to stock form.. In all these areas. As I'm thinking about running one. Over all, I like the idea of a few extra pounds that low to the ground in the rear.