HybridZ

How NOT to tow a car

MrFancypants

That's was a pretty good speed for towing with a rope like that. I still don't get exactly what happened to cause the crash though. Looked like the steering wheel locked or something???

Pretty sure it was lack of brain power. :lmao:

Mike

LOL... Good way to learn... That is pure lack of respect and ignorance...

A guy I went to highschool with.... once turned the ignition off in order to make the car backfire(to scare some bystanders)... unfortunately he swerved towards them and then realized the steering locked as he ran right into a $3000 light pole... and totalled his Cavalier...

It took similar lack of respect for what he was doing...

Once when I was very new to driving.. I tried to shut the car off and coast into my parent's driveway... incognito like... As soon as I turned into the driveway I realized the steering wheel had locked... That threw me into a panic and I ended up blowing the horn and waking my dad up... I didn't hit anything though.. It was a good learning experience...

I remember when I was 17 me and my buddy used to like to see how far we could coast our cars. We were in his diesel Rabbit and going down a long hill on the 23 freeway near Moorpark, CA and he turned the car off and pulled the key out of the ignition and put the keys in his pocket. Then I reminded him calmly that he wouldn't be able to steer, and he managed to get the keys back in before we went off the side of the highway. What stupid kids we were!

That didn't seem to be the case in the video though, because they made the turn previous to going off the road. Unless it just didn't quite click in on the right hander and did on the left... if that's the case, they deserved what they got!!!

I've towed cars with towstraps more times than I can count, longest trip was about 100 miles..... There was one time when I towed my buddy's Third gen RX7, and i forgot to mention to him to leave the keys in the "ON" position...... we took a right turn.. the wheel locked and he kept going right, we were going slow, and when he didnt straighten out i stopped and so did he, so it was ok. But yeah, it happens... gotta be careful.

Hey 260POS and Jmortenson. I grew up in Westlake on the island and graduated from Agoura HS in 1972!!!

I can tell some stories about old Agoura road, Encinal Canyon, Decker Canyon

and all the great canyon racing we did back in the late 60's early 70"s when US101 was only 2 lanes in each direction from Malibu Canyon road at the end of the Calabasaa down grade all the way to Thousand Oaks Blvd/county line.

old Agoura road ran all the way along side the freeway at that time.

Racing behind the lake in Westlake before there where houses there.

Heck half the island was not even built. There was nothing behind Agoura HS and Lindero Canyon road just dead ended about a 1/2 mile past the school turn off.

This was our 1/4 mile dragstrip!

I have now lived south of Boston MA for 25 years.

I have ton's of racing stories from that era, and went though a few of my 9 lives as well

Always a Kid!

Greg

My family moved to Agoura when I was 1 year old in 76. I graduated from Agoura High in '92! Kanan was flanked by pastures with cows grazing, and TO Blvd stopped at Reyes Adobe I think. Used to have to shop for groceries at Whizins when I was really little. Used to ride dirt bikes up past Oak Park High (probably didn't exist when you were there Greg) and 4x4 with the family back in the North Ranch area. A friend of mine has a picture of him and his dad walking in a field and in that spot and it's now right dead center of Kanan Road. I had my own experiences with my favorite canyon roads, which were Decker, Latigo, and Stunt Rd. I had a special affinity for Decker, which was right in your backyard Greg. I guess they went through and repaved it recently, but I liked it when the road was all chewed up. That is one hell of a stretch of asphalt... :D

Jon, No Oak Park did not exist, In fact Agoura high was only 4 or 5 years old when I was there. It was the only high school for all of Las Virginnes County,

Bussed kids from as far as Liberty Canyon in Woodland Hills, Hidden Hills, Malibu Lake, Calabasas, Lake Lindero etc. in fact everything up to the county line/Westlake Blvd.

My best frien was a guy named Jon Kern, his dad was the Senior Film editor/Producer for paramount studios and did the Odd Couple, Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley etc. We would sneak his fathers 65 Corvette out and run it through the canyons. We both had speed runs from the Agoura HS parking lot to Zuma beach #7 in 17 minutes flat!, I had a 68 Camaro SS 396 lowered with 14" in the rear and 12" in the front, The motor was built by Ed Pink in Van Nuys (Pink Elephant Heads) Offy Hi rise, Twin 750DP etc. We would race all the TO guys on Lindero road and on Weds night head down to the Valley and cruise Van Nuys Blvd and hook up and race behind Westinghouse for $30 or just for fun, My friend had a 67 6 cylinder body Nova with a high screaming 327 that was a real sleeper until you looked inside and it was all aluminum and tubbed wicked light. My girl friend at the time was Susan Webb, her brother was Jimmy Webb the song writter and performer, he had a Real 427 AC Cobra in pearl white, I used to meet him on PCH up near county line after coming out of Decker canyon early at sunrise and we would run PCH together at some real scary speeds in and out of the lifting fog! it was crazy!

Yeah Decker was my favorite too, lock to lock some of those turns, 1000' ft drop, exciting! Encinal you could go faster and drift through the turns much faster and smoother though, Decker made you work it hard.

Parents divorced and sold the custom house on the Island around 1980,

My family is still out there and I will be attending the 35th reunion this year!

Lots of stories, Lots of fun!

one time at band camp .....................

when i was in high school in casper wyoming, i was on the varsity cross country ski team. the guy that had the car to get us up the mountain decided to try and coast down the mountain without the engine on. numerous switchbacks ect. probably 30 min. of coasting as we pulled into the parking lot. i do not remember how many lights we ran, but it was alot. that was one time, another was while the car was moving one passenger got out and got into the vw beetle that was right behiond us. 30 mph on snowy mountain roads. yes, we burned cow chips in the summer and probably ate paint chips. but who cares now right? i have offspring.