HybridZ

Z32 trans-to-L6 block, Version 2.

240hoke

I'm posting this in ALL 3 threads regarding the Z32 transmission swap

We can still use the FACTORY speedometer with the Z32/RB25 5-speed transmission swap!!

Mike Rowe was able to find a mechanical speedometer pinion assembly (Nissan part number 32702-02G17) that came from a Nissan Hardbody (D21) truck... with the manufacture years (1986.5-1994)

This replaces the electric speedometer output.. and converts it to a mechanical speedometer output!!

Incredibly.. the speedometer cable bolts right up to the new pinion assembly and it works!!

DSC07260.JPG

I think it cost me around $46 from Nissan =)

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 7 months later...

Mazworx seems to be the only place that still sells them

I just called them (1-407-281-1223) and the "KIT" sells for $670 shipped and comes with adapter, hardware, short shifter and shortened shifter bracket.

PS It really sucks that we can on send PM's every 30 minutes...Bad times!!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hey all

I had posted this on the other thread but thought I would post it here as well:

Ok all

I have an early mazworks adapter that I bought from a fellow hybrizer... PLEASE PROVIDE SOME FEEDBACK ON THESE FINDINGS!

The adapter had 2 dowl pins which should have lined up with existing holes in the bellhousing but they do not - My tranny is from a 93 300zx NA from what I remember...

After removing the dowl pins we were able to get the bolt patterns to match up but the hardware included leaves space which does not instill much confidence for alignment. I have included pictures... I have purchased shouldered bolts to remedy the situation but would love to get some feedback on correct dowl pin placement and if anyone else has experienced these issues.

Also, just a bit of a pet peeve of mine - all the hardware on the mazworks setup is standard - while the whole rest of the car is metric - wish they'd have drilled and tapped it with metric threads and included metric hardware instead...

I'd imagine if anyone else had to pull the dowl pins and tried to just bolt it together without replacing the bolts that they may have some unexplained clutch chatter... I've included a picture of the mcmaster bolts that hopefully will solve the problem...

I'd actually like to make some adapters that remedy all of these little "gotcha's" so I'd like to talk more about others experiences...

The first two photo's show the threaded hole on the adapter and the larger hole the bolts go through on the tranny - you can see the large difference in diameter...

photo4.jpg

photo5.jpg

Here you can see where we had to remove the 2 dowl pins out of the adapter to get it to line up...

photo2.jpg

An example of how much play there is in one of the holes (there is less in others) - but the lack of a shouldered bolt really causes some concern here due to the threads acting as a "file" inside the tranny side (bellhousing)...

photo.jpg

Here you can see the smaller holes with better clearance but still enough to cause concern... Again absent of the shouldered bolt which better aligns the two parts there could be enough "play" to cause some unwanted clutch chatter and other issues.

photo3.jpg

McMAster bolts that we bought to remedy the clearance issues... slight reaming was required - we can only use these in 3 or 4 of the holes which should center everything and feel it will be enough to fix the problem. We'll use bolts with shoulders everywhere...

photo6.jpg

What about getting some copper tubing and using it as a bushing of sorts as needed? You could cut it lengthwise and roll it into any thickness or diameter needed. Just a thought (in case you somehow missed it; I haven't read "the other thread")

Cooper and Aluminum dont work very well together.. causes weird corrosion. You can get a grease at your local electrical supply house to prevent this

ohhhhhhh yeah...... I knew that. I really intended any ol' metal bushing; copper just springs to mind because it (or brass or bronze) is most commonly used (when no metallurgical issues arise, obviously.)

• 1 month later...

updates on the z33 trans?

seeing that the z32 turbo trans is the same as the z32 na trans.... what would be the point in the turbo trans? why did they make one different? is there anything different?

also is the z33 trans any stronger than the z32 or is it just the extra gear (6 speed vs 5 speed) that is the difference here?

i really do hope you are still making these kits. i am planning on a l28et stroked to a 3.1 with the diesel crank to help push more air through a gt35r garret turbo to a fairly large fmic.

vega-

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm posting this in ALL 3 threads regarding the Z32 transmission swap

We can still use the FACTORY speedometer with the Z32/RB25 5-speed transmission swap!!

Mike Rowe was able to find a mechanical speedometer pinion assembly (Nissan part number 32702-02G17) that came from a Nissan Hardbody (D21) truck... with the manufacture years (1986.5-1994)

This replaces the electric speedometer output.. and converts it to a mechanical speedometer output!!

Incredibly.. the speedometer cable bolts right up to the new pinion assembly and it works!!

DSC07260.JPG

I think it cost me around $46 from Nissan =)

Do you know with what engine and tranny that pinion assembly came?

Here in Finland it's not that same part in those years trucks.

Would need one because I'm putting rb25 tranny in my Z.

• 2 months later...

Gorgeous adapter but why such thick alum? We've made a few adapters for various applications the most recent being RB motor to KA tranny and we used 10mm steel cnc machined without any bell housing machining.

Did you machine the bell housing cus of the thickness of the adapter or was it other reasons? Reason I ask is Nissan bell housings are prone to cracking and are weak enough I would never consider any form of machining on them unless absolutely needed.

• 3 months later...