HybridZ

New CV Joint, Diff conversion, brake swap in the Works!

Guest fastassz

guys, love the work ur doing 4 the z. looks great, but if u made a set-up 4 the 280zx models that would a dream come true. I got a heavily modified l28 powered zx with stock suspension. Let me know if u can help me out

... Wheels are wider, abundant and cheap for the Mustang but it has a larger bore (70MM) and the offset is 20-45 MM. I prefer the wheel to be both hub centric and wheel centric rather than rely on lugs alone. Is there such a wheel spacer available?

Bowtiez, we've done wheelcentric wheel spacers in both slip and bolt on versions for some time to customers spec's. Typically ship in 7-10 days from purchase date. With todays common larger diameter wheels/heavier wheel/tire combo's the extra protruding lip's help maintain ideal balance. Drop us an email if you'd like more info. I'm sure others specializing in wheel adaptors do the same. Enjoy all your wheel options, always fun to get back some choices!

Bowtiez, we've done wheelcentric wheel spacers in both slip and bolt on versions for some time to customers spec's. Typically ship in 7-10 days from purchase date. With todays common larger diameter wheels/heavier wheel/tire combo's the extra protruding lip's help maintain ideal balance. Drop us an email if you'd like more info. I'm sure others specializing in wheel adaptors do the same. Enjoy all your wheel options, always fun to get back some choices!

Thanks, nice to know. I will not know the necessary spacing until I get the conversion put together. I would like to put some 275 -315 tires in the rear. Is there anyway to safely (and race legal) adapt 4 lug to five lug in the front of the 260Z8? I have a Wilwood Brake Conversion and it will cost about $550 to replace the hubs and rotors.

• 3 weeks later...
Danny (BowtieZ) is in the process of putting this under is car as I write this. I believe he is waiting for the shortened axles so that it can all be assembled.

Yes, I am also waiting for an R230 front differential mount to be cut. I found a R230 drive shaft coupler to adapt to a 1310 Ujointed drive shaft. I decided not to use the weaker 2000 Q45 R200 29 Spline even after Gabe sent me S14 bolt in hubs to make his conversion work. Only the 90-96 Q45s should be used and they are not R230s as some people claim, they are shortnosed R200s. They look similar but the R230 will give you a hernia. Right now, I am installing a fuel cell and taking pictures as I go.

• 2 weeks later...

I received the backing plates from Techno Toy Tuning about three weeks ago. All along, I had planned on making up some custom brake caliper brackets for them so I could utilize the JSK hats and Wilwood calipers that I already had. I felt they would be superior to the stock Z32 pieces plus, I had already purchased them. First off, let me state up front that the Techno Toy parts are super quality items. Super beefy with high quality looks. The first thing I realized was that the Wilwood caliper wouldn't fit without modifying the Techno Toy piece. I winced a bit as I trimmed off one of the existing caliper mounting ears on each piece so the Wilwood caliper could slide over the rotor and fit properly in place (see photo 001).

After positioning the Wilwood caliper where it needed to be, I did a whole bunch of measuring and then made a drawing of what I needed. I took the drawing to a machinist buddy of mine and he manufactured me a set of caliper brackets (see photo 002).

After getting the proper fastening hardware, I assembled everything and it all went together without a hitch and lined up perfectly (see photo 003).

Mike Mileski

Tucson, AZ

001_thumb.JPG

002_thumb.JPG

003_thumb.JPG

• 1 month later...
Anyone have this R230 kit fully installed? I'm pretty interested. Just want to see how people are doing.

Justin

Gabriel and Rick have been working closely with me on the conversion. The unit is loosely installed now. Encountered several clearance problems due to the size of the R230. I cut a 1 X 9 inch section of the frame member in front of the spare tire well. Boxed and welded that section using a 8.5 x 2.5 x 1.5 piece of 14 guage tubing between the reinforcing brackets for the TL hangers plus a couple of three inch pieces of 1 inch angle iron to finish the corners. Gabe sent me a new mustache bar with the holes drilled 3/4 inch up from the normal Q45 set up. This combination gave me clearance on the driver side for the 6 star output shaft. I still ended up cutting a 2 x 1/2 inch out of the passenger side TL contact point and reinforcing with a small plate. The rear TL hanger crossover bar will not clear the fins of the R230. The interference strip was cut out. I used two 3inch pieces of 1 x 1 tubing welded to each corner of the original crossover and then a 17.5 inch piece of 1 inch angle across welded. I bolted throught the angle and the tubing through the hangers. That is tough tough material. I am working on connecting the parking brakes and disc brakes tomorrow. The 90TT parking brake adjustment bolt will screw into the 74 adjustment bracket. Go figure. I will try to get pictures and details posted mid May. I am trying to get ready for a grudge match with a bad assed twin turbo at Ozark Intl in Missouri.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone completed this swap yet?I have been watching this forum and I'm on the fence about going this route or solid axle swap.I want to keep my 240 IRS as long as I can. Thanks John C

Has anyone completed this swap yet?I have been watching this forum and I'm on the fence about going this route or solid axle swap.I want to keep my 240 IRS as long as I can. Thanks John C

I was in your position. I checked with Factory Five about their Cobra IRS. Also discussed this with Currie. Bottom line, is that either would require a backhalf job and people around here have no experience with Datsuns.

My Techno Toy R230 swap lacks figuring out how to connect the 1990 TT parking brake and installing the new fuel cell. I used the original 260Z drum brake drum line bent to clear the CV joint and connect to the stock brake line bracket drilled out and bolted to the Techno Toy top strut bolt. A stainless steel flex line runs to that from the stock 260Z location. The big rear sway bar fits better than with the old long nosed R200. Surprisingly, one big challenge has been to find non custom wheels with RWD backspacing with 4.5 to 5 inches of backspacing in a 5 X 4.5 pattern. M/T, Cragar and American make a few basically for truck use. I ended up with a 9.5 X 17 Nissan Gram Lite wheel with 22 MM offset or about 6 inches of backspacing and a Techno Toy 1.25 bolt on bolt wheel spacer to center and allow use of 275:40:17 M/T Drag Radials. A little fend mod under the ZG flares will still be necessary to clear. I will try to post picture in photobucket when I have a chance. http://photobucket.com/images/Bye%20Bye%20Z06/

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, I'm new to the site and was referred from Zeroyon and MattK to find some support for my 280ZX buildup. I agree I am also interested in any good aftermarket suspension, diff, and brake swaps. I'm also in a bit of a bind with the 2+2 body but don't really think there is much difference from a 2 seater suspension except for spring rates? Anyways, I am looking for big brake swap parts, suspension parts, and rear stub and diff upgrades. On top of all that also looking for some good 16" or 17" lightweight aftermarket rims that will fit without spacers. I know you all have some good info on this stuff and would really really appreciate it. I will also be posting up some parts I have available from the engine swap.

Hi all, I'm new to the site and was referred from Zeroyon and MattK to find some support for my 280ZX buildup. I agree I am also interested in any good aftermarket suspension, diff, and brake swaps. I'm also in a bit of a bind with the 2+2 body but don't really think there is much difference from a 2 seater suspension except for spring rates? Anyways, I am looking for big brake swap parts, suspension parts, and rear stub and diff upgrades. On top of all that also looking for some good 16" or 17" lightweight aftermarket rims that will fit without spacers. I know you all have some good info on this stuff and would really really appreciate it. I will also be posting up some parts I have available from the engine swap.

Search and you shall be set free my brother!

CZ

• 2 weeks later...

Update: Except for attaching the parking brake cables, Gabe's R230 conversion is finally finished. I am going to purge the new fuel system and burn some rubber tomorrow with some old 350Z rims with Bridgestone Tires. I ended up using Gabe's 1 inch 5 lug adapter to a pair of 9.5 X 17 Gram Light wheels and 275:40 M/T Drag Radials.

Check photobucket later: http://s273.photobucket.com/albums/jj232/Bowtie350V8/

Update: Except for attaching the parking brake cables, Gabe's R230 conversion is finally finished. I am going to purge the new fuel system and burn some rubber tomorrow with some old 350Z rims with Bridgestone Tires. I ended up using Gabe's 1 inch 5 lug adapter to a pair of 9.5 X 17 Gram Light wheels and 275:40 M/T Drag Radials.

Check photobucket later: http://s273.photobucket.com/albums/jj232/Bowtie350V8/

Awesome news!! I've been waiting for this moment. Every since this project was first unveiled, I've wanted to use this set up, especially since I already have a Z32TT complete rear sub frame...

Please... post tons of pictures!!! :2thumbs: