HybridZ

New CV Joint, Diff conversion, brake swap in the Works!

Guest Grenade300

Hey Speeder, would you mind posting your experiences and some pics with this swap when you do it. I would love to see the install process as you do it.

Thanks,

Scott

I wonder, has any consideration gone into the front end to MATCH the rear. In other words, the rear could have 5 lug hubs and an adjustable strut housing, but the fronts will maintain a 4 lug hub and non adjustable strut housing. For those of us that are completing a rotissiere restoration and overlooking nothing, it would be great to have some uniformity.

Any thoughts Gabriel? Is there a plan in the works?

Tyson

There's atleast two aftermarket 5 lug fronts, Z31 5 lug fronts and many coil over options.

I wonder, has any consideration gone into the front end to MATCH the rear. In other words, the rear could have 5 lug hubs and an adjustable strut housing, but the fronts will maintain a 4 lug hub and non adjustable strut housing. For those of us that are completing a rotissiere restoration and overlooking nothing, it would be great to have some uniformity.

Any thoughts Gabriel? Is there a plan in the works?

Tyson

Sorry guys! Business has been BUSY lately with our regular lineup and it's really backburnered all our new and upcoming products.

There are a lot of questions here on this thread that I need to take the time to answer, and will try to get to that soon.

Other than the R230 rear end setup, we have everything else sorted and sure it will all bolt up perfectly (disc brakes and all). The R230 rear will work as well, but since some people want to notch the back end of the car, and others don't we'll be providing mustache bars custom machined to the customers specs. You tell us what you want on the mustache bar, we'll make it that way (we have the mustache bars all here done, except for the mounting holes for the diff).

All parts except the dogbone will be powdercoated gunmetal grey with a clearcoat of powdercoating over the top. If you would like to get parts done a different color, we can do that as well for an additional cost (if we can squeeze it in to another batch of our powdercoating, it wouldn't cost anything, we often do red powdercoating, but anything else would be some extra $$)

The axle prices below include us dissassembling your donor CV's and axles and installing them on our new axles.

You are welcome to purchase parts individually or completely.

Prices:

Backing Plates $550

Moustache bar $250

Lower control Drop mounts with dogbone $300

Dogbone on it’s own $70

Front Diff Mount $150

Axles $480

Struts prepped for coilovers $240

Coilovers for rear strut casings $199

Shocks for rear strut casings $240

Weld on rear camber plates $180

Please contact us directly at ggtyler@yahoo.com or drop us a call at 530-626-7334

We are here normal business hours Monday through Friday Pacific Standard Time.

So from this list mandatory items for somone that has a diff and axles and wants to do it as cheap as possible It looks like these are the itmes required.....

Moustache bar $250

Backing Plates $550

Front Diff Mount $150

Struts prepped for coilovers $240

Coilovers for rear strut casings $199

Shocks for rear strut casings $240

For a total of 1630. plus shipping. Plus axles, rotors, calipers, diff, and driveshaft.

So for less then 2500 a person could do this swap and have a damn near bullet proof rear end!!!! (seeing ZGADS results) thats a deal

DID i miss anything?

I did discuss this with Technotoy and the answer is yes! A whole world of rear brake upgrades (all that fit Z32 and 240SX) will be available with this setup.

ADD the GTR brakes to that list which are an upgrade to the Z32 rear brakes.

Bump. Sorry, I couldn't figure out any other way to 'Subscribe' to this thread without posting...something.

At the top of the threads there is a button that says Thread Tools. Click on that and then choose Subscribe to thread.

• 3 weeks later...

have you received your kit by now?

Nope- Anxiously awaiting. Gabriel says that it is waiting for my moustache bar to be machined - My diff mounting holes are non-standard.

I'll post when it gets here.

Nope- Anxiously awaiting. Gabriel says that it is waiting for my moustache bar to be machined - My diff mounting holes are non-standard.

I'll post when it gets here.

I can't seem to get hold of Gabriel so ............. I am using the JTR heavy duty differential connectior (?) to a 1310 Chevy U Joint. I do not know what will be necessary to hook up the R230. Is it a 4 bolt set up like the R200?

I am not familiar with the R230. What is the best and strongest R230 LSD to buy? Are there different lengths?

I am running a Ground Control coilover set up with Tokico adjustable struts I bought from techno toy. Will these parts work with the conversion?

This looks like a better option than Factory Five's 8.8 IRS or Heidt's corvette style IRS.

I can't seem to get hold of Gabriel so ............. I am using the JTR heavy duty differential connectior (?) to a 1310 Chevy U Joint. I do not know what will be necessary to hook up the R230. Is it a 4 bolt set up like the R200?

I am not familiar with the R230. What is the best and strongest R230 LSD to buy? Are there different lengths?

I am running a Ground Control coilover set up with Tokico adjustable struts I bought from techno toy. Will these parts work with the conversion?

This looks like a better option than Factory Five's 8.8 IRS or Heidt's corvette style IRS.

I talked to Gabriel. Apparently, I have a 280Z long nosed R200 which was a direct replacement for my original R180 in my 260Z. Seems I will need to change to a Q45 or 300ZX to use his conversion or an R230 TT which is rare. :?

Do the Q45 swap. Tons of info here, readily available, and because they are gaining in popularity, there will be more install kits in the near future.

my .02 FWIW

OK, I just purchased a complete differential rear assembly locally from a 2000 Infinity Q45. They gave me the whole subframe fully assembled for $400 but cut the emergency brake cables. I am not sure of the gear ratio or if it is an LSD yet. Gabriel is going to ship me the parts I need to complete the conversion. For a change, I am planning on taking digital pictures throughout the process.

FYI EBAY has an R230 TT for sale. I passed on that.

I have an extra set of 2003 350Z stock wheels and tires but the back spacing is in question. Techno Toys also sells adapters but I am not sure they are legal for road racing.

I can't believe I missed this update!!!!

I was driving my Z today (65 in NYC today!!) and I was thinking, I really need to make another Q45 mount because I screwed this one up. The mount looks great and I will be ordering one tomorrow.

Clive

I did this so that existing input/ output flanges would match available driveshaft/CV bolt patterns. The Armada uses a different (from the Z32) inner CV flange, and I wanted to use the Z32 CVs. Not sure about the input flange...but I think the Armada's is different also.

I talked to Rick, Technotoy's machinist today, and the estimate for my stuff is 2-3 weeks. I'm really in no big hurry as the Buick motor is still in machine shop stasis, and meanwhile I've got lots to do in my spare time.

Speeder, Why did you switch the input and output flanges on the Armada Diff?

Justin