HybridZ

Should I Buy in the Netherlands

Hello fellow Z enthousiasts!

I am new here, but I did browse the forum for some time now. I also discovered I maybe posted this thread in the wrong area, so now I also started this topic. :icon46:

I really want to make a 240-260Z with a RB25DET engine in it, but because I live in the Netherlands, everything is a bit more expensive and a Datsun is really hard to come by.

Now there is one for sale for say 600 euros, that roughly said a 800 dollars. The car has rust, but hey, what can you expect in a place like here:rolleyesg The owner also have a lot of extra parts, he says I also get a complete datsun in spare parts except for the bodywork. He only has 2 new front fenders with it.

But I need some advice from you guys. Is it a good choice to start with this car or not and where do I need to look for, I couldn't find a Buying guide for a 260z, so any advice is welcome.

Here are the pics.

P1020270.jpg

P1020271.jpg

P1020272.jpg

P1020280.jpg

What do you guys say, and bare in mind that I do not live in the U.S. :icon46:

yep that's a typical dutch Z. Rust, rust, rust but a perfect dash. Where are you located. I might have some stuff for you.

xander

I live in Winkel, that's between Schagen and Alkmaar.:mrgreen: And what kind of stuff are you talking about?

I also got a new email from the owner and he says that ther is a complete car extra in parts, so fenders, doors, another dashbord, hood etc etc. So that doesn't sounds to bad.. Maybe I can still buy the car and then rip it completely and then see if its still worth the effort of rebuilding it or keep the parts for spare.

Better to buy something you can inspect first hand then to risk a long distance purchase. 600 Euros is not bad for two complete 240Zs if they are as scarce as you say. Buy it. If it doesn't work out, you can make your money back by selling parts to Frank and Zander.

Frank has a 77 280Z complete and rostfroi (oooh, am I learning, or what?) sitting in my back yard waiting for shipment, as well as his bud Ad having a 70 (four digit VIN) waiting for the same shipping container.

The Netherlands has gotten at least 7 Unrusted S30 Chassis, and one S130 Chassis in the past two years. Most of them either from my back yard (4)! The comment after acid dipping was 'this looks like a 3 year old BMW Chassis!'

I agree, look in person. Failing having a connection to ship you a car from abroad (they do come in tax free due to age...) you have to settle for what you can get. "I've seen worse!"

You can always hire someone like Tony D to shop for a California 240Z. He works for free parts and old used mini-bikes. He's learned not to come around my shop because he always leaves with something and I get just a little more cash.

Maybe I wasn't clear enough I see

We know perfectly well that you are from Holland. Wat you probably don't know (couldn't know) is that a while ago Tony, me, and Frank (to some extend, if he wasn't bussy admiring his ZXR) loaded 6.5 Z's in a big cargo container. This container was shipped to the netherlands. There where 5.5 S30 in there destined for Ad Verkuijlen at VA-Motorsport Engineering. He makes really nice race cars with these chassis. And Frank bought himself a ZXR. That car was like new.

PS: Tony, it's Roestvrij not rostfroi. but you are getting there. Be sure to plan an evening for dinner at my house when you are here next time OK.

Flatline,

I bought my car in Switzerland for MUCH more than the 260Z's owner is asking (in fact it was 3000€ for a mostly rust-free car), so this one is a bargain, especially if you compare it to most European Datsun prices. If I were you, I'd take it RIGHT now. Euro-spec 240, 260 and 280Zs are RARE, and this one looks like a perfect starting point for a restomod project. I went through the same searching process, and I know what it means to decide if the car is worth the money... Luckily, the owner was honest, and the car was in very good shape. So, good luck with "your" Z!

Regards,

Tony.

Flatline - I say go for it! You are getting alot of stuff for only $800 and it sounds like the owner is being straightforward to deal with, if he is including all the extra parts. If you have never Mig welded, here is your perfect opportunity to learn and you can take your time and do things right!

I lived in the UK and these cars are rare birds over there too, but incredible admired and scooped up quickly.

Good luck and hope you go for it.

Regards - Yasin

That looks like a fairly complete car... But unless you are a good welder and have LOTS of patience, be prepared to spend SEVERAL thousand Euros (LOTS of money!) on welding, fabrication and metal repair. If it were here in the States and I were looking at it for a client. I would estimate AT LEAST $$5000 to $7500 in rust repair. Then you have to prime and paint for AT LEAST another $3500. Then comes the rest of the car (engine, transmission, suspension, interior, wheels, tires, chrome, brakes, hvac, etc.). Do do it right (a nice driver/near show quality, but NOT Concourse), you will spend $18 to $25,000 U.S. to redo the car. That is way in excess of what it will ultimately be worth. Only YOU can decide if that is a fair bargain. If the car brings you personal pleasure, then I say go for it. Just be prepared for the loss when you sell it. Or fix it, drive it SPARINGLY and hold on to it for 15 years. You might break even.

The only comment I have to make is this:

Do you find the rust intimidating?? if I were to find that car in my neighborhood, for $800 US, with a selection of body panels, I would consider it a good buy. The market for these cars varies WILDLY here within the states, and here in extreme South Florida ANY s30 for under $1000 is hard to beat (at least it seems like that sometimes.)

I WILL agree that a firsthand inspection should yield you a final answer, but I would say "go for it."

I have a california-imported 240z, is was a fairly good condition z, but ugly as hell... Think it might went for arond 1000$, but it cost in total around 5000$ when I had it in my garage.

So if you add shippingcost and taxes, US-import isnt that cheap, but usually there is a lot less rust.

The z is alot more rare and exclusive over here, so I guess its more fun owning one aswell. In Norway there is just about 100 240's, and not half of them are driveable......

Are you saying it cost $4 grand to ship? I think I would wait for the bridge.

ROVdriver, where in Norway are you? My mother is from Sandeford and lives in Texas, I am from Tejas but live in Atlanta . Please ask me for any parts you need from the US, profit free.

Arnie ("Arne" my Grandfathers name)

PowerGlide don't scare the man away with a $25K tag on getting the car to his satisfication. "Just be prepared for the loss when you sell it. Or fix it, drive it SPARINGLY and hold on to it for 15 years. You might break even".? Who is on this site restoring Z's thinking they are investesting in a high yield stock? I think with a $800 investment there is not going to be a concourse pursuit. If the frame rails are good (even if they are not) the car be resurrected to his standards. There is enough information on this site for a man with the will and a investment in some tools, the car can become whatever he wants. Jesus Christ, He has a perfect dash!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What else do you want for $800 ?

Motivation not pessisism

Flatline what do the frame rails and floor pans look like?

Wasn't my intention to be pessimistic. But a heavy dose of realism is needed when comes to taking on a project like this. Stock picking and perfect dash boards notwithstanding...I'm sure youv'e heard of the dictum "start with the best car you can find" before taking on a restoration project. I'v seen too many people think that a little welding, bondo and paint will fix a rusty car like that. Folks ALWAYS think (and I'v made the SAME mistake) that they can get all this work done for less than it acutally costs. Take you best estimate and multiply it by 2 or 3 depending on how fussy you are.

My advice with regard to the Z Car was to go for it. But he should lknow what he is taking on. If his eyes are open going in...well then SUPER. That was my intent!

well guys.....

I went to see the car last Sunday and I expected the car to be a real rustbucket, BUT its wasn't!!! Only things that I could see rust is the rearside panels (see photo), panel between the rearlights on the top where the "hatch?" sits on and a little bit of rust on the front crosssection.

The batterytray, floorpans etc etc looked to be perfect!!:o At least there was little rust to be seen....

The dashboard is in perfect condition AND there is a second dashboard with this car, and he told be that it is also in good shape!

I also get 2 new frontfenders, 1 extra complete engine, brakes, rotors, axle, just everything thats underneath the car, and that is EXTRA!!

meanless to say I bought the car for 1225 dollar. It started at 800 dollar, but there where a lot of people interested in the car and this evening he decided to give me the last option, because I was the first one who called him :ass::mrgreen:

When I get it home I will shoot some more pictures and post them on this site, but that will take a week or 2.

I am SOOOO happy right now!!!

!

meanless to say I bought the car for 1225 dollar. It started at 800 dollar, but there where a lot of people interested in the car and this evening he decided to give me the last option, because I was the first one who called him :ass::mrgreen:

I am SOOOO happy right now!!!

Not bad. That is assuming he was being truthful and not just gigging you on the price. No matter how you look at it, I've seen worse cars for a even more money sell around here and you got a load of extra parts to boot. Good luck with your new project, seems like you've already got a good start.