Photo

Tips for modifying,upgrading,or restoring a Z on a budget.

• Please log in to reply
168 replies to this topic

#1 MJLamberson

MJLamberson

Baaa...aaa..aa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 03:09 AM

I figure it would be a good idea to share our cheap fixes or money saving tricks in one place, for instance:
I found the genaric weatherstripping from kragen works perfectly on 280z doors, 20$ will cover both doors.
I know you guys have a lot of these "tricks" so share 'em, maybe even cheap products that really work.
-Michael Lamberson
myspace.com/mjlamberson
1976 280z, parted out
1977 280z, RIP, PARTING OUT! TURBO STUFF!http://forums.hybrid...ad.php?t=150948

#2 COZY Z COLE

COZY Z COLE

Retired Admin.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1394 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 06:41 AM

Your title doesn't match the posted subject. How about we change it to "Tips for modifying,upgrading, or restoring your Z car on a budget." If it generates enough ideas we'll sticky it...:wink:

LARRY
Said to many times!! My uncle, brother, dad, friend, _____ has a Z just like yours..... 1975 280Z 355 SBC with WEIAND 144 PRO-STREET BLOWER, R-230 conv.

#3 Globerunner513

Globerunner513

C.F.I.T.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts
  • LocationBellingham, WA

Posted 06 January 2008 - 09:19 AM

zip-ties....lots and lots of zip-ties:icon14:

Signature100pxresizecopy.jpg

#4 ktm

ktm

The Real McCoy

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1619 posts
  • LocationSo Cal

Posted 06 January 2008 - 10:43 AM

Ace Hardware has felt weatherstripping that is a perfect replacement for the door panel window felt. You can buy one roll for $8 if I remember correctly.

Mcmastercarr.com has the top window channel weatherstripping in 8 foot lengths for $11 each. You need two of them to complete both doors.

You can "rent" tools for free from Autozone. You simply put down a deposit that you get back when you return the tool. It's great for renting speciality tools that you will only use once or twice.

Still hung over and that is all that is coming to my pickled brain right now.
-Bo

#5 tkach

tkach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 10:56 AM

KTM do you have part numbers for the weather stripping or sizes?

#6 ktm

ktm

The Real McCoy

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1619 posts
  • LocationSo Cal

Posted 06 January 2008 - 12:05 PM

I do have the part numbers, but I am in San Diego at the moment. I'll post them later tonight when I get home.
-Bo

#7 slownrusty

slownrusty

HybridZ Supporter

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2261 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 06 January 2008 - 02:04 PM

I like this thread..keep 'em coming!

Yasin
Ole skool "wouldn't have it any other way"

#8 MJLamberson

MJLamberson

Baaa...aaa..aa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 05:07 PM

Your title doesn't match the posted subject. How about we change it to "Tips for modifying,upgrading, or restoring your Z car on a budget." If it generates enough ideas we'll sticky it...:wink:

LARRY

Not sure how to change the title... stripped thread repair kits work great, saved my a thermostat housing
-Michael Lamberson
myspace.com/mjlamberson
1976 280z, parted out

#9 Challenger

Challenger

ReMembered

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2932 posts
  • Location99208

Posted 06 January 2008 - 05:35 PM

For 2+2's you can use the weatherstripping off the edge of the window frames for weatherstripping on the outside of the quarterwindow frames.(dont make them anymore)

If a part isnt in nice enough shape to paint... rynoline it.
Derek
78 280z Dark Shadow Grey 2+2: L28et, MS2, HX35W, FMIC, Tial WG, Tokicos, Rear Disks, bla, bla, bla.
Posted Image

#10 COZY Z COLE

COZY Z COLE

Retired Admin.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1394 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 06:15 PM

Not sure how to change the title...

Done....:biggrin:

LARRY
Said to many times!! My uncle, brother, dad, friend, _____ has a Z just like yours..... 1975 280Z 355 SBC with WEIAND 144 PRO-STREET BLOWER, R-230 conv.

#11 psdenno

psdenno

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • LocationSoCal Desert

Posted 06 January 2008 - 07:53 PM

Use black silicone sealer to patch holes, tears, or cracks in the rubber trim pieces on early bumpers. Apply it from the tube using an old business card for smoothing. Let it dry over night and then treat the rubber trim with your favorite trim dressing. Keep the suggestions coming!
Dennis
1971 240Z
Original Owner

#12 X64v

X64v

auxilary's #1 fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 06 January 2008 - 09:31 PM

You can cut up an 18mm Sparkplug Non-Fouler for use as an o2 bung. You can make two bungs from one piece, two pieces to a pack, the packs are $4 at autozone. You do the math.

Posted Image
Sean|'73 240|MSnS-E
P1030066-adj-c.jpg

#13 TrumpetRhapsody

TrumpetRhapsody

Alternate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts
  • LocationFayetteville, AR

Posted 06 January 2008 - 09:43 PM

Hey that's a great one! I have a bunch laying around from an old v8 I took apart. Say hello to some cheap exhaust experiments!
-Chris- ---------Fquick | HBZ Build Thread
1974.5 260z -- L28ET -- Holset Hy35 -- MS II v3.1 Extra & EDIS -- 240sx Trans
Posted Image
Disclaimer: I often re-edit my posts several times until I'm happy with them. You might want to refresh the page a few times.

#14 ihatejoefitz

ihatejoefitz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 07 January 2008 - 06:18 AM

Of course, the welded differential and Ford Taurus electric fan swap.
72 240z. Msns II, L28ET, ebay FMIC

#15 ktm

ktm

The Real McCoy

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1619 posts
  • LocationSo Cal

Posted 07 January 2008 - 01:18 PM

Window Channel Felt (from Classiczcars.com)

"www.jcwhitney.com

The catalog item number for the part is 18GA-4874U.
Now here s the tricky part. The letters in the catalog number can be different depending on which issues of the JC Whitney catalog your looking at. But if you call the order line and tell the person you want part # 18-4874, you ll get the right stuff. It s description is "Rubber Window Channel 9/16 " x 17/32 ". It comes in an 8-ft. piece. Which is almost enough to do both sides, but not quite. So, you have to order 2 pieces. The price when I ordered was $6.99 each. "
-Bo

#16 Gareth

Gareth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationWarsaw, Poland

Posted 07 January 2008 - 02:04 PM

This may sound stupid, but I came to a conclusion that this is the only formula that is true to whatever you do in you Z...

...it's just about keeping things as simple as possible. Having restored a Z and being in the middle of modifying, I learned that actually most of the simpliest things that I did worked best. I'm still to check if these simple things survive on the racetrack, but I'm convinced that the first thing that is going to break will be something complicated and/or expensive.

#17 hughdogz

hughdogz

dogZhuge

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts
  • LocationPortland, Orygun

Posted 07 January 2008 - 02:55 PM

Not really a mod but some advice learned the hard way...

If at all possible, resist the temptation to impulse buy expensive parts or parts that "look like" they will work.

There should be a 72 hour "cool-down" period when considering purchases over ~$50. I'm still in the learning process. :biggrin:

#18 Challenger

Challenger

ReMembered

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2932 posts
  • Location99208

Posted 07 January 2008 - 05:20 PM

That is very wise Hugh. Last summer before my car was even painted and partially back together I was trying to convince my dad to let me buy an intercooler for down the road.... never convinced him but glad I didnt buy it.

The lesson that can be learned is buy what you need and think before you cut, dissassemble, or rip apart anything. It will save you alot of money down the road.
Derek
78 280z Dark Shadow Grey 2+2: L28et, MS2, HX35W, FMIC, Tial WG, Tokicos, Rear Disks, bla, bla, bla.
Posted Image

#19 MJLamberson

MJLamberson

Baaa...aaa..aa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 09:09 PM

Bump.
-Michael Lamberson
myspace.com/mjlamberson
1976 280z, parted out

#20 280Zone

280Zone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 19 April 2008 - 10:08 PM

But I have found having two cars (one together and one apart) help you figure out how to put one back together : )

Ok, now for a cheap one, 70-78 headliner repair/replacement. Locate a local fabric store that deals in automotive materials (ie headliner material) and buy 2 square yards (cause one square yard is 5" too little). Buy 3M headliner adhesive (3M only, don't get cheap here). Remove old headliner for template, cut out a new one and install using instructions on 3M can. Approximate cost $35, do two cars at once approximate cost $40. Since there is enough glue for two cars easily.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users