HybridZ

Tips for modifying,upgrading,or restoring a Z on a budget.

MJLamberson

Just ran into this one today: cylinder head temp sensor "went bad", i.e. was reading 7k+ ohms at 90+F ambient, super-rich, fouled plugs, etc.. Cleaned up the pins, same; got out some 800 grit and polished up the sensor end and it suddenly started working fine. Oddly, now my injectors aren't clicking really loud like they used to - they aren't audible at all. Really messed up my shifting.

Tip: never underestimate the power of cleaning a part, even if it seems like it shouldn't affect anything.

• 2 weeks later...

I dont know how good this is but, I got some new sofas and my doors were old and faded by the sun. So when I threw out my old couches I cut the vinyl from the backs and the foam and wraped my doors it turned out ok and looks alot better than before.

Aircraft surplus store. There's one in So.Cal's beautiful San Fernando valley.

Maybe there is one near you!!!

Hahaha! I remember those! Those are push pull rods from our flight control systems... So that's where they go when we throw them out...

• 2 weeks later...
I cant believe nobody has stated this or at least I havent read it. Its a huge money saver!!!! its called.....

LEAVING IT STOCK!!!!!!!!

I dunno, you can spend a LOT of money leaving it stock. NOS dash? Rare stock parts that no one has anymore? lol you get the idea.

best thing you can do. Find the most rust free car you can, WITHOUT any electrical problems. Even if the engine is shot, it saves you a TON of money and headaches. I know this personally haha. My 78 has a perfect body, 90-99% of the wiring harness has never been messed with (pulled up the carpet and gutted the interior, and ALL of the body's harness was still taped to the floor, with 30 year old duct tape) The engine has some issues to work out, but you know what? At least I don't have to hunt down a Phantom Short!