34 replies to this topic

#21 ezzzzzzz

ezzzzzzz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 951 posts
  • LocationPortsmouth Virginia

Posted 03 February 2009 - 02:39 PM

Here's the start of a Vintage Air Gen II compact installation. I was not satisfied with just recirculated air. A little bit of ingenuity and I'll now have the option of cabin or fresh air. You can see that I changed the fan housing to move it 2" to the passenger side. The fresh air intake had to be opened to align with the cowl opening and the outlet was changed too. A honda fan motor is also being used to add air volume. The evaporator case will be wrapped in damplifier before final install to reduce associated noise levels. The tunnel and cowl were both slightly modified with a hammer to fit the unit. The other pictures show the control panel fitted into a panel I had made. It replaces the stock illuminated control panel. The area to left of the controls will hold a push/pull lever to open/close the air vent in the fan housing. I'm also modding the VA control panel to add more lighting as theirs is less than favorable.

Attached Files

"I used to have super powers but my therapist took them away."

'71 240Z, '75 280Z, '71 Land Rover 88" LS1 motivated, '84 Land Rover 110" Chevy 4.3 V6 powered 5-door, '86 Range Rover RHD (wrecked), '90 Range Rover, '93 Range Rover turbo diesel, '97 Discovery

#22 deja

deja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1915 posts
  • LocationSugar Hill, GA

Posted 03 February 2009 - 02:54 PM

I thought about bringing in outside air with mine but VA advises against it. You might want to call them to get their input. They have a very friendly help desk.

Here's the start of a Vintage Air Gen II compact installation. I was not satisfied with just recirculated air. A little bit of ingenuity and I'll now have the option of cabin or fresh air. You can see that I changed the fan housing to move it 2" to the passenger side. The fresh air intake had to be opened to align with the cowl opening and the outlet was changed too. A honda fan motor is also being used to add air volume. The evaporator case will be wrapped in damplifier before final install to reduce associated noise levels. The tunnel and cowl were both slightly modified with a hammer to fit the unit. The other pictures show the control panel fitted into a panel I had made. It replaces the stock illuminated control panel. The area to left of the controls will hold a push/pull lever to open/close the air vent in the fan housing. I'm also modding the VA control panel to add more lighting as theirs is less than favorable.

'77 280Z - Newly built LT1 4 bolt main, LT4 hot cam kit. 4L60E/Transgo shift kit. 300ZX LSD, Wolf Creek CV axles. MM 5 lug front hubs with Silvermine Stage 4 front brakes - MM 5 lug billet rear stub axles and disc brakes. Molded side skirts and ZG flares. 2905 lbs with a full tank.

#23 ezzzzzzz

ezzzzzzz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 951 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 03:34 PM

I appreciate their knowledge. If put up against 200+ car manufacturers that do incorporate fresh air then I think VA is taking the easy way out. Certainly, it's easier to control humidity within an enclosed space. If it was the best way then why would all of the manufacturers go through the engineering and costs to include it? It wasn't as if it was terribly hard to make the changes in my 240Z. Should I find it to be unacceptable I'll just leave the vent closed to outside air.

'71 240Z, '75 280Z, '71 Land Rover 88" LS1 motivated, '84 Land Rover 110" Chevy 4.3 V6 powered 5-door, '86 Range Rover RHD (wrecked), '90 Range Rover, '93 Range Rover turbo diesel, '97 Discovery

#24 Derek

Derek

That Horny Z Guy

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1039 posts
  • LocationCentral Florida USA

Posted 03 February 2009 - 06:01 PM

Stop farting so much and you won't need fresh air intake!

I have a/c tape over my fresh air intake and there are times when I wouldn't mind bringing in a little air.

I like that slide vent your using. I'm not super happy with the rotary knob unit I'm using.

Derek

#25 jeffer949

jeffer949

HybridZ Supporter

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1040 posts
  • LocationNewton, KS

Posted 03 February 2009 - 10:16 PM

Stop farting so much and you won't need fresh air intake!

I have a/c tape over my fresh air intake and there are times when I wouldn't mind bringing in a little air.

I like that slide vent your using. I'm not super happy with the rotary knob unit I'm using.

Derek

Dont have your car computer controling it yet?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]1974 260ZT known as Stella- the temperamental bitch

#26 Derek

Derek

That Horny Z Guy

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1039 posts
  • LocationCentral Florida USA

Posted 04 February 2009 - 02:57 AM

Dont have your car computer controling it yet?

No but I have it controlling my farting!
Right now with everything going on with the manifold that will be last on the list! It's still on the list though. The round knob panel looks good but the knobs are a little small and slippery and the symbols are really small to read. The lighting leaves something to be desired as well.

Derek

#27 rigez

rigez

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, Ca.

Posted 11 February 2009 - 04:31 PM

Derek, What material are the hardlines? Where did you get the fittings, where did you get the hoses?

I would assume that you went somewhere to get the fittings crimped? I am at a loss here, I have everything but need the lines to attach everything.

Did you use R12 or R134?

Any website that can help me ou with those parts?
thanks
Dayz

First thanks for the right up :icon14:.

Second I'm also curious about the fittings and hard lines.

If its not too much trouble could you take a couple more pics of the engine bay a little further out around the compressor?

Thanks,
Warren

#28 ezzzzzzz

ezzzzzzz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 951 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 05:33 AM

You can buy aluminum or s/s hardlines from Vintage Air. Both come in different lengths. The s/s lines can be silver soldered for truly custom fit. They also sell Aeroquip a/c hose and fittings you can fab in your driveway. The cost of parts is a bit higher but the end results is excellent. You don't have to buy a beadlock crimper ($$$) or locate an a/c shop ($$$) to crimp for you either.

#29 TexasNissanDude

TexasNissanDude

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationCC, Tejas

Posted 12 February 2010 - 10:58 AM

Wow, I am so glad I found this thread! Thanks for the info..

3/74 260Z - RLS30028265 - New project car '91 SE-R FMAX DET - '08 M35 - '94 Nissan Sentra E Daily Driver

#30 TexasNissanDude

TexasNissanDude

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationCC, Tejas

Posted 12 February 2010 - 11:26 AM

I am saving this one for future reference.

3/74 260Z - RLS30028265 - New project car '91 SE-R FMAX DET - '08 M35 - '94 Nissan Sentra E Daily Driver

#31 Sparks280zt

Sparks280zt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1482 posts
  • LocationGranite Falls, NC

Posted 12 February 2010 - 11:46 AM

You can usually find local shops to make your hard lines with whatever fittings you want. I used to use a local one all the time to make hard lines for big truck AC systems, was cheap and faster than ordering from the dealer.
1972 240z, 388, t56, blah blah yada yada

Bought, not built.

#32 Grim

Grim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts
  • LocationMountain Home AR, 72653

Posted 18 February 2011 - 01:39 PM

Does anyone know what it would take to have the Mini system work with my stock later model controls? It did have AC from the factory but that's been long since removed, before I even got the car.
"We're all a bunch of mugs! We work twenty-four hours a day, don't eat; we don't sleep and we spend all of our money just so we can go out again next Sunday and break the damned car." - Horst Kwech, circa 1970

#33 Xnke

Xnke

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2005 posts
  • LocationBowling Green KY

Posted 30 March 2011 - 04:57 AM

I have my control panel mounted the same way, and the center vent won't clear it...I have to mod the mounting points about a sixteenth of an inch.

Just a little heads-up on a potential issue.

#34 ZT-R

ZT-R

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1670 posts
  • LocationBeaufort, SC

Posted 29 July 2012 - 08:48 AM

What about the ducting?

<p>72 240z R.I.P.S. Forged RB30/26DET, BW 9174EFR, Series 2 AEM EMS , Endyn Pro Head, R.I.P.S. Intake Manifold & 90mm TB, R230 Rear End, T3 Suspension, ect...My Build Thread

#35 nzarano

nzarano

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationNear: Summit, New Jersey usa

Posted 15 May 2017 - 05:47 PM

Derek does your unit do heating as well? did the unit connect to all the stock vents? could you by chance post all the part numbers you used? Does this render the stock vent controls useless? does the original fan have to be removed? Thank you for your help! summer is around the corner and im a bit over my head trying to prep the z....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users