HybridZ

Installing rear S13 vs. S14 Coilovers on 280ZX

This post is in regard to the S13 vs S14 coilover set up for the REAR of a 280ZX. I am new to the coilover world. However, I have read so much and understand the technicals. I am aware of the height difference between the two. However, I cannot find any exact post of anyone anywhere on the web who has actually installed S14 rear coilovers vs S13's. Most people start their posts out talking about the REAR and then end up talking about the FRONTS. What would be nice to see is a post showing someone who has actually installed S13 vs S14 coilovers on a 280ZX with possibly pics. I would like to know what the two look like side by side and if the S14's can be lowered enough to compensate or the S13's raised enough to be able to perform. Or to know if running S13's, what spring rate is best for performance and squatting.

Here's my dilemma. I have a 1979 280ZXR. Just bought the ROTA RB's with 235/45/17X9F and 255/40/17X9.5R. So far the fronts fit fine without rubbing the cup in the front utilizing the Techno Toy Tuning RCA's. The rear is where I'm having an issue. I am aware that I will have to roll the fender. However, I am currently running Tokico struts with ST springs all around and in the rear I'm bottoming out. So essentially which coilover would be better to be able to have low enough, but also high enough to clear for performance. PLEASE ADD PICS IF YOU HAVE THEM. Cannot find anyone who has successfully done this conversion completely and hasn't had any problems.

I respect and appreciate all feedback, but please don't indicate that this has already been done. Unless you can provide me with a link, so that I can reference it. Because I have searched and searched and cannot come up with anything.

Thank you for reading and posting.

ZXR

post-13992-002831800 1310865347_thumb.jpg

post-13992-085081000 1310865383_thumb.jpg

post-13992-047960100 1310866390_thumb.jpg

post-13992-061286100 1310866491_thumb.jpg

post-13992-052797200 1310866585_thumb.jpg

Edited by RollinDatsun280ZXR

So many have been successful with s13 coilovers. So you know they fit. s14 coilovers are about 6 inches longer. You would need to put the sleeve that much more in to compensate, which I don't think it can do, and it would be the same as if you ran s13 coilovers with the sleeve out that much (why would you do that). You want s13 rear coilovers, you can set them high enough to have a 3 in wheel gap or low enough to put your frame rails on the floor(don't do that though).

My rear coilovers were 6kg/mm and it hardly bottomed out.

So many have been successful with s13 coilovers. So you know they fit. s14 coilovers are about 6 inches longer. You would need to put the sleeve that much more in to compensate, which I don't think it can do, and it would be the same as if you ran s13 coilovers with the sleeve out that much (why would you do that). You want s13 rear coilovers, you can set them high enough to have a 3 in wheel gap or low enough to put your frame rails on the floor(don't do that though).

My rear coilovers were 6kg/mm and it hardly bottomed out.

Thank you BluDestiny and Tony D. I really appreciate the information. BluDestiny you have given me the information that I have been searching for all along. No one has indicated this info anywhere. Tony D, yes I have read Frank 280ZXR's posting. Thanks. That guys ZXR is insane! Too bad he still doesn't have the stripes to indicate it. Anyway, at a later time, I am going to type up a post on utilizing the ROTA RB Staggered setup and what I have experienced as to what will work for suspension on a ZX. I am purchasing the coilovers for the rear with 6kg/mm. Sounds like they should be fine. Thanks again guys!

-ZXR

www.280zxr.com

This is my car with S13 coilovers installed straight out of the box, not adjusted. The collar is approx in the middle of the thread.

DSCF0021.jpg

From memory from the ground to the highest point of the wheel arch lip was about 65cm, tyres are 255/40/17s. There is plenty of adjustment either way.

Who needs stripes? STRIPES do NOT indicate a ZX-R, neither does the tail.

Inclusion on the list from Nissan of the 1000 VIN's make the car a ZX-R.

True, they all had stripes and a tail, but it was that list which said which were 'official' for the homogolation body. And is what qualified it as a 'limited production run'---then to qualify to let all privateer racers use the parts, they were made available through the distribution network.

If you're car isn't on that VIN List, it's a 'replica' like many out there...

Frank's car "is on the list".

This is my car with S13 coilovers installed straight out of the box, not adjusted. The collar is approx in the middle of the thread.

DSCF0021.jpg

From memory from the ground to the highest point of the wheel arch lip was about 65cm, tyres are 255/40/17s. There is plenty of adjustment either way.

Thanks djz for the picture and info. I appreciate that. Looks like there is a lot of room. Wow! It's good to be able to actually see it.

Who needs stripes? STRIPES do NOT indicate a ZX-R, neither does the tail.

Inclusion on the list from Nissan of the 1000 VIN's make the car a ZX-R.

True, they all had stripes and a tail, but it was that list which said which were 'official' for the homogolation body. And is what qualified it as a 'limited production run'---then to qualify to let all privateer racers use the parts, they were made available through the distribution network.

If you're car isn't on that VIN List, it's a 'replica' like many out there...

Frank's car "is on the list".

C'mon Tony.....I was just kidding about the stripes. Frank has a very nice ride. Just thought it'd be cool to see all that work on one that did have the original kit. You're right it doesn't. It's just less money to repaint a ZXR another color, if the stripes are faded. Then it is to repaint the kit on. Since there is no way to get the original vinyl kit anymore. Just the stripes alone is 40 hrs in a booth. Just recently checked on having it repainted. $5000 and 60hrs. Mine is scheduled to be done this winter.

I am the second owner and have owned my ZXR for 14 yrs. I bought it when it was completely bone stock. I paid $2,500 and it had 52k original miles. Even had the original belts and hoses still on it. I have the original window sticker. My VIN is HS130130640. It is in the list. Hence I have the original window sticker as well to prove. Besides, I would goto all that trouble to make it look like one. Because the upkeep is a pain in the arse. Sometimes I'd rather just have a normal paint job. Then I can do anything I want to it.

Anyway......thanks for the input response.

I've got megan racing S13 coilovers front and rear. I've dropped the front approximately 3 inches (limit of what fits with 225 tires on stock 6 spokes + 5mm spacer. The rear is sitting about the same since I don't have any sort of camber/toe adjustment to compensate, and I don't feel like eating tires. There's certainly room for lots more drop, and it could go higher than stock if you wanted it to.

It's just less money to repaint a ZXR another color, if the stripes are faded. Then it is to repaint the kit on. Since there is no way to get the original vinyl kit anymore. Just the stripes alone is 40 hrs in a booth. Just recently checked on having it repainted. $5000 and 60hrs. Mine is scheduled to be done this winter.

Is it $5K just for the stripes? For a bare metal respray that sounds ok but just for stripes it is a fair bit, IMO I would go to a sign writer and get a vinyl done. You may find its quite cheap and gets the same look as the original :>

Just a suggestion :)

• 2 weeks later...

I actually put S14s on my 280ZX. the fronts are the same, the rears, as mentioned, are a few inches longer. I just had the sleeve the shock/strut threads into cut down by about 4 to 5 inches and welded back together. I can try to get some pics, but it wont be for a week or 2. Work will resume on my 280ZX this winter, as I have finally built a suitable garage.

This post is in regard to the S13 vs S14 coilover set up for the REAR of a 280ZX. I am new to the coilover world. However, I have read so much and understand the technicals. I am aware of the height difference between the two. However, I cannot find any exact post of anyone anywhere on the web who has actually installed S14 rear coilovers vs S13's. Most people start their posts out talking about the REAR and then end up talking about the FRONTS. What would be nice to see is a post showing someone who has actually installed S13 vs S14 coilovers on a 280ZX with possibly pics. I would like to know what the two look like side by side and if the S14's can be lowered enough to compensate or the S13's raised enough to be able to perform. Or to know if running S13's, what spring rate is best for performance and squatting.

Here's my dilemma. I have a 1979 280ZXR. Just bought the ROTA RB's with 235/45/17X9F and 255/40/17X9.5R. So far the fronts fit fine without rubbing the cup in the front utilizing the Techno Toy Tuning RCA's. The rear is where I'm having an issue. I am aware that I will have to roll the fender. However, I am currently running Tokico struts with ST springs all around and in the rear I'm bottoming out. So essentially which coilover would be better to be able to have low enough, but also high enough to clear for performance. PLEASE ADD PICS IF YOU HAVE THEM. Cannot find anyone who has successfully done this conversion completely and hasn't had any problems.

I respect and appreciate all feedback, but please don't indicate that this has already been done. Unless you can provide me with a link, so that I can reference it. Because I have searched and searched and cannot come up with anything.

Thank you for reading and posting.

ZXR

I'm running Rota RB-R 17x9.5 on all four corner with Yokohama S-Drive 235/45/17 up front and 255/40/17 in the back. I'm also running HPK255 spring/struts and there is lots of room in the back. Yasin is running the same setup but 255 on the front and 275 on the rear but IIRC he's running coil overs. What do you mean that you're bottoming out in the rear? Are the tires rubbing against the struts or are you physically bottoming the strut out on the bump stops? You mention squating. That's only going to be resolved by your spring rate. I don't know what the ST springs are but the Tockicos are about 200lbs in the rear IIRC. Personally I think 250lb would be optimal but you are better of checking with the guys that track the cars frequently.