HybridZ

Engine Removal..Will this work?

steve260z

To clarify, will not be re-using the bolts or the block.

Can you remind me what the strongest metric bolt is? Code on top of the bolt? Can I easily purchase bolts as strong as the head bolts?

Thanks!

Steve

Edited by steve260z

I would at least put some fender washers under the bolt heads. You will have an easier time getting the engine out if you use a tilting device that allows tilting the engine as it comes out to clear the radiator bulkhead. Harbor Freight sells the tilter.

post-178-051377400 1313887642_thumb.jpg

post-178-038242800 1313887664_thumb.jpg

You don't need super fancy hardware for this. The 8.8 grade hardware will be fine. Get regular hex head screw, the head is larger than the socket head cap screws. Use a length that is just long enough to get full thread engagement and still have the chain links loose enough to move around some.

For your info, my engine had the head removed as well. I lift it up from the engine brackets. It was not balanced so I've used a strap to balance the whole weight. The trans was not part of the engine assembly during this step.

It worked quite well but not sure I would do it again this way...

Edited by Lazeum

You just need two bolts. Steel is pretty strong as long as it's not an impact force. You are putting a lot of load sideways on those bolts. Not good. I would do it on the side of the block. Ac compressor mount holes, etc.

I've lifted a mod motor longblock out with two m8 bolts.

Edited by BLOZ UP

Yeah, bolts on the side sound interesting. I'll be doing it sat. In addition to thinking how to.get the 3.1 in....another pita is the engine lift legs won't clear the front control arms so the car also needs to be jacked while lifting the motor out, while reducing my vertical lift clearance by the same amount.

As Cygnusx indicated, this would be fine if you used short bolts. I'd use a washer between the chain and the deck. You could use the stock head bolts if you use something rigid in between the bolts instead of the chain. Class 8.8 bolts would be fine for this. Class 10.9 is the strongest, but not needed in this application.

You guys realize simply using two Metric Pad-Eyes screwed into the block diagonally (yes, into the head bolt holes) will be enough to lift the CAR off the ground, and will easily handle the engine.

Eyebolt-5ZA21_AS01.JPG

They will cost maybe $6 each for forged units capable of lifting, as I said, the entire CAR...

<EDIT> Wow, prophetic cost prediction: Clickety Click!

Personally I have a length of chain with two large washers welded to the end links that I screw standard bolts into the head bolt holes and lift the block with...

But since he has those nice hooks...may as well put a pad-eye there!

Edited by Tony D

The eye bolts are a great idea, just remember to get them 10 x 1.50 thread to fit the head bolt threads. Tony's link points to 8x1.25 bolts, lest anyone blindly gets some without a sanity check. And the 10x1.5 size jumps up in price astronomically to $7.02....

I use 1 1/4 inch long hex bolts that are of the correct thread and use a fender washer on between the chain and the block then I snug them up slightly beyond finger tight and pull away.

Never use the factory bracket on the rearmost stud of the exhaust.........unless you just screwed in a new one only minutes earlier.

Tony and all,

Thanks for the advice. Actually have a Granger about 1/2 mile from the office.

When installing the new 3.1L block without the head are the headbolt holes safe in regards to stress placed on them, from lifting? The 2.6L I'm removing I will not be used and have not found a buyer, so I'm not concerned about it. Just want to make sure I'm not causing a future torque problem when bolting down the new head on the 3.1L.

In terms of where to place/space the eye bolts...what's the weight distribution on a short block without the tranny? In other words, what's the best diagonal positions for these bolts so the block pulls up fairly balanced?

Thanks

ss

When you torque the head bolts, you clamp them to 60/80 lbs.ft depending on bolt type/lube, etc.

if you'd check the load created with such torque, you would see that load for each bolt is around 50,000N. That's 5 tons per bolt ;) Does it answer your question? :D

Edited by Lazeum