HybridZ

In need of a good shop to send my Datsun

Hey Guys/Gals,

I hope this is in the right area :unsure: :unsure:

I've owned my Datsun for a few months now. I had every intention in the world to take the project on by myself but alas work has got so busy that I cant find the time to work on my car and its killing me knowing that its just sitting there with a small mountain of parts that I have ordered for it it since I got it. My question is this, is there a reputable shop in the SoCal area that I can take the car to get the restoration under way? Im looking for somebody who car do metal work as well as motor work (RB25 Swap to be exact). I searched google and I searched hybridz but I cant really seem to find what im looking for. An recommendation would be awesome! If you personally used the shop you suggest what was your final grade?

If I need to take the car to multiple places to get the different phases of the build finished or at least to a point that I can take over thats more then fine Im really just looking to be pointed in the right direction because I really haven't come up with anything on my own.

Thanks!

If you go to Sunrise Z they state, "These pictures were taken courtesy of Beta Motorsports who does all our metal fabrication work and rust repair." Les (Classic Datsun) is good for the roadsters and a factory restoration whereas I like JohnC (Beta Motorsports) for anything race related / fabrication / performance. While the stock car is fine, drive a well-sorted 240Z and it's really hard to step back into a factory car.

I've heard very good things about Sunrise Z in Glendale. I also know of Classic Datsun, and know they do top notch stuff, not sure how they are with swaps though.

Classic Datsun?

They do brisk business putting FJ20 and SR20's into roadsters. And a while ago Les had picked up an RB 20 on the thoughts that he would use it to make a 'poor mans' Z432 out of his Fairlady Z that he was Auto-Xing at the time.

I think Classic Datsun has swaps covered. And withe McKinney just up the road a piece in Temecula they can have the prefab hard parts in a day by company truck.

Classic Datsun?

They do brisk business putting FJ20 and SR20's into roadsters. And a while ago Les had picked up an RB 20 on the thoughts that he would use it to make a 'poor mans' Z432 out of his Fairlady Z that he was Auto-Xing at the time.

I think Classic Datsun has swaps covered. And withe McKinney just up the road a piece in Temecula they can have the prefab hard parts in a day by company truck.

Thanks for the extra info, I'm not from the area so my info comes from word-of-mouth (key?).

Or you could just click on the link in his signature. ;)

Sorry I've been using the browser on my cell so I cant see any of your signatures but now that I finally have a spare second away from the trenches Im on my computer lol. Thanks for all the help guys! Temecula would be awesome.. I have a industrial/performance fastener and tool store right off Felix Valdez in Temecula called Top-Line so that would make life a lot easier.

There's also Vildini motorsports, they do SR and RB swaps too, top notch work, but a bit pricey(er).

I emailed Alex at vildini and he he hasn't got back to me in 2 days the same thing with McKinney. We'll see if they gets in touch with me. :)

Edited by Pasquale

I emailed Alex at vildini and he he hasn't got back to me in 2 days the same thing with McKinney. We'll see if they gets in touch with me. :)

It's best to pick up the phone & call them...both have taken awhile to respond via email, pretty busy guys.

If I need to take the car to multiple places to get the different phases of the build finished or at least to a point that I can take over thats more then fine Im really just looking to be pointed in the right direction because I really haven't come up with anything on my own.

Thanks!

If your going to take it to multiple places, my advice would be have one place do the body work, and one shop do everything mechanical related. If there are issues with the car, which in the beginging there will be, you dont want shops having to figure out what the last shop did. Plus every shop has a different way of doing it the "right way" and they all can criticize eachothers work and start recommending undoing what the last shop did. This will set you back big $ for no reason.

In a perfect world I would have everything done at one place becuase I work so much that its kind of last min. if I get to go back home or if im staying up north. I havent been home in a month and I have a lot of things that I need to pick up from people that I've been promising them I would buy lol. Beta motorsports (johnC) told me that he could cover all aspects of my restoration and thats a huge plus in my book where as Alex emailed me this morning saying he only offeres the swap.