HybridZ

Should I? or shouldn't I?

dum-bass

Got this whale tail from a friend of mine. I've had it propped up on my car for a couple days trying to get used to the look. @ some angles it looks really cool and other angles it looks somewhat overwhelming. From what I've read, these tails are super efficient with almost zero drag but I don't want it to look like a kids car either!

post-3136-025719300 1315164701_thumb.jpg

post-3136-036573700 1315164717_thumb.jpg

I like it! Personally I would put it on for a while and see if it grows on me or drives any different. I'm a Porsche guy so I'm partial to the whale tails though.

Where did friend get it/ where could I get one of these? I was originally looking at the ZCC spoilers for my 260 but I like the looks of yours. I think it might go even better with a wide body rear.

Other whale tails:

From this thread:

P1000305.JPG

76.jpg

And a zx on this thread:

Sharp280ZX.JPG

Edited by aSpiffyMofo

I was going to say its a very similar tail to the ZXR whale tail (same as the BSR 280ZX pictured above)

therefore I like it.

with the ZXR wing it makes a noticeable difference, the car is smoother over road bumps at any speed above 40ish and anything above 70 the rear is planted very well. on the downside I noticed about a 4mpg loss on hwy fuel economy after re-installing the wing on my ZXR.

nissan rated their zxr wing at 370lbs of downforce at 100mph... with numbers like that there is DEFINATLY something to it.

I like it! Personally I would put it on for a while and see if it grows on me or drives any different. I'm a Porsche guy so I'm partial to the whale tails though.

Where did friend get it/ where could I get one of these? I was originally looking at the ZCC spoilers for my 260 but I like the looks of yours. I think it might go even better with a wide body rear.

Other whale tails:

From this thread:

P1000305.JPG

76.jpg

And a zx on this thread:

Sharp280ZX.JPG

These things have been aroun for @ least 25yrs or more. Motorsport Auto still sells them, kinda pricey though.

I was going to say its a very similar tail to the ZXR whale tail (same as the BSR 280ZX pictured above)

therefore I like it.

with the ZXR wing it makes a noticeable difference, the car is smoother over road bumps at any speed above 40ish and anything above 70 the rear is planted very well. on the downside I noticed about a 4mpg loss on hwy fuel economy after re-installing the wing on my ZXR.

nissan rated their zxr wing at 370lbs of downforce at 100mph... with numbers like that there is DEFINATLY something to it.

I think I read somewhere that they rate @ 270lbs downforce.

Nissan Motorsports said the ZXR tail made 370 lbs at 100 mph or something like that, but IMO that number is complete BS. The Hybrid Z windtunnel testing showed 250lbs at 120 mph on the S30, but I think they used a larger tail than the one you have.

If you're into function, use it. If the form is too disagreeable for you, don't. It does work though, no doubt about that.

I took these side skirts off of a '90s minivan something like an Olds or Eurovan can't remember! Then I just cut the ends off to fit. They are definately not aero functional but they do fatten up the rockers a bit

Damn the look pretty good really, need to be molded in there but its black so it hides it better!