HybridZ

Function Vs. Form

ModernS30

Function Vs. Form  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Should hybridz allow fully form builds or not?

• Functionality rules.
    • Form is where its at.

If there is anything we know about fads, it's that they come and go in a relatively short amount of time. I don't really think there needs to be a sub-forum for this style as we already have suspension & fabrication sub-forums which are both fitting for this topic. There are not that many threads that take it to the extreme but I don't see any harm being done to the forum for having them.

Forum Rules

1. The purpose of this site is to discuss TECHNICAL topics that pertain to the modification of the Datsun/Nissan Z cars (240Z, 260Z, 280Z, 300ZX, 350Z). No thoughtful modification that enhances performance or styling will be put down. The philosophy is one of "parts is parts" - it doesn't matter what automaker originally made the parts, if you think that using those parts on your Z will add to it's performance or cosmetic appeal. But the emphasis is on FUNCTION, not the addition of graphics, wings, etc. to only make the Z LOOK like it is a high performance car. However, everyone has their own ideas of what stylish modifications look good or bad.

I think rule #1 lets in all styling/cosmetic modifications that are thoughtful with some emphasis on FUNCTION.

I feel a suspension modification that lowers the car and compensates for correct suspension geometry is appropriate and meets the intent of rule #1. One which only addresses cosmetics should be handled individually by the moderators and opinions of those who respond to the post as to its merits in regards to rule #1.

A sub-forum is not necessary and in my opinion would go against rule #1 and the ability of moderators to police threads that do not meet rule #1.

My 2 cent......

I will pose a question to those who would ban the hellaflush movement and similar sentiments from the forum: What do you hope to accomplish by doing this?

By removing this sort of content from the form. HZ loses potential members and turns away enthusiasts from a wonderful source of information. If what someone puts in a thread or does to their car bothers you, don't read the thread!.

For the record, I haven't voted in either category on the poll in this thread as neither apply to me. I think that there is a place for all sorts of car design decisions when modifying a car, and so long as they are presented on this forum in an intelligent and readable manner, that they are welcome to post here.

Any sort of modification of the original form will affect how it functions, but it seems that the suspension and wheel modifications required to get the right stance are so extreme they seriously impair the function of the vehicle. What are the benefits?

Forum Rules

1. The purpose of this site is to discuss TECHNICAL topics that pertain to the modification of the Datsun/Nissan Z cars (240Z, 260Z, 280Z, 300ZX, 350Z). No thoughtful modification that enhances performance or styling will be put down. The philosophy is one of "parts is parts" - it doesn't matter what automaker originally made the parts, if you think that using those parts on your Z will add to it's performance or cosmetic appeal. But the emphasis is on FUNCTION, not the addition of graphics, wings, etc. to only make the Z LOOK like it is a high performance car. However, everyone has their own ideas of what stylish modifications look good or bad.

I think rule #1 lets in all styling/cosmetic modifications that are thoughtful with some emphasis on FUNCTION.

I feel a suspension modification that lowers the car and compensates for correct suspension geometry is appropriate and meets the intent of rule #1. One which only addresses cosmetics should be handled individually by the moderators and opinions of those who respond to the post as to its merits in regards to rule #1.

A sub-forum is not necessary and in my opinion would go against rule #1 and the ability of moderators to police threads that do not meet rule #1.

My 2 cent......

In the very first sentence of that, it states that no modification that enhances performance or STYLING will be put down.

Lowering a car and putting it on wheels is considered styling in my book. Not all of us want to race our cars, some of us just want to drive them and apply certain STYLES to them.

I see this site as more of a modification-friendly site. There's a reason why, when a person asks a modification-oriented question on Zcar.com, they are referred to HybridZ.

I understand that some people don't want to see it.

I also don't see a reason why we can't just get along and enjoy Z cars. That's why we're all here. When a person modifies a car, they're putting part of their personality into that car, and it becomes more than a hunk of metal on wheels.

So if we can't accept people for who they are, we gotta problem.

When I ask too many stupid questions or don't use the search button effectively, the forum kind of snubs me and stops replying to PMs, etc. It is ok, it lets me know when I've gone to far or been too pushy or stupid. I wait a while, ponder the worth of my posts, then I try again and try to be a better forum member. Pretty effective way to keep me in line.

On the lowrider stuff: I like to look at it, but I don't want one. But, I hope the lowrider crew isn't consuming many cherry bodies. If it is too rusty to restore, might as well enjoy it as you like, but I would hate to see good vintage tin being beaten to death. If the post has something that will edify the forum, it is good. All of our posts should seek to help other people, answer questions and teach, not just play show and tell.

• Administrators

In the very first sentence of that, it states that no modification that enhances performance or STYLING will be put down.

No, it doesn't say that. It says "No thoughtful modification that enhances performance or styling will be put down"

It also says "But the emphasis is on FUNCTION, not the addition of graphics, wings, etc. to only make the Z LOOK like it is a high performance car."

You must take the whole rule and not single out the bit that fits your agenda best. You don't get to omit verbage that doesn't suit you.

We wrote the rules. We understand their intent. Okay?

I also don't see a reason why we can't just get along and enjoy Z cars.

That's why we're all here.

No. We're here because there is a portion of Z owners that believe in brand loyalty. We don't. Hence, this forum was born to serve a specific purpose for like minded enthusiasts. Rendering a Z useless for anything other than a photograph isn't cohesive with the purpose of this forum, any more than purism is.

So if we can't accept people for who they are, we gotta problem.

Why are you taking this personally? I think no more, and no less of you because of what you've done to your car. It's yours for petes sake. Do as you like. Just have the sense to realize that it doesn't fit in to this forums objectives. And it doesn't have to.

By removing this sort of content from the form. HZ loses potential members and turns away enthusiasts from a wonderful source of information. If what someone puts in a thread or does to their car bothers you, don't read the thread!.

For the record, I haven't voted in either category on the poll in this thread as neither apply to me. I think that there is a place for all sorts of car design decisions when modifying a car, and so long as they are presented on this forum in an intelligent and readable manner, that they are welcome to post here.

You're assuming we want more members. HybridZ is not a business and we haven't sold it out to Internet Brands, although Dan gets offers pretty much every month. The ad revenue from Google is just fine with the membership we have and is enough to keep the site running. We are not interested in growth. Often we feel that having more members is a negative.

For everyone:

This site has a huge emphasis on performance, why else would someone throw a SBC into a rusty old piece of Japanese tin? You can slam your S30 all you want but if it doesn't perform, it can't be driven at speed, and is basically a garage ornament, then you won't get much respect here. If its important for you, the car builder, to earn the respect of HybridZ, then you have to build your car to perform as a car. But, if a car as art is what you enjoy, why do you care if you earn our respect? There are dozens of other sites on the Internet that will give you mad props for a slammed ride done well. There are individuals on this site that will also give you mad props and they might be someone you least expect. But, HybridZ as a whole is dedicated to performance, not art.

I would agree that this forum might be the more "functional" oriented folks, but I see no reason why we, as a forum, can't at least make a sub-forum (as was said). Some of us, like myself, do fabricate our own pieces, LCA's for example, to do the "stance thing" properly and not ruin the car. With that said, some of the builds and fabrication might actually pertain to someone else's function build. NO, I am not saying that everyone has or will do it properly, but I AM saying that not all of us that enjoy that look will do anything and everything to attain it.

My Vote:

I would like to see a subforum for the "form" oriented people because it would be enforced by the same rules and guidelines as the rest of the forum. The needless threads will be thrown out, but the threads with actual intelligence should be allowed. They might actually help someone else.

I am personally going for both with my own build, but it would be nice to not have my build thread locked because I am working on the visuals before the power.

I would agree that this forum might be the more "functional" oriented folks, but I see no reason why we, as a forum, can't at least make a sub-forum (as was said). Some of us, like myself, do fabricate our own pieces, LCA's for example, to do the "stance thing" properly and not ruin the car. With that said, some of the builds and fabrication might actually pertain to someone else's function build. NO, I am not saying that everyone has or will do it properly, but I AM saying that not all of us that enjoy that look will do anything and everything to attain it.

My Vote:

I would like to see a subforum for the "form" oriented people because it would be enforced by the same rules and guidelines as the rest of the forum. The needless threads will be thrown out, but the threads with actual intelligence should be allowed. They might actually help someone else.

I am personally going for both with my own build, but it would be nice to not have my build thread locked because I am working on the visuals before the power.

Good gawd man did you not just read what is posted above?