HybridZ

complete l28et with harness/megasquirt

So heres the scoop. I was actually going to buy this l28et 240z a month ago but bought 1971 Z with dual Z therapy SU's L28. The owner of the first car is willing to sell me the ET which is mostly stock and has a recently rebuilt head. I drove the car myself so I know the engine pulls strong. He's willing to give me everything I need to directly swap the motor to my car including the motor/harness/tuned meqasquirt (200whp).

I feel like 2000 is way too high, but for the ability to pretty much swap it right over, is it worth it?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Daniel

P.S ive done my fair share of research. I know the engines are going in the $3-500 range, however this particular situation is different than most threads/questions i've found on the forums.

Edited by SDgoods

In hindsight, a sorted out, running, tuned L28ET would have been worth 2k for me. I bought a 'good' used engine, turned out to have been rebuilt by an idiot, had to rebuild it, had to build a megasquirt, had to build a harness, had to fight with both, etc.

Do a leakdown check, bolt it in, and go racing. The leakdown is important, I ran very low 14's in the 1/4 mile at 98ish mph with no compression and a bad valvetrain, to many that is pulling hard. Rebuilding the engine, now I'm running 13.0 at 106ish mph, that's 80+hp more than 'pulls hard', same setup, just a good engine and tuning.

Any other go-fast goodies on the motor? What version of the Megasquirt?

I bought out an abandoned L28ET swap, with new turbo (no specs), 5speed,

240SX TB, Fidenza flywheel and ACT clutch for about the same. I sold

the tranny and a bunch of other parts I would not use, and bought my

EMS, injectors and another new turbo.

So I have about the same amount invested, and my motor is still on the

floor, no exhaust, not intercooler plumbing and the EMS has not seen power yet.

I think I can get enough out of my NA L28 to cover the bits I am missing,

but a good, or even almost good tune could take quite a awhile. (time=$$$)

So unless the motor is bone stock, or needing a complete rebuild, the price

may be on target, or just a bit high.

Like dan said it really depends on what else.

If it has all stock components (clutch, flywheel, turbo) with just the megasquirt it is not worth it ( in my opinion).

If it has some headwork, a lightweight flywheel, upgraded clutch, Ported intake that has been shaved, ported turbo manifold, new turbo, bigger injectors etc... then it is worth it.

So get a detailed list of everything that comes with the swap and then we can tell you if it's worth it or not.

Thanks for the replies guys. From what I understand its mostly stock. I actually called the shop that rebuilt the head, they are called the dyno shop. He originally brought it in and while tuning it the headgasket blew a small hole, not enough for oil and coolant to even mix. The head was machined and rebuilt stock spec. The cylinder walls and everything else they could see with the head off looked good.

It might have an aftermarket clutch but really not sure about other specifics.

I've read the turbo clutch is recommended, I think he told me it was an aftermarket clutch, ill find out

Thanks for the replies guys. From what I understand its mostly stock. I actually called the shop that rebuilt the head, they are called the dyno shop. He originally brought it in and while tuning it the headgasket blew a small hole, not enough for oil and coolant to even mix. The head was machined and rebuilt stock spec. The cylinder walls and everything else they could see with the head off looked good.

It might have an aftermarket clutch but really not sure about other specifics.

I've read the turbo clutch is recommended, I think he told me it was an aftermarket clutch, ill find out

Does he have reciepts for the work that was done to the engine? How many miles are on the engine? $2000 sounds like a lot, I'd give him a firm offer CASH for $1250 or $1500 and let him sit on that. Even if he's a friend, it's a transaction. Needs to be completed and delivered. The engine could pull hard and sound great, but remember it's 35 years old. 2K can buy you a much newer V8 or maybe a VQ engine too. The advantage to this is it's bolt in. MS can take some tuning. If it's got all the intercooler and even the 5speed tranny included it might be a good deal for $2K but offer $1500 cash (in 20's, it looks quite impressive. in 1's you need a shopping bag)

I sold my old turbo setup with lightned flywheel, full exhaust, 5 speed, FMIC, MBC, MS1 v3.57 with harness already wired up (he had to connect 3 wires to get it running in his car) and some extras I had laying around for $1k. I then turned around and bought a 94 LT1 with 80k on it and WC bw-t5 for that 1k. Sooo not sure if that helps you decide.

Hes convinced its worth even more than 2k. I think I might do it if he literally gives me everything I need to have it running. I might be overpaying a little but for it to be straight forward and not a potential major hassle it might be worth it. That is, if he doesn't sell the car as a whole as he has people looking at it today.

I wouldnt go for it. $1500 is a bit more. I understand that for convenience you are will to pay more but over here I can get a 280zx turbo car running for 2k. Which of course will have everything already since its the whole car already running. I would stay at $1500, but it is your choice and the convenience of having a straight swap is enticing.

Engine - 500

Megasquirt - 500

Harness - 100

Head rebuild - 200

$1300 just for an incomplete set of parts. My estimates are probably (almost certainly) low. You might be missing an opportunity if you really want a turbo motor. There will always be people out there who say they got, or can get, a better deal, and will tell you that you got ripped off.

The quality of the parts is what you need to know to determine value. Compression check, leak-down test, details of the head rebuild (new valves, rockers, cam? - that would be worth a lot more than $200). You don't have enough information to make a well-informed decision.

If you think it's too much, don't buy it.

How hard is this, people?rolleyes.gif

Sounds to me like your rationalizing spending the money as a substitute for lack of ambition to complete the project on your own.

If this is the case, it's a valid reason for paying WHATEVER price someone is asking.

Who cares how many other people 'think' the price is 'too much'---if you want it, buy it. If you think it's too much, don't buy it.

But for gawd's sake don't kvetch about it incessantly worrying what others think about what you paid for the damn thing!

Know what? In 1984 I thought paying $3200 for a 1971 Fairlady Z was too much when I could buy a 1975 with two year inspection on it for $2400.

Someone else bought the car instead.

Today, that $3200 1971 Fairlady Z 432 is worth somewhere upwards of $100,000, whereas the US Model I ended up taking home is worth at best 1/10th of the price.

There's always a reason to do or don't. Rarely will you EVER have knowledge if it's a VALID reason beforehand!

Edited by Tony D

If you think it's too much, don't buy it.

How hard is this, people?rolleyes.gif

Sounds to me like your rationalizing spending the money as a substitute for lack of ambition to complete the project on your own.

If this is the case, it's a valid reason for paying WHATEVER price someone is asking.

Who cares how many other people 'think' the price is 'too much'---if you want it, buy it. If you think it's too much, don't buy it.

But for gawd's sake don't kvetch about it incessantly worrying what others think about what you paid for the damn thing!

Know what? In 1984 I thought paying $3200 for a 1971 Fairlady Z was too much when I could buy a 1975 with two year inspection on it for $2400.

Someone else bought the car instead.

Today, that $3200 1971 Fairlady Z 432 is worth somewhere upwards of $100,000, whereas the US Model I ended up taking home is worth at best 1/10th of the price.

There's always a reason to do or don't. Rarely will you EVER have knowledge if it's a VALID reason beforehand!

FWIW, this is my daily driver. While it is a 'project', it's not a project that I can have sitting for weeks at a time. That being said It is currently running so I could just gather all the parts and wait till i have everything, but why make it more difficult than it has to be? Im holding off on the motor right now to see what others are going for.

Im simply getting peoples opinions because I personally have no clue how much it takes to get it running properly, hence my post.

If it's a solid motor and you want the complete easy to drop in swap, do it. But for me personally, this is what I'd look for in a $2,000 L28ET

1. Freshish Rebuild

2. MS 2 or better

3. T3/T4 or better

4. Decent Intercooler

5. Larger Injectors + Rail

6. Dyno Sheets

Would all that cost more than $2k to do myself? Probably. But the people that get MORE than what they paid for to do something to/with a car are probably less than 2% of car guys out there. You can hardly do a smart, cheap restoration to a '65 mustang and come out even, and that's about as sure of a bet as you can get. Just because someone spent $5k to build a 300+hp L motor doesn't make it worth $5k.

In my experience, if you do all the work yourself you can maybe expect to get 75% of your money back, at best, when going to market.

By contrast, from what I've seen if you're having a shop do the work, you'll be lucky to ever come close to 50% return on what you've spent. I've seen guys dump over $50k in a car just to sell it for $10k. It hurts, but that's the reality of the market. Something is worth what people are willing to pay, and most buyers won't have the emotional tie that you had to your project that made you spend that money in the first place.

But as tony said, this isn't a hard decision. Are you willing to pay for it or aren't you? If it's easy and that's what you want, just spend the frickin' money. If you'd rather do it yourself cheaper, then do it! :-P

Edited by Gollum